all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Adding Resiliance to S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

thomas schmitzer

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi all -

I have been a little all over the board in training the past few yers trying to figure out how to incorporate my kb practice in with my BJJ (I train 4-5 days per week and now also teach).

So I am going back to S&S with the goal of Sinister (I have gotten to the 36KG level in the past). I have had some knee injuries though in competition and training and was doing some of the ATG protocols to strengthen/rehab the knee are specifically. It is too much volume IMO though and I think is causing me to feel over trained.

So I am wondering, how would you incorporate something like KB hack squats for bulletproofing on top of the S&S practice? My knees feel pretty awesome from the ATG stuff and the lunge up on the TGUs have benefited greatly.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Hi all -

I have been a little all over the board in training the past few yers trying to figure out how to incorporate my kb practice in with my BJJ (I train 4-5 days per week and now also teach).

So I am going back to S&S with the goal of Sinister (I have gotten to the 36KG level in the past). I have had some knee injuries though in competition and training and was doing some of the ATG protocols to strengthen/rehab the knee are specifically. It is too much volume IMO though and I think is causing me to feel over trained.

So I am wondering, how would you incorporate something like KB hack squats for bulletproofing on top of the S&S practice? My knees feel pretty awesome from the ATG stuff and the lunge up on the TGUs have benefited greatly.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Maybe add it to the warm up a few days a week in place of the goblet squats.

To prevent overtraining, my two cents:

Do the exercises that seem to help you, but reduce volume and increase frequency, and maybe treat them like a warmup or cool down as opposed to a whole session. I don't know what set/reps/frequency you've been using for the ATG stuff, but this could look something like doing two sets of slightly lower reps than you'd usually do.

For example: instead of something like 3x12, do 2x8 at a slightly lower weight. Maybe as a warmup or cool down to S&S as @ShawnM suggested.

The caveat, as I see it, is that if you need tissue remodeling (i.e. tendon rehab, coming back from an injury, etc) then tissue seems to respond better to higher volume with rest days between. It needs a stimulus to supercompensate for. If you're looking for maintenance and long term health, do it lower volume, higher frequecny, such that you don't feel like it's contributing much at all to fatigue levels. Then, let time take care of the rest. Over a long enough period of time, the tissues will also adapt.

The gist is to expose your body to those ROMs, but not so much that it takes away from recovery.

You could also dig through @Pavel Macek 's log. As I understand it, he does a daily recharge (his "Great Gama Protocol," and martial arts, and he acheived Sinister. Pehaps it would shed some insight.

To prevent overtraining, my two cents:

Do the exercises that seem to help you, but reduce volume and increase frequency, and maybe treat them like a warmup or cool down as opposed to a whole session. I don't know what set/reps/frequency you've been using for the ATG stuff, but this could look something like doing two sets of slightly lower reps than you'd usually do.

For example: instead of something like 3x12, do 2x8 at a slightly lower weight. Maybe as a warmup or cool down to S&S as @ShawnM suggested.

The caveat, as I see it, is that if you need tissue remodeling (i.e. tendon rehab, coming back from an injury, etc) then tissue seems to respond better to higher volume with rest days between. It needs a stimulus to supercompensate for. If you're looking for maintenance and long term health, do it lower volume, higher frequecny, such that you don't feel like it's contributing much at all to fatigue levels. Then, let time take care of the rest. Over a long enough period of time, the tissues will also adapt.

The gist is to expose your body to those ROMs, but not so much that it takes away from recovery.

You could also dig through @Pavel Macek 's log. As I understand it, he does a daily recharge (his "Great Gama Protocol," and martial arts, and he acheived Sinister. Pehaps it would shed some insight.
excellent thank you very much for the response. There is probably a physiological paradox I am pursuing so gott be real

Apart from the S and S practice.. (remember since 36kg is your "competition" standard, you need to build your "drill standard" )

Ground force method exploration
Original strength resets
Strongfirst resilient drills by @Pavel Macek

The "in between strength" helps you get further. These are the intangibles that are the equivalent in BJJ of staying heavy when in top control, getting the underhook on half guard (you get the idea)

Hope this helps

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom