all posts post new thread

Adam's S&S Training Log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jadam318

Level 1 Valued Member
My Story: My name is Adam. I'm new the forum as of this week, but I have found a TON of information here. I decided that it makes a lot of sense to log this journey to S&S here since I have found this community so helpful.

I became interested in kettlebell training almost a year ago, and I bought a 16KG bell from Rogue. I searched the internet for training programs and learned all I could, but by the end of last year I was frustrated, inconsistent, and giving up. Then I stumbled across an article about Simple and Sinister. I started Simple and Sinister (S&S) back in January after buying Pavel's book and a 24KG bell. I began S&S with the 16KG bell, and, as of a couple of weeks ago, I am now training with the 24KG bell exclusively (except for warm-ups). I love the program. The simplicity of it is what I like so much.

My Stats: I am a 36 year-old male; 5'11", 220 lbs as of yesterday morning. My waist to height ratio is .54 (overweight). I work as a marketing director, which has me tied to a desk 40-50 hours per week. I'm married with our first baby due the day after TOMORROW!!!

Current Performance Level: I am currently capable of 5 sets of 10 single-handed swings per arm in 5 minutes and 10 Turkish get-ups (5 per arm) in 10 minutes using the 24KG kettlebell.

Goals:
  1. Simple - the S&S simple standard of 10x10 1H swings in 5 minutes and 10 TGU in 10 minutes.
  2. Reduce waist to height ratio to .51 or below.
  3. Get back into mountain biking with conditioning that does not hold me back.
  4. Be capable of hiking to the top of Grandfather Mountain (a challenging, 3 hour hike that we frequent) with a kid/toddler strapped to my back.
Challenges:
  1. Time/Unpredictable schedule (new baby). Solution: prioritize training and fitness. Keep it fun, focus on goals, and track progress.
  2. Sugar addiction. Solution: already working on this, but limit intake of refined sugar. Consider eating it no more than one day per week.
  3. Environmental allergies cause breathing problems (nasal obstruction/inflammation). Solution: keep up to date with immunotherapy, prescribed medications. Continue research on inflammation control and Maffetone's Method.
Notes: I learned this week that I have been practicing incorrectly. More here (https://www.strongfirst.com/community/threads/a-revelation-from-the-forum-thanks.14092/), but I was not previously resting long enough between sets of swings. I have changed that for the second half of this week. Also, I need a 32KG kettlebell; I hope to buy that within the next few days.

First Log; week of 4.21.18

Sunday: Rest; went for walk with father-in-law and wife in very hilly, mountain community.
Monday:
  • Warm up: 3 sets - 5 squats (10 reps of curls at bottom of squat 3); 5 back bridges; 5 halos - first two sets with 16KG, third set with 24KG
  • 24KG Swings: 6x10 (3 per arm) 1H, non-stop; 2 minute rest; 4x10 (2 per arm) 1H, non-stop
  • 3 minute rest
  • 24KG TGU: 10x1 (1 per arm)
  • Stretch per S&S protocol
Tuesday:
  • Warm up: 3 sets - 5 squats (10 reps of curls at bottom of squat 3); 5 back bridges; 5 halos - first two sets with 16KG, third set with 24KG
  • 24KG Swings: 6x10 (3 per arm) 1H, non-stop; 2 minute rest; 4x10 (2 per arm) 1H, non-stop
  • 3 minute rest
Wednesday:
  • 3 minute rest
Thursday:
  • 24KG Swings: 10x10 (5 per arm) 1H; 15 seconds of rest between each set of 10
  • 1 minute rest
Friday: Felt ill (nasal obstruction, felt weak, stomach upset)
  • Warm up only
  • lots of water throughout day
Saturday: Felt MUCH better
  • 24KG Swings: 10x10 (5 per arm) 1H, EMOM
  • 1 minute rest
NOTES:
  • Adding rest between swings made workouts MUCH easier. I wish I found this forum a long time ago.
  • Right elbow has felt achy for weeks now. I think this is an old baseball/softball injury, but it feels like tendonitis. Doesn't hurt at all during training, but feels stiff later in day. Keep an eye on this. If it gets worse I will ask the doc about it.
  • Back has been a little stiff this week. Had to be careful not to let it affect my swings. Again, slowing down my swings made this basically a non-issue. Rest day tomorrow will help.

Week of 4/28/19

Sunday: Rest; went for walk with father-in-law and wife in very hilly, mountain community.
Monday:
  • 24KG Swings: 10x10 (5 sets per arm) 1H, EMOM
  • 1 minute rest
  • 24KG TGU: 10x1 (5 per arm)
Tuesday:
  • 1 minute rest

Wednesday:
  • 1 minute rest

Thursday:
  • 1 minute rest

Friday: Right elbow ached; had a dull headache; sinuses inflamed
  • Warm up only
  • lots of water throughout day
  • NOTE: ate like crap on Thursday night; had fried chicken, Texas toast, french fries
Saturday: Felt MUCH better
  • 2 minute rest
NOTES:
  1. My right elbow hurt all day on Friday, from the time I got out of bed until I went back to bed that night. This is an old injury, but the only thing I did out of the ordinary to make it flare up was splurge on a greasy, carb-laden, unhealthy dinner on Thursday night.
  2. Aside from Thursday night and some molasses cookies on Friday, I avoided carbs all week. I felt better and better each consecutive day.
  3. I still have not ordered a 32KG kettlebell. I have plenty of excuses for that, but I feel like I am still getting a good workout with the 24KG. I am focusing on producing power in my swings and practicing good form. The hardest points of the movement for me to do well consistently are keeping my shoulders "packed" and lowering my back the right about at the bottom of the swing. Everything else seems to be coming together.
  4. As I type this, my wife is having contractions! Our baby might arrive today. I want to prioritize my health, but I'm sure our schedules are about to be upended.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom