all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Active recovery.

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

DavThew

Level 6 Valued Member
Foam rolling? Sauna? Yoga?

What do you do for active recovery and what works best for you?

Sauna is clearly the best in my experience. Combine it with cold showers and it's even better.

Really hot showers can partially do the same as the sauna, but not as well in my experience. But they're better than nothing. I've sometimes spent 10-15 minutes with steaming hot water running only on my thighs after a heavy squat day.

I also do some foam or massage ball rolling. I've had to do it more since I'm in a bit of a sauna exile at the moment.

Walking is good. I wish I had more time for it, or passion. I also like to do a lot of bodyweight squatting, as in a long time sitting in the hole, getting more and more comfortable every time. For example, often when I get up from my computer chair I always get down into a squat first, and stay there for a while.

I like riding my bike and just cruise.

I think any activity where you move your body and keep HR way below maf is good

Hello,

For me this is breathing, cold showers or contrast showers. Easy walking as well.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Antti ....sauna "exile?" But...but...you're FINNISH! How is a sauna exile even possible!?!?!

•••••••••

For myself as far as active recovery, usually my go to has been yoga, walking (dog makes me do it), sometimes OS.

@Antti ....sauna "exile?" But...but...you're FINNISH! How is a sauna exile even possible!?!?!

•••••••••

For myself as far as active recovery, usually my go to has been yoga, walking (dog makes me do it), sometimes OS.

We sold our old place in order to have a bigger house built. In the meantime we have to live in a rented apartment without a sauna of it's own. There are plenty of saunas I can go to but the man's own sauna is different, a special place.

@pet'
No place in the living room for that. :)
I need the garden too, to enjoy not only the sauna, but also the snow between rounds, a a big cold bath, etc.
Slovakia/Hungary have good infrastructures, I still prefer to go to a commercial sauna in this matter. I am going for a day-trip to Budapest this Saturday just for this, by the way.

To be within the thread, for those who did not get it yet, sauna is one part of recovery for me.
An other one is simply walking, but this is something I have always done, and a lot, so I don't even think about it.

Hello,

@Antti
Yes I agree. This was more of a "joke" than anything else. I totally agree with you, and I would not do it neither ! ;) Regarding this kind of structure, I'd prefer to have it in the garden.

All kiding aside, very hot and very cold temperature exposures sounds good to me in terms of active recovery. I noticed even better results since I mix cold and hot. Before, I did only cold exposures but I found more benefits of varying.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Careful with the hot tubs. It can boil the goods so to speak. I read a study somewhere that a soak in the hot tub can cause a 40% decrease in testosterone. :(

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom