all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Adding weight to Kettlebell

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

IMayAgainKnowChris

Level 5 Valued Member
Anyone have any luck or cautions against duct taping 2x 10lb plates to the bottom of a 24kg kettlebell? Trying to think ahead since all the KB are out of stock (well, ACTUALLY amazon had a 28kg for $1000. Lol)

I’m sure people have done more with less. Figured I’d see what everyone’s thoughts were.

I've used industrial velcro for this. That stuff is surprisingly strong. Also nice to be able to remove and add the plates back on if you need to.

How did you go about using it Rumsmike? Any pictures? Just trying to imagine the set up and how you did it as im wondering the same thing about securely attaching a 5kg plate onto the bottom of my 24kg bell.

I’ve been trying to get a 24kg for a few months now so that I would have a set, but all online sources have been sold out. I kept checking in weekly with a local supplier in my town but he has no idea when his orders would be filled.
On the weekend I finally found a 24kg available online for $97 CDN but after adding tax and shipping it would have been $239. I decided before I did something desperate I better check with the local guy again. Called him and he had just received an order with the first kettlebells he’d seen since March and got 6 - 24kg and still had two. I was there within 15 mins and got the last one for $107 total. Got lucky ?

Anyone have any luck or cautions against duct taping 2x 10lb plates to the bottom of a 24kg kettlebell? Trying to think ahead since all the KB are out of stock (well, ACTUALLY amazon had a 28kg for $1000. Lol)

I’m sure people have done more with less. Figured I’d see what everyone’s thoughts were.

I have competition style bells, so they all have a hole in the bottom.

I took an empty plastic softbottle, stuffed it through the hole, filled it up with water.

Math is easy, as 1 liter = 1 kg.

@DaveS I'm actually away from home right now for a couple of weeks so I can't send a photo. I just covered as much of the flat base of the bell as I could (32kg competition) with velcro and then covered the plates to match. I guess this may only work if your plates are flat, which mine are (I'm using 4kg plates from a Kettlebell Kings / Bells of Steel adjustable competition bell.) Lots of surface area contact so once they're attached it's actually a little difficult to pry apart. Worked great to get me a usable 40kg bell until I was able to source one.

@IMayAgainKnowChris I have used a ratchet strap. Worked great. I´ll try to find a photo.

EDIT: Here it is. You´ll need plates with handles, that way you pass the straps by the handle holes. It works great. In this setup I was doing Armour Building Complex with 20 kg and 21 kg (16 kg + 2*2.5 kg).

I stole this idea from @Manuel Fortin, who was cosidering fabricating specific 2 kg weights to use like this.

After using it like in the photo, I have now purchased a 1.5 kg lead ballast for diving, so I use a 2.5 kg plate + 1.5 kg ballast = 4 kg. I have all kettlebells from 16 to 32 in singles, so with this setup I can use doubles from 20 kg to 32 kg, in 4 kg increments.

Kettlebell ratchet strap.jpg

Last edited:
The market is also dry over here. I decided to start with kettlebells in March. It was a bad idea, not the kettlebells but March. I ordered a 16kg, and after waiting for two months I changed the order for a 20, that they had. When the 20 is too small I will either increase volume or change the exercise to make it more challenging.

I had a bad experience with some home made equipment. Dropped on my toe, broke it badly and I was limping for six months. I will avoid home modified equipment.

@DaveS I'm actually away from home right now for a couple of weeks so I can't send a photo. I just covered as much of the flat base of the bell as I could (32kg competition) with velcro and then covered the plates to match. I guess this may only work if your plates are flat, which mine are (I'm using 4kg plates from a Kettlebell Kings / Bells of Steel adjustable competition bell.) Lots of surface area contact so once they're attached it's actually a little difficult to pry apart. Worked great to get me a usable 40kg bell until I was able to source one.

Ah i see they’re flat plates, all my spare plates are really old york cast iron with york printed name etc on them so they are not flat as such, good idea with the velcro though! ?

@IMayAgainKnowChris I have used a ratchet strap. Worked great. I´ll try to find a photo.

EDIT: Here it is. You´ll need plates with handles, that way you pass the straps by the handle holes. It works great. In this setup I was doing Armour Building Complex with 20 kg and 21 kg (16 kg + 2*2.5 kg).

I stole this idea from @Manuel Fortin, who was cosidering fabricating specific 2 kg weights to use like this.

After using it like in the photo, I have now purchased a 1.5 kg lead ballast for diving, so I use a 2.5 kg plate + 1.5 kg ballast = 4 kg. I have all kettlebells from 16 to 32 in singles, so with this setup I can use doubles from 20 kg to 32 kg, in 4 kg increments.

View attachment 10848

Thanks for the reply and taking the time to do a photo, clever idea and now makes sense to me because you have plates with handles, i was struggling to imagine how you would secure the plate but wholes in the plates makes it easy, iv only got rust old cast iron york plates at the minute so back to the drawing board hmmm ?

By the way, Rogue is getting resupplied every week or two weeks. They sell out quickly though. Prices are reasonable.

@Rumsmike, your kettlebell looks like a bulldog.
Yeah everytime I look at my kettlebell it reminds me of my Boston terrier so I photoshopped this avatar together. At some point I think I'm actually going to paint one up like this and then my wife might let me leave them lying around the living room ?

Yeah everytime I look at my kettlebell it reminds me of my Boston terrier so I photoshopped this avatar together. At some point I think I'm actually going to paint one up like this and then my wife might let me leave them lying around the living room ?
That would look great on any living room. Now I´m gonna have to buy a 40 and paint it like that.

I used a combination of Gorilla Glue and Gorilla Tape to go from 24 to 28ish. Worked great, I'll post a picture later. I did this four years ago and haven't had an issue yet.

One thing I would not recommend is really strong magnets. I bought some for adding weight to my kbs and found them to be really fragile; I tried to slide off a few from the pack and they instantly snapped.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom