all posts post new thread

Barbell Adding the Squat to Power to the People?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I thought he wanted to add squats in addition to DLs?
So maybe schedule 2 week cycle of squats and then 2 weeks of deadlift. Or maybe alternate them daily. Squat and press Monday, deadlift and press Tuesday, and so on.

Maybe. I don't know. I'm happy with deadlift and press. But I did take a cycle of zercher squats and presses in a PTTP like cycle. That seemed to work out just fine.

Last edited:
Does it have to be barbell squat? I was thinking about 3-5 sets of 5 - 8 reps belt squat at the end of the week for legs/glutes hypertrophy and get familiar with squat pattern. After 2 - 3 months of PTTP with deadlift switch to barbell squat and adding RDL at the end of the week with the similar fashion...

Dan John has spoken about adding squats to PTTP and Easy Strength and advises against it. As weights get higher you are no longer doing a quick and efficient training session as warm ups can last forever. He does advocate for heavy goblet squats or heavy double kettlebell front squats.
When I ran PTTP I used heavy goblet squats super setted with pull ups after doing my deadlifts and presses and it worked well.

I would alternate blocks of deadlift + press of choice and squat + press of choice. You can also change what squat or deadlift exactly you do, like do a front squat or stiff leg deadlift.

I don't think the PTTP cycle is meant to be that long. You don't lose any strength in any lift you don't do for one block.

Usually it's the martial arts guys, who want to add in everything. :)

You can add squats, sure. When you realize that you're getting the most out of the program as you think you should, then you'll do the program as it has been written.

Or, make up your own program. Nothing wrong with 5 x 5 of bench, deadlifts and squats 3 x a week.

Any you would recommend? I was attracted to PTTP because it emphasized training the nervous system and not packing on muscle. I also thought that the low volume high frequency approach would be a good pair with the military lifestyle where I'll be active.
For what I would recommend - how strong are you? How long have you been lifting? What are you actually trying accomplish?

A very simple (and classic, and flexible) setup is Squat-Push-Pull - no purchase necessary, some assembly required. This can be made to made to work in a wide variety of circumstances, which I think is going to help you succeed.
Day 1Day 2Day 3
Squat - Main MovementSquat - Alternate MovementSquat - Alternate Movement
Press - Alternate MovementPress - Main MovementPress - Alternate Movement
Pull - Alternate MovementPull - Alternate MovementPull - Main Movement

Main can be barbell-based. Alternates aren't. Pick 1 main and 1-2 alternates for each movement category. Squat, Trap Bar Deadlift, Bench, and Press are excellent mains; DB stiff leg deadlifts, DB Incline Bench, DB Incline Row, and DB Goblet Squats are excellent alternates. Dips and pull-ups can be used if you can do sets of more than 5. Focus on good reps. Be progressive - add weight, or sets, or reps gradually. There's a lot of progression schemes out there. I like the double progression model; here are three ways to run that. You can do that with a single top set (e.g. I did 5 reps with 225, I stick with that week to week until I can do 9 or 10 reps with 225, then I'll add weight and repeat) or a more volumized-version - e.g. I did 3x5 with 225, each week I try to do more reps until I can do 3x8, then add weight and repeat - or even more volume - e.g. first grow 3 sets into 5 sets, then grow sets of 5 into sets of 8, then add weight.

For the alternate movements I like dumbbells and growing them from 3x8 to 5x12 and then going to the next size of dumbbells and starting back over with 3x8.

For main movements I like the single top set approach, or if I do three sets, the first two are sets of 5 and the third set is the only one I rep out (so it would start out as 3x5, and I'd add 10lbs when I got 5, 5, 10).

If you are doing a ton of group PT/FTXs/running/rucking cut it down to 2 days a week and cut out the barbell squat. I know you want to squat. That's great. Too much barbell squatting really got in the way for me, so I'd cut that out first. You might not need to, but that's my recc.

A good plan is largely dependent on how experienced you are with the squat/bench/deadlift, what group PT you are required to do, what job stresses you're going to be dealing with (such as long FTXs), and what other training you are doing outside (I mountain biked on weekends, played flag football, etc.). The more running and rucking you have to do, or the more often you're doing field training exercises that impact training, or the more physically stressful your job is, the more you have to adapt your training. A high-frequency plan like PTTP would NOT be one I would recommend out the gate when you're also adding in company PT and a physically demanding job. A flexible plan is more advisable than a rigid plan.

It also depends on what your actual goal(s) is(are), how often you take your ACFT, and how easy (or hard) the events are for you (and how easy/hard it is for your to score acceptably for your unit/job)...

Be prepared to adapt based on your unit PT.

For general training, there are a lot of good basic plans out there. Jim Wendler has good ones, Barbell Medicine has good ones. Faleev is a good one. Reg Park 5x5 is a classic. Mike Mahler has a good Kettlebell/Barbell Fusion. There's a book called FIT by Lon Kilgore that's good - if you really want to start expanding your understanding of training, buy FIT and start reading through it. The list goes on. There are TONS of programs out there that combine a squat, a deadlift, and a bench!

If after all this you're deadset on PTTP, use a full zercher lift instead of trying to do both a squat and a deadlift.

Packing on muscle is largely due to diet. If you're eating at or below maintenance, you won't gain much muscle. If you're a beginner, you may still see some muscle gain, but if you start seeing that weight tick up ... start eating less - or start running more. Or maybe stop blaming the weights and start blaming all that alcohol... ;) Depending on your job and your size, maxing out your height/weight while staying relatively lean (12-15%BF) could actually be a good idea and help (I'm thinking of all my 240B gunners and my 11 charlies out there), provided you aren't also risking failing height/weight or your ACFT. If it becomes an issue, switch to 3s and 5s. (e.g. double progression model start with 3x3, grow to 5x3, then grow to 5x5, then restart).

If you decide to run a setup like I laid out and have any questions feel free to reach out after basic etc.

Nothing wrong with 5 x 5 of bench, deadlifts and squats 3 x a week.
Nice and simple. Or you could do the 3-5 method: 3-5 sets, 3-5 reps, 3-5 minutes rest, 3-5 days rest between individual exercises. Something like that might be a little more flexible, as @John K was suggesting. I also like his idea of doing main and alternate lifts.

If you're doing a lot of other GPP type training, then as long as you're hitting each lift at least one day a week, you might be fine. Even just one day of heavy lifting and a second day of the same lift, but lighter, would probably work. Since you're not entering a competition I would focus on maintaining/acheiving what you need for your military role, and then letting the strength come at a pace that you can maintain (meaning, you aren't racing to get stronger at the expense of recovery/stress load). Your job will come first, so you want to make sure you're not overdoing it. I always say that you can do more later/next time, but you can't undo what you did today. What you did today will affect what you can do tomorrow.

I did this kind of rotation, pttp style for a little while (one wave cycle). When you move slowly (3-5 sec down/up) not very many sets needed. Assistance was javelin press +other things that I don't remember, choose what you need. Do only 2-3 assistance moves +abs.

Mon SQ+assist, Tue BP+DL, Thu SQ+BP, Fri DL+assist.

In rhe PTTP book there is mention of a program by Rogoznikov. Look it up, it might help. It incorporates squat, bench, and deadline in a logical pattern. You could switch KB press with benchi g.

I'm looking for a minimalist program that focuses on the Bench, Squat, and Deadlift. PTTP is an extremely interesting program to me and I hear great things about it. I want to implement it as soon as I'm done with bootcamp and whatnot. But I am curious if it'd be too taxing to add Squats to the program? Squatting and Deadlifting x5 a week in the same workout? What if I alternated between Deadlift and a press and then Squat and a press? Could increasing my Squat mean my Deadlift can still go up despite training it half as often?
I’m not sure anyone has responded with this so far but this is the best you will find from Pavel focused purely on all of the big 3. I’ve ran it once around 18 months ago and I’m currently running it again now. On my first cycle I gained app 85kg on my total in 3 months as a novice. It’s simple, really simple yet effective. Enjoy….

Also regarding using squats in PTTP, follow this link to a conversation we had here previously. This has links back to comments from Pavel on this exact subject on the DD forum.

I’m not sure anyone has responded with this so far but this is the best you will find from Pavel focused purely on all of the big 3. I’ve ran it once around 18 months ago and I’m currently running it again now. On my first cycle I gained app 85kg on my total in 3 months as a novice. It’s simple, really simple yet effective. Enjoy….

Also regarding using squats in PTTP, follow this link to a conversation we had here previously. This has links back to comments from Pavel on this exact subject on the DD forum.

"Reload" can be 2, 3, 4, 6,... I'd have to reread it to be sure... 8 lifts.
Definitely BP, SQ and DL.

"Reload" can be 2, 3, 4, 6,... I'd have to reread it to be sure... 8 lifts.
Definitely BP, SQ and DL.
Thanks for pointing this out. I’m not sure why I’ve never looked into this in more detail.

Reading into a bit there it seems like a nice follow on from Faleev 5x5 after hitting a wall.

Thanks for pointing this out. I’m not sure why I’ve never looked into this in more detail.

Reading into a bit there it seems like a nice follow on from Faleev 5x5 after hitting a wall.
I reread and it can be up to 12 exercises if you include the full plan with accessory lifts.
I don't know Faleev 5x5 but I think it is great. The tailored approach relative to the athlete's strength endurance has repeatedly provided results for me personally.

I reread and it can be up to 12 exercises if you include the full plan with accessory lifts.
I don't know Faleev 5x5 but I think it is great. The tailored approach relative to the athlete's strength endurance has repeatedly provided results for me personally.
Have you read deadlift dynamite? Any preference over the two if so?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom