Adding press to Simple and Sinister

NormanOsborn

Level 5 Valued Member
I've decided to accentuate the Simple part of S&S: I'll just add some Push Ups for extra pressing work. This should at least stop my strength from degrading while I can't get to the gym and Bench(it will be at least two months before we're allowed back).

Vintage

Level 1 Valued Member
To follow up from my originial post on 12/13, I can press the 24kg bell now for 5 reps each arm. This, from barely being able to push the 24 kg bell for a single rep. I have not tested the with the 32 kg bell yet. I decided to build volume using the techniques described on the StrongFirst site by Myren Fu My Journey to the Beast: Pressing a 48kg Kettlebell | StrongFirst I ran through a 5 week cycle at 20 kg. I taped a brick to the 20 kg bell and ran the cycle again. I am now working on Soju and Tuba with the 24 kg bell. This morning I was supposed to do sets with 3 reps, but I felt good and cranked out 5. I continue on with S&S as well. I continue to do the swings with every training session but the pressing replaced my TGU 3 days of the week. Presently have added the 40kg bell into 4 of the swing sets and 4/10 of TGU on the other days. My weight is 71.5 kg from 70 kg.

Mark Limbaga

Level 7 Valued Member
Elite Certified Instructor
A simpler approach.

Simple strength for difficult times either part 1 or 2 then s and s on separate days

watchnerd

Level 6 Valued Member
To follow up from my originial post on 12/13, I can press the 24kg bell now for 5 reps each arm. This, from barely being able to push the 24 kg bell for a single rep. I have not tested the with the 32 kg bell yet. I decided to build volume using the techniques described on the StrongFirst site by Myren Fu My Journey to the Beast: Pressing a 48kg Kettlebell | StrongFirst I ran through a 5 week cycle at 20 kg. I taped a brick to the 20 kg bell and ran the cycle again. I am now working on Soju and Tuba with the 24 kg bell. This morning I was supposed to do sets with 3 reps, but I felt good and cranked out 5. I continue on with S&S as well. I continue to do the swings with every training session but the pressing replaced my TGU 3 days of the week. Presently have added the 40kg bell into 4 of the swing sets and 4/10 of TGU on the other days. My weight is 71.5 kg from 70 kg.

gotta know:

how much does a brick weigh?

pet'

Level 8 Valued Member
Hello,

@NormanOsborn
I think there are several options which can work. However, if you want to maintain bench press with "regular" push ups, here is an interesting article on the blog:

Otherwise, if we keep using bodyweight training, I did 1 or 2 OA push ups between my GU during S&S, and also practiced them with GTG.

Another option which works well is HSPU between TGU. GTG is possible with HSPU but there will be less volume than with OAP.

Currently, I use some sort of "Easy Strength" with HSPU and OAP (2 sets of 5). This works well. I always add some core training, which is necessary anyway to perform TGU and OVH press, but this is another topic.

Hope that helps

Kind regards,

Pet'

Kozushi

Level 7 Valued Member
Okay, let's set this out straight here: S&S is _NOT_ supposed to detract from other things! If you are interested in pressing, deadlifting, bodyweight training then _DO IT_!!! The book is very helpful in helping you to determine how often to do S&S in order to not interfere with your other lifting adventures.

Since September is the only time in my life with S&S that I have _not_ kept up with other moves. I used to religiously do dips, chinups, one arm pushups, kettlebell presses and for a lot of time also deadlifts all alongside S&S.

Having said all that, I think I made a very good decision last September to _only_ do S&S outside of walking and martial arts. This means I am doing S&S more often and I am consequently doing it better than ever before. My muscles are definitely a lot bigger than they used to be.

However, I want to start reintroducing some moves, at least the deadlift.

Mark Limbaga

Level 7 Valued Member
Elite Certified Instructor
Allow me to ask a difficult question but necessary so we can all move forward

Is S and S the main focus while looking for ways to indirectly nudge up the pressing numbers

Or

Seeking a pressing program which will improve pressing and keeping s and s on the side with indirectly moving forward

barrak

Level 5 Valued Member
Allow me to ask a difficult question but necessary so we can all move forward

Is S and S the main focus while looking for ways to indirectly nudge up the pressing numbers

Or

Seeking a pressing program which will improve pressing and keeping s and s on the side with indirectly moving forward

Unfortunately some would try to go full on with two simultaneous programs. Trying to lasso both with hormones and ego might be exciting for a while... until the sudden and inevitable crash and burn.

banzaiengr

Level 6 Valued Member
Presses along with get-ups can be very tiring on the shoulders.

Right of Passage is the perfect progression to pressing after achieving simple. Do swings on off days of ROP. For get-ups add 4-6 reps as a warm up for your pressing on ROP days.

I've fooled around with a program that would be a combination of the two but never stuck with it. It's less days lifting to allow for the beating that I felt like my body would take. I'll outline it here with a weights I was using and you could fill in with what's appropriate for you.

Monday (Heavy Press Day)
1A Press: 24K/ 3x5
KB Bent Over Press: 32K/3x5
Goblet Squat: 32K/ 3x5

Tuesday (Heavy S&S Day)
1A Swings: 32K/ 10x10
Turkish Get Up: 32K/6x1

Wednesday
OFF

Thursday (Light Press Day)
1A Press: 20K/ 3x5
KB Bent Over Press: 24K/ 3x5
Goblet Squat: 32K/3x5

Friday (Light S&S Day)
1A Swings: 24K/ 10x10
TGU: 24K/ 6-10 x 1

Heavy press day can also be done with three sets of 1,2,&3 reps. Then moving up to 4x5 or 4 sets 1,2,3,4 on the second week. Then 5x5 or 5 sets 1,2,3,4,5 on the third week. I kept the the Bent Over rows the same rep scheme as the lats were getting a beating with swings and get-ups.

The Goblet Squats can look different too. 32K for 5 was relatively easy so I used it both days since I didn't have a 40K at the time.

Top Bottom