all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Adding conditioning to S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

smehmood

First Post
Hi all —

I’ve started S&S recently. I feel like I “own” the first kettlebell (18kg for me, since 16kg was out of stock) and just started working in 24kg into my workout. I’m currently practicing about 5 times / week and following the book closely. My prior athletic experience was mostly casual cardio (running, cycling) but in the last few years I had a barbell trainer and got to respectable numbers on the major lifts (past the novice / linear progression stage and into advanced novice / intermediate level).

I’m enjoying S&S but I feel like I need more physical activity than I’m getting because of how sedentary my life has become during the pandemic. I work from home, and often don’t leave the house all day.

My primary goal is fat loss (I need to lose about 30-40 lbs - I’m 5’10” and 210 lbs). I understand that this is 90% diet, and am focused on that. Still - I think it’d be a bit easier if I could add some activity to my day to compensate for my unusually sedentary life style.

Is it reasonable to add additional swings to S&S (perhaps at a different time? spread throughout the day? using lighter weights even as I progress?) for extra conditioning? I’m not sure how to reconcile two things I remember reading: (1) S&S allows enough gas in the tank for other physical activity (2) one of the reasons people don’t succeed with S&S is if they try to add extra things aren’t in the program.

I think adding runs 2-3 / week (on either my off days or my 2H swing days) might work well, but I’d love to have something I can do indoors for days/months when the weather isn’t great.

In short: can I use my kettlebells to add additional physical activity to my day or should I look to other forms of exercise?

Are you doing timed or timeless S&S?

Timed S&S with a bell that is heavy enough to be challenging is pretty effective conditioning all by itself.

Or are you looking more LISS than HIIT?

Hi all —

I’ve started S&S recently. I feel like I “own” the first kettlebell (18kg for me, since 16kg was out of stock) and just started working in 24kg into my workout. I’m currently practicing about 5 times / week and following the book closely. My prior athletic experience was mostly casual cardio (running, cycling) but in the last few years I had a barbell trainer and got to respectable numbers on the major lifts (past the novice / linear progression stage and into advanced novice / intermediate level).

I’m enjoying S&S but I feel like I need more physical activity than I’m getting because of how sedentary my life has become during the pandemic. I work from home, and often don’t leave the house all day.

My primary goal is fat loss (I need to lose about 30-40 lbs - I’m 5’10” and 210 lbs). I understand that this is 90% diet, and am focused on that. Still - I think it’d be a bit easier if I could add some activity to my day to compensate for my unusually sedentary life style.

Is it reasonable to add additional swings to S&S (perhaps at a different time? spread throughout the day? using lighter weights even as I progress?) for extra conditioning? I’m not sure how to reconcile two things I remember reading: (1) S&S allows enough gas in the tank for other physical activity (2) one of the reasons people don’t succeed with S&S is if they try to add extra things aren’t in the program.

I think adding runs 2-3 / week (on either my off days or my 2H swing days) might work well, but I’d love to have something I can do indoors for days/months when the weather isn’t great.

In short: can I use my kettlebells to add additional physical activity to my day or should I look to other forms of exercise?
I would say: Keep it easy and add other forms of beneficial movement. The low hanging fruit, offering health benefits.

Walking, slow jogging, rucking, Yoga, Original Strength resets. Stuff that nourishes you and helps with recovery.

In my experience, walking blends very well with S&S and should help you lose weight even faster than just doing S&S. Its also beneficial activity mentally, especially these times as you stay home pretty much all day. I really recommend adding daily 20-60min walks.

Hi all —

Welcome to SF.
Good advice given thus far...

My two pennies worth....

We never really ‘own’ anything...
Walking and then eventually running is a great adjunct to S&S
Fat loss does indeed happen in the kitchen
The weather needs to be pretty dismal or horrific to not be able to run outdoors. (My perspective)

Again... welcome...

My primary goal is fat loss (I need to lose about 30-40 lbs - I’m 5’10” and 210 lbs). I understand that this is 90% diet, and am focused on that.
+1 on the diet. I’ve been doing S and S for about 3 months and have lost 37lbs as of today. I started about where you’re at. I was 5’8” and 215lbs. Not FAT looking by any stretch. Just looked like a sloppy normal sized guy.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! While no one said it explicitly, it sounds like the general advice is to not add swings, and instead find other cardio to do.

Pavel did say in one of his recent articles that Maffetone HR training (running 3x/week) is a perfect compliment to S&S.

Thanks! Do you have a link to this article? A quick Google search didn’t turn up anything written by Pavel specifically

A couple of things:
1. S&S is great even with lighter weights, but you aren't really getting the full benefit out of it until you reach timeless Simple, which means doing the routine with the 32kg bell. It is a huge difference from doing it with the 24kg bell. S&S with the 32kg bell is, while manageable and doable, still quite a hefty dose of exercise. Once you get to timeless Simple, you'll see that the exercise benefits go way beyond what you were getting with the 24kg bell.
2. Losing weight too fast invites illness. Careful!
3. I too recommend a lot of walking if your main goal is to lose extra fat and to "get fit". Why? It's more exercise than you think - it's a natural movement so it doesn't take conscious effort to do, but it still activates a lot of things in your body, and the heavier you are the bigger a workout it is! Nearly daily (or at least every second day) walks of 75 minutes seem to do the trick for me. Just walking is okay, but without an intense workout plan too like S&S along with walking, walking leaves me kind of jittery needing something more.

Are you doing timed or timeless S&S?

Timed S&S with a bell that is heavy enough to be challenging is pretty effective conditioning all by itself.

Or are you looking more LISS than HIIT?
I agree. It seems it's when folks aren't at the 32kg bell stage yet that they look around for other things.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom