all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Active rest

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The way I understand it, the point of active rest is to have a good bloodflow and relax. Walk around, do some light squatting, shake your arms and legs, shadow box, the possibilities are practically endless. Using your bigger muscles, as in your legs and butt, is beneficial for the bloodflow.

Active rest is the correct choice for all breaks you have during your training session.

@Aussie L Welcome to the forum.

Active rest is suggested to "bleed off tension" from the muscles by promoting healthy blood flow through deep breathing and shaking of the limbs.

When practicing hardstyle kettlebell grind and ballistic training, your goal is to achieve a healthy balance between tension (strength / power) AND relaxation (speed / endurance / flexibility) during the lifts.

For more detail, take a look through Pavel's work in "Enter the Kettlebell" and "Simple & Sinister".

Hello,

What is meant by active rest?
IMO, it is doing a soft "exercise" to recover, such as walking, shaking your limbs to get rid of tension (generated by the proper exercise). It helps to get rid of lactic acid and slow down the HR.

What exercises do people do?
I shake my limbs, I do some stretch and / or ab breathing.

Should you actively rest between get ups?
If I should or not, I do not know. Nonetheless I do. I do arm circles and also stretch my neck.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I don't really do this "active rest" thing much. I prefer to just wait until my heart rate has gone down enough for me to feel ready to do the next set. I'm not saying that I'm "right" not to do much of it, but I just don't and I don't see what I'm missing out on by not.

Hello,

I'm not saying that I'm "right" not to do much of it, but I just don't and I don't see what I'm missing out on by not
IMO you are not missing anything. What one does between sets is pretty instinctive actually. If you feel you do not need it (and it seems you do not especially need due to your S&S figures;) ) then keep going.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I've found that when I rest between sets, the rest time is usually shorter and my performance in subsequent sets is better if my rest is 'active' rather than when I sit down between sets. It sounds a little counterintuitive, but the more 'restful' my rest is, the longer it takes me to recover.

+1 @Antti . I usually do a stretch that targets the hip flexor and the soleus at once. I do a long step forward with my feet about parallel pointing forward, back heel on the ground. In that position I tilt my pelvis forward. By keeping the heel on the ground it stretches the soleus/calf, and by tilting the hip it stretches the psoas.

I also do a few sets of calf rises to add some calf work.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom