all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Adapt, Improvise and Overcome and What the Hell Effects

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LoneRider

Level 6 Valued Member
The former phrase in the title: Adapt, Improvise and Overcome is something I've learned in my military service. What the Hell Effects are things I've noticed since I rediscovered Hardstyle Kettlebell training last summer.

I've found Hardstyle Kettlebell training to be quite complimentary to my predominantly barbell based strength training style (more details are here), doing Simple and Sinister 2-3x per week offset from my three barbell days. I actually started getting into Simple with the Getup for 1-2x reps/arm.

In May I went on temporary duty to Korea courtesy of the US Army. When I arrived I found that our gym on base mostly had really light kettlebells with mostly 35 lbs, 40 lbs, a lone 45 lbs bell, and maybe the odd 50 lbs, 60 lbs and one 100 lbs bell.

That's where I had to Adapt, Improvise, and Overcome. In this case I read (or rather re-read) The Russian Kettlebell Challenge - Xtreme Fitness for Hard Living Comrades. The chapter titled The Official Soviet Weghtlifting Textbook System of Training is where I came up with some programming. I built my programming (done on Tuesdays and Thursdays) around the 2 x kettlebell Clean and Jerk and Long Cycle, and Kettlebell snatch with the following being the results:

Tuesday:

2x Kettlebell Clean and Jerk (2 x 35 lbs) - 8x11
8x6 pullups
Kettlbell Snatch at 35 lbs at 5x10/arm
100 yds easy jog (alternate by week, so I will do either 8x100 or 5x100)
3 Punch combo (alternate by week so one week I'll do 5 and the next 8, they offset from the jogs)

- I normally do the 2 KB Clean and Jerk, pullups, and either the 100yds jog or 3 punch (depending on the week) in circuits.
- Same for the snatch and either 3x punch or 100 yds jog done in a circuit

Thursday:

Long Cycle Clean and Jerk at 40 lbs (2 KB) for 6x8
6x6 pullups
6x 3 Punch Combo

Easy 20-25 minute cooldown jog after​

I've noticed the following results as far as What the Hells are concerned:
  • When I was doing S&S back in Hawaii I did have an issue with squatty swings. I noticed my ballistics here in Korea have rather rapidly disabused me of doing that.
  • The easy jogs are lifted out of the Enter the Kettlebell Program Minimum, and I follow the the POSE method of running and as I've been more involved in this Hardstyle Training I notice a snappiness to my easy jogs.
  • I actually was able to execute a good power snatch to overhead squat (admittedly at a modest weight of 65 lbs) with a barbell.
  • I also notice that I cover about 2.5 to 2.8 miles relatively effortlessly on my cooldown jogs.
When I return to Hawaii I'm going back into Simple and Sinister starting with 5x10 swings for two weeks, then 7x10 and then get back to 10x10 at 24 KG. I'm gonna ease my way into the program as I've been away from it for a while. I might try my getups at 24 KG and go from there the first day (that's where I was before I left Hawaii in May).

Again, thanks, Pavel for introducing the kettlebell as a strength and conditioning tool to the West. It's been delivering some great results for me over the years.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom