all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Adding swings to bodyweight work

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

shinch

Level 5 Valued Member
I'm trying to get back in shape after a long layoff.
And evaluating my current state I'm starting at the bottom.
I'm essentially so deconditoned that I need to come at it as a beginner.

I want to work on grind style bodyweight exercises.

But I want to add in KB swings for the athletic, strength and conditioning aspects of ballistics.

How should I program them in? As the old ETK PM were its 2 times a week? A simple 5x10 set rep scheme?

Thanks.

From Dan John's 10,000 swing workout:

10 Swings
1 rep in a basic strength move
15 Swings
2 reps in a basic strength move
25 Swings
3 reps in a basic strength move
50 Swings.
Rest longer here, but rest as you need as you go.
Repeat four more times for a total of five times

I understand that you might not be able to do this right away, but hear me out. I've been treating this as a "ladder" lately, i.e. I work towards one round of the above, and as I feel comfortable, add rounds with the goal of eventually completing all five rounds. Per his article, I use the following weekly template:

Sunday-Off
Monday-10,000 swing template with presses as the strength move (currently handstand pushup)
Tuesday-10,000 swing template with upper body pulls as the strength move (currently chinups...my doorway pullup bar lends itself better to these than actual pullups in my opinion)
Wednesday-Off
Thursday-Repeat Monday
Friday-Repeat Tuesday
Saturday-Off

This may not be what you're looking for, but it's easy to program because everything is using the ladder style of progression and you can scale the ballistics to whatever weight you can handle at the moment.

I do kettlebell swings daily as a MetCon part of my workout which is in most bodyweight workout. I believe that the swings are the fundamental for strength and conditioning and that is why I do them.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom