all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Adding resistance bands vs heavier bell

Georgiaoutdoors

Level 5 Valued Member
Been doing a good amount of kettlebell training lately, but taking my time to progress conservatively. IN my home gym I currently have a 52 pound kettlebell and I am comfortable swinging for 10x10 in my main training sessions (along with some presses, pulls, getups, goblet squats). I am wanting to progress and considering adding a 70lb kettlebell to my home equipment. That being said, I also already own a decent set of resistance bands that I can use with the kettlebell. The appeal with the resistance bands is that I already own them and don't have to spend the money on another kettlebell right now. We have a 7 month old, so there's plenty of new expenses. I can afford a new bell, but there's also other things I'd like to spend $$ on. So, what are the perceived pros/cons of using resistance bands with my 52lb bell rather than buying a larger one?

This doesn't answer your question directly, but I did want to post a caveat if you decide on the new bell. Like you, I have a 52 that was my heaviest. I decided to move up to a 70 and ordered one. I find that 70 painful to use for any pressing motion. The handle is about 1/2 an inch higher than the 52. The 70 drops just a bit lower on my forearm and digs in. Maybe other factors than that involved. More experienced folks might know why there is such a difference between the two. Anyway, try to test it out if possible or just make sure where you buy it has a good return policy.

I would definitely invest into a heavier bell... Outside of swings you can't attach bands to other movements, honestly during covid when I started investing home KBs I had bare bones of a 16kg, 2 24s, & a 32.... I could do anything with those, S&S, double KB movements like presses and f. Squats etc

I find that 70 painful to use for any pressing motion. The handle is about 1/2 an inch higher than the 52. The 70 drops just a bit lower on my forearm and digs in. Maybe other factors than that involved.
My 20kg Kbell hurts my forearm whereas my 24kg doesn't.
Cut a small chunk off a thin el cheapo yoga mat and taped it to the right spot on the offending 20kg kettlebell - doesn't hurt any more.

I currently have a 52 pound kettlebell and I am comfortable swinging for 10x10....I am wanting to progress and considering adding a 70lb kettlebell to my home equipment. That being said, I also already own a decent set of resistance bands that I can use with the kettlebell. The appeal with the resistance bands is that I already own them and don't have to spend the money on another kettlebell right now. We have a 7 month old, so there's plenty of new expenses. I can afford a new bell, but there's also other things I'd like to spend $$ on. So, what are the perceived pros/cons of using resistance bands with my 52lb bell rather than buying a larger one?

Hungarian Core Blaster

If you are intrested in performing Heavier Kettlebell Swings, the Hungarian Core Blaster is a great optiion. However, Kettlebell Swings are all you can do with it.

You can make your own Hungarian Core Blaster for a little over $20 with some pipe from Lowes.

The additional expense will be some Standard Weight Plates.

I've had a Hungarian Core Blaster for years. You can adjust the load as you like. I have worked up to 170 lb Swings.

How To Make A Hungarian Core Blaster and How It Works

This video demonstrates how to make it and how it works.

Banded Kettlebell Swings

This is an effective method of increasing resistance.

One of the main benefits is that Banded Kettlebell Swing ensures that Power in the Swing is developed through a greater Range of The Movement. As the Band Resistance increases you are requried to continue to exert as much Force as possible.

In Kettlebell Swing when you allow the Bell to "Float" the momentum to take over. You are not long producing Force and developing Power.

Overspeed Eccentric Kettlebell Swings

Dr Craig Marker demonstrates the Banded Kettlebell Swing.

As Marker noted, one of Banded Kettlebell Swings is "Overspeed Training".

The Band increase the Eccentric Force as it falls down into the bottom hole position of the Swing.

It increases...

The Stretch Reflex

Eliciting the Stretch Reflex in any movement increase Power Output.

The Stretch Reflex is like stretching a band and the allow it to pop back.

Reseach show that up to 18% more Power is produce when Stretch Reflex is preloaded.

Bands are great. No reason to not use them. Of course, they're not practical for every exercise, but don't let it stop you from using them on ones they suit well.

I would definitely invest into a heavier bell... Outside of swings you can't attach bands to other movements, honestly during covid when I started investing home KBs I had bare bones of a 16kg, 2 24s, & a 32.... I could do anything with those, S&S, double KB movements like presses and f. Squats etc

Why exactly one can't attach bands to other movements outside of swings?

Get Kenneth Jays book about pressing - he has some press variations using a band attached to a kettlebell and there is another variation where he has an upper and a lower kettlebell joined by a band Perfecting the Press by Kenneth Jay

EDIT : $4.00 for ebook on Amazon Perfecting the Press! : How to Maximize Your Performance in the Kettlebell Military Press by Kennethy Jay (2010-08-02) - Kennethy Jay | 9780938045786 | Amazon.com.au | Books

Bands are great. No reason to not use them. Of course, they're not practical for every exercise, but don't let it stop you from using them on ones they suit well.

I’d imagine it’s possible to add a band to overhead presses. Although, because of past shoulder issues I’m more interested in increasing quality reps with my 52lb than going up to 70 very soon.

I can see adding bands to goblet squat and I suppose some form of row with the kettlebell.

I’d imagine it’s possible to add a band to overhead presses. Although, because of past shoulder issues I’m more interested in increasing quality reps with my 52lb than going up to 70 very soon.

I can see adding bands to goblet squat and I suppose some form of row with the kettlebell.

Presses, floor presses, rows, though they're not something I would add bands to, different squats, good mornings, swings, deadlifts, what else and what else do you need?

Get a heavier Kettlebell.

Use the band for Band-resisted exercises that can be used for both strength endurance and A+A protocols.

what are the perceived pros/cons of using resistance bands with my 52lb bell rather than buying a larger one?

When I have used bands with kettlebell presses, I found about half my goal press weight was about right, IOW, when I press 28 kg for a few reps but couldn't press 32 kg yet, I used 16 and 20 kg bells with a mini band and I think it was helpful. But a heavier weight landed in some funny in-between land, too heavy additional resistance with bands but too light for most of pressing training.

I would caution against pressing only with bands - I did this for a week while on the road once and it messed up my press groove.

Bands with presses are the only way I've used them and thus the only things I'll comment on.

-S-

Back
Top Bottom