all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Adding press to Simple and Sinister

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Vintage

Level 1 Valued Member
I am 70 kg. I started S&S 5 months ago. Recently achieved timed simple. In fact, get ups with the 32 kg bell feel fairly easy. That said my single arm press in nowhere near 1/2 my body weight, and I can only do one single arm press with the 24kg bell (I see that 5 is the standard for SFG 1). I thought of adding to S&S with a specific press program or continuing on with the 40 kg bell and steploading S&S. Looking for suggestions.

Soju & Tuba (Upgrade Your Strength with the Soju and Tuba Press Program)
On some days just replace your TGUs with S&T presses (or whatever you like, the author says it can be done with basically any grind).
The best way to do this would be alternating the days like this:
Mon, Wed, Fri -> S&S swings + S&T presses instead of TGUs
Tue, Thu,(Sat, Sun) -> S&S as written
@Vintage This is one suggestion from a previous thread. S&T is relatively low volume with a heavy weight mixes well with S&S.

I am 70 kg. I started S&S 5 months ago. Recently achieved timed simple. In fact, get ups with the 32 kg bell feel fairly easy. That said my single arm press in nowhere near 1/2 my body weight, and I can only do one single arm press with the 24kg bell (I see that 5 is the standard for SFG 1). I thought of adding to S&S with a specific press program or continuing on with the 40 kg bell and steploading S&S. Looking for suggestions.

How many strict pushups, dips can you do?

These are often overlooked indicators of your pressing strength potential

I was in the same boat after achieving Simple Timeless. Swings and TGUs with the 32k were no problem, but in no way could I press the 32k. I've started doing Rite of Passage, currently I'm pressing the 20k bell. I have continued to do swings (S&S style) after the clean and presses. My schedule is as follows:
Monday - Heavy day ROP, light day swings (today I did the timed standard with the 24k bell, 10 swings every 30 seconds for 5 mins)
Wednesday - Light day ROP, heavy day swings (1 hand, 32k, timeless....starting to work in 36k sets next week)
Friday - Medium day ROP, medium day swings (2 hand, 36k, timeless.....will start adding in 40k sets)

TGUs tend to bother my knees, so I've switched to doing super light TGUs (12k or 16k bell with long pauses at each transition) and heavy kettlebell loaded carries on the variety days. I'm anticipating the question on TGUs, as I'm not running S&S.

Have you tried started incorporating pike pushups to build your overhead pressing strength??

Another angle is learn to do pushups differently.. learn to create maximal tension rather than just blasting through the reps

Hello,

I enjoyed doing 1 or 2 OA push ups between my TGU.

As @Mark Limbaga said, a better option could be to work on something like 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps of pike push ups at the end of the training. Once it gets easy, adding deficit.

Do you 'grind' to press the 24 ? If not really, working on 2-3 clusters of 2-3 reps would work as well

Something more 'uncommon' could be to do 5-10 dips between sets of swings.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello friend,

I was in a similar situation as you. 62kg BW, achieved timed simple in September.

I used the ROP program and was able to press the 32 for 1 rep. I enjoyed the program and it was a nice change of pace.

Enjoy your training.

You could also dedicate a session a week to doing press TGUs with a lighter weight, where you add a press at each stage of the movement. I think you'll be amazed at how heavy a 16 feels after doing:
Strict Floor Press
Roll to Elbow
Press
Tall Sit
Press
Leg Sweep
Press
Bottom of Lunge
Press (this one is always the hardest for me for some reason)
Press
Bottom of Lunge
Press
Leg Sweep
Press
Tall Sit
Press
Elbow
Press
Floor
Press

@Pavel Macek had one of his MMA fighters doing S&S but replaced the TGU with KB presses every other session. If I'm not mistaken the presses were done for 5 sets of ten reps per side, this should take care of your pressing issues.

My two cents is that if you've achieve timed simple you aren't going to have trouble developing your press. My maximum TGU weight for S&S is 40kg, and I can press the 40kg once each arm. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of other people experience the same phenomenon - that they can press their maximum S&S TGU weight once with each arm.

So... I wonder if, if you continued with the 40kg for your TGU as part of S&S you'd then find pressing with the 32kg not a problem - you'd perhaps be able to do 3 reps without any specific training for it?

I've always done some presses and clean and presses alongside S&S. These are I think the most bang for your time and energy buck moves you can do with kettlebells. I especially do these when I'm tired and don't want to do a full workout that day.

Jumping ship for a whole other programme is a big decision. There are several good programmes people here do for pressing strength, but I think the "go to" one for a lot of people is called "Rite of Passage". I have followed it in the past for a few months and was impressed with it. There is a fair bit of friction on the skin of the hands though with the moves in this program, and that's a whole 'nother problem to deal with. The nice thing with S&S is that there is no problem with skin chafing, at least not for me.

Have you tried started incorporating pike pushups to build your overhead pressing strength??

Another angle is learn to do pushups differently.. learn to create maximal tension rather than just blasting through the reps

+1

I've had my KB press go up, even when I haven't touched a KB in a while, by doing other types and angles of press work.

When my push ups went up, my KB press went up automagically.

Same for BTN / Klokov.

Wow. Thanks to all for the advice and suggestions. I don’t want to deviate to far from S&S as I continue to have steady progress. I will add sets of pike pushups GTG style while at work (I already sneak off and GTG with pistols at work) as well as adding the press at each stage of the TGU on my “light day”. I have been training 6 days a week, already doing a light day with the 24kg kettlebell blasting through the swings and pausing 10 seconds between stages of the TGU. I’ll lower the weight and add presses there as Patterner suggested. I will move forward with the 40kg bell S&S, steploading slowly. I’ll give it 8 weeks and report my press number. Thanks again. I have been slugging it out in the barn for months alone, nice to know there is a community out there

Wow. Thanks to all for the advice and suggestions. I don’t want to deviate to far from S&S as I continue to have steady progress. I will add sets of pike pushups GTG style while at work (I already sneak off and GTG with pistols at work) as well as adding the press at each stage of the TGU on my “light day”. I have been training 6 days a week, already doing a light day with the 24kg kettlebell blasting through the swings and pausing 10 seconds between stages of the TGU. I’ll lower the weight and add presses there as Patterner suggested. I will move forward with the 40kg bell S&S, steploading slowly. I’ll give it 8 weeks and report my press number. Thanks again. I have been slugging it out in the barn for months alone, nice to know there is a community out there
To piggyback @Mark Limbaga , @pet' and @watchnerd, my overhead press has been going up without overhead pressing for the last 3 years.

When I started S&S I was only able to press the 24 a few times. After a while, when I was doing TGU with 40 kg, I picked up the 28 and pressed it.

I then stopped S&S and switched to snatches and other things. Then, this year I have been focusing on push ups and pistols. I am now more or less able of a one arm push up with my right hand. The other day I picked up the 32 and pressed it for the first time, just to see if I could. I weigh about 71 kg by the way. I have done zero overhead pressing lately, and my press is improving nonetheless. The only overhead work I do is a few snatches.

If you are already doing S&S that has a lot of TGU, I think its preferable to do push ups than to do additional overhead work. If you improve your 1 arm push up, and you do a lot of TGU, your press will go up for sure.

By the way, I´m not saying that the indirect way is the best way. However, in the context of practicing S&S, that has a lot of TGU, I think that adding horizontal presses is better than adding overhead presses.

Last edited:
My advice, focus on 1 goal.

If you are making strides with what you're doing, why deviate? Many have tried to incorporate more, and many have failed. Stick with what you're doing for another month or 2, then evaluate. If you feel that you've hit a wall, do something else. If not, keep going.

I think for many people, regardless of how good your technique is, there is a point where you max out your. strength. For me, at 195 lb. it was the 40 kg press. I could push press it, complete the. S+S test with it, clean it, swing it, squat it, but hit the wall. 36kg, I could clean and press 2-3 times each arm. Completed 12 weeks of the Rite of Passage with a 32.

Completing Sinister at 154 lb. might be aggressive.

Not trying to be a downer here, just reality.

Hello,

What @Oscar said really makes me think about an Aleks Salkin's article.

Once, he made a client running S&S, and supplementing it only with OA push ups, using GTG. Shortly after, the client got his 1/2 bdw ovh press.

Kind regards,

Pet'

My advice, focus on 1 goal.

If you are making strides with what you're doing, why deviate? Many have tried to incorporate more, and many have failed. Stick with what you're doing for another month or 2, then evaluate. If you feel that you've hit a wall, do something else. If not, keep going.

I think for many people, regardless of how good your technique is, there is a point where you max out your. strength. For me, at 195 lb. it was the 40 kg press. I could push press it, complete the. S+S test with it, clean it, swing it, squat it, but hit the wall. 36kg, I could clean and press 2-3 times each arm. Completed 12 weeks of the Rite of Passage with a 32.

Completing Sinister at 154 lb. might be aggressive.

Not trying to be a downer here, just reality.
I agree. Focusing on one thing has allowed for the progress I’ve had thus far

Hello,
I will give my little experience...
I practice s&s since 2016, have very good progress but not a good carryover to the press : I'm currently working with 40 and 48 kg for the get-up, and my military press PR is 1 rep with 32kg. The first time I did a 48 kg get-up, I wasn't able to do a 32 kg press. For me, the daily dose press is very easy, very effective (daily dose press) with zero negative effect on S&S. I progress slowly (it's slower than a press plan) but I progress !
I do my DDP the morning (after my morning mobility routine) or just after my &s& session.
I practice s&s three times per week and the daily dose press five days per week.
I'm always looking for strategies allowing to progress in s&s and the press...
Matthieu

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom