all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Adding S&S to actual training ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Olive

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello,

new to the boards... and to the kettlebells. Got a few questions on combining Simple & Sinister to my actual training. :)

Actually, I'm doing essentially bodyweight training plus running 3 or 4 times a week.
I also do some systema on mondays and wednesdays, though I've missed a lot of lessons this year, that's also one of the reasons I'm changing my training. As my consistency to train has decreased, I've ordered kettlebells to start Simple & Sinister. I like the apparent simplicity of the program, to have 'short' and simple training sessions.

As I don't want to drop calisthenics, I consider starting naked Warrior again, and keep doing some pullups and bridges...

Here's what I plan to do :

Naked warrior from monday to friday (pushups & squats)

Monday
- morning : S&S
- noon : running, pullups
- evening : systema

Tuesday (rest day)
- morning : super joints

Wednesday
- evening : systema

Thursday (rest day)
- morning : super joints

Friday

Week-end : generally one running session and plenty of rest.

I've no experience with kettlebell training. Does it seem coherent and balanced ? Sustainable for a kettlebell beginner ? Thanks for your answers. :)

Hi. I started running some years ago as a way to do sport again after many sportless years except occasional walks. Now, I run because I enjoy it. Either with friends for "social" jogs or alone for more "meditative" runs, those are good times. Every time I've had to stop running, I missed it.

@Olive, Welcome to StrongFirst!

We recommend you make S&S a focus for yourself until you've acquired sufficient skill to be able to put it on the proverbial back burner without adversely effecting your safety or performance.

Reaching the Simple goal is a good place to make that transition.

Therefore, for a beginner, try to do S&S every day. As the weight increases, this schedule will become self-adjusting - you won't want to do it every day because it will become too taxing along with everything else you're doing, and that's another way to make the transition from front to back burner.

Hope that's helpful to you.

-S-

OK, I'll be on holidays for 2 weeks soon, I'll cut other activities for this time to focus on S&S. I'll have plenty of time to learn the technique and see how much energy it takes. Thanks. :)

OK, I'll be on holidays for 2 weeks soon, I'll cut other activities for this time to focus on S&S. I'll have plenty of time to learn the technique and see how much energy it takes. Thanks. :)

Have you read the book? This was one of mine wtf-moments. It actually gives more than it takes away :)

I've bought and had a quick reading of the book (skipped the parts explaining the technique as I don't have the kettlebells yet, hopefully Saturday). I expect an improvement of my working capacity on the long run, but I'd be amazed to feel refreshed after a hard workout. Though maybe that's what will happen, there's the same word in S&S and in Super Joints to describe the workouts : a "recharge".

For me consistency only happens when I do something everyday. You seem used to a split schedule, so maybe it's not an issue. But don't underestimate the power of doing less things everyday. It's definitely a cure for inconsistency.

I would second reading and rereading. There is a lot of information that only reveals itself once you can connect the words with your experience.

Definitely heed the advice outlined in this forum, I have been guilty of program hopping and it really held me back. I have been following S and S religiously for a while now and I feel great. I have incorporated OS as well and it's worth looking into.
" there is a lot of information that only reveals itself once you can connect the words with the experience."@Travis
That sums up S and S and Pavel's work kin general. I'm re-reading it probably once a month and still learning.
Good luck.

Oddly enough I pulled out my copy of S&S and was reminded of just how much Gold their is in the book.
Take your time and read it and read it again - it will not hurt.

Yep, I've started reading it again yesterday, there are still a lot of little details to clarify ;) . Also have Naked Warrior to read again. Lots of reading ahead. :rolleyes:

TravisDirks said:
For me consistency only happens when I do something everyday. You seem used to a split schedule, so maybe it's not an issue. But don't underestimate the power of doing less things everyday. It's definitely a cure for inconsistency.

Actually I'm doing the same routine almost every morning from monday to friday (most of super joints plus a dozen bw exercises (1 set each)), it's later in the day that discipline fades away :D . It's just that... I'm not sure it's prudent to start lifting daily, especially since I've quit lifting iron since a few years. Plus don't want to quit super joints and doing both S&S + super joints will certainly take too much time. I'll check during the holidays if both are doable in a reasonable amount of time.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom