all posts post new thread

Barbell Adding to Faleev's 80/20 program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mrdave100

Level 5 Valued Member
I’m currently following the Faleev 80/20 program, AS WRITTEN and at the risk of being one of those guys who completely changes a program and then proclaims the program not to work when the bastardized version fails, would it be possible to include hip thrusts into the program? If so, I was thinking 2 days a week, 2 sets of 20 reps and add weight after easily hitting 2 sets of 25. Maybe even make one of the days a lighter day in terms of weight??? Any thoughts as to which days of the program or weekend may be best? I don’t want to impede my recovery, especially with the deadlifts. Thanks for reading.

So you're currently doing 5x5 squats, deadlifts, and benches and then 5x4 @80% for squats and bench, and adding 10lbs whenever you can actually complete the 5x5?

May I ask why you want to add hip thrusts? (And out of curiosity how long you've been doing 80/20?)

Yes.
I’m only in my 3rd week.
I’ve been working with a chiropractor doing lots of mobility and corrective exercises to regain mobility and I’ve noticed my glutes don’t always fire on some exercises or one side fires and the other doesn’t. Just trying to experiment and see what else might help.

I lay on the floor with a towel between my knees and do hip thrusts as a warmup before I deadlift. This is a hip thrust, right? After that, I do a few sets of 5 double hand kbell swings with one 24 kg bell. These are "shadow swings", maximum concentric and eccentric power. I do these because they help me wake up my glutes and posterior before I deadlift.

Yes.
I’m only in my 3rd week.
I’ve been working with a chiropractor doing lots of mobility and corrective exercises to regain mobility and I’ve noticed my glutes don’t always fire on some exercises or one side fires and the other doesn’t. Just trying to experiment and see what else might help.
This is my suggestion: do glute bridges or hip thrusts before squats and deadlifts, but keep the focus the focus ("wake up" your glutes) - the focus is on the squeeze and not on weight or adding weight. I have found 3 sets of 5, with each rep held for a slow 3-5 count, to work. This is actually one of the three things Pavel suggests as a warm up in S&S, to help people learn to use their glutes. Using it this way (as part of your warm up) would help you get the benefits you're looking for without getting in the way of recovery.

3x5 glute bridges, as featured in S&S, and you are good to go. No distraction.

You might find this thread interesting

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom