all posts post new thread

Barbell Adductor strain from squatting?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Michael D

Level 1 Valued Member
I've been having issues with muscles in my groin area, inner thighs (both sides), and front of the hip (mostly right side). It started after some heavy squatting about 3 weeks ago, and it does not seem to go away even though there is an occasional relief here and there.

It manifests the most when I am coming out of the squat about 3/4 of the way up, or out of the hip hinge (so no KB swings for a while), or shifting weight from foot to foot as in standing on one foot. Also when I try to squeeze the ball between my knees, when I relax adductors hurt a lot, especially if I hold the squeeze for several seconds! I tried foam rolling and massage, but nothing seems to help. I am also seeing a physio therapist, but she doesn't seem to see an issue in this... I came with a lower back problem a while ago, and she seems to be fixated on that, even though I don't have any lower back pain issues for some time now, and specifically mentioned groin pain several times.

I tried squatting this morning, and I was doing ok with warm up weight, but as soon as I switched to the working weight, adductors started to hurt again. I had to stop. It is frustrating as I feel I just started making good progress on my squats. And now because of the pain, if I am not warmed I have a very hard time coming out of the squat even just with bodyweight, or very light weight (like while picking up my 2 year old).

Looking back, I think what caused it is my lifestyle (mostly sitting at the desk, or in the car), progressing with weights a bit too quickly, squat form being off on heavier weights, also not being able to recover quickly enough from doing Stronglifts 5x5 3 times a week.

I am wondering if anyone had a similar experience, and what have you done to fix the problem?

^ what he said.

IF you are clear of any tissue damage I suggest OS rocking to get that tissue quality back.

@MikeMoran thank you, I will give it a try.

@natewhite39 I really hope it is nothing serious. I just found something called Bill Starr Rehab routine, and want to give it a try. It starts off with 3x25 squats with an empty bar. I don't have a problem squatting with an empty bar after a good warm up, so I will give it a try, and see if larger volume makes the difference.

What is OS rocking?

Original Strength is a movement system led by Tim Anderson and Geoff Neupert. Tim has tons of videos on the Original Strength YouTube channel with many variations of the basic moves (rocking being one).

I've done a workshop with Tim and Geoff and use variations of the OS "resets" on a daily basis.

They have a whole theory behind it, based on developmental sequences and developing "reflexive" strength. I'm a bit skeptical of the theory and largely ignore it. I have no basis for thinking it's wrong; I just think it's speculation that isn't necessary to implement and benefit from the system.

But I do the moves because I move and feel better when I do, they're fun (and can be challenging), and I enjoy how Tim presents the material with a spirit of playfulness and exploration.

I just found something called Bill Starr Rehab routine, and want to give it a try. It starts off with 3x25 squats with an empty bar. I don't have a problem squatting with an empty bar after a good warm up, so I will give it a try, and see if larger volume makes the difference.

Based on your description, if it were me, I'd pursue a clearer diagnosis to hopefully rule out anything serious and/or that you could exacerbate.

gonna do 3x25 to see if "larger volume" makes a difference? Please tell me that I misread that! I'm a huge fan of squatting, but only after really learning good (perfect!) form and building very slowly under a coach's supervision. People going off half-cocked on it and injuring themselves is what gives squatting a bad name in a lot of circles. The advice above to "stop squatting" is smart...

I would also support the suggestions of getting to the root of your pain problem prior to returning to squats. If you are successful in that regard, consider starting back with a less taxing program than 5 x 5 - if you are even close to 5RM weight levels, that is no joke, especially early in the training process.

gonna do 3x25 to see if "larger volume" makes a difference? Please tell me that I misread that!

I meant larger volume with much lighter weight that doesn't seem to aggravate the discomfort.

I did 3x25 bodyweight squats last night, and felt little to no discomfort in the groin area. Haven't tried any squats yet, but adductors haven't been bothering me at all so far today.

Getting to the doctor, and then actually getting MRI done might take weeks to months here. So before going through that, I'll try and scale my workout down greatly, and see if things improve.

Just wanted to clarify why I am hesitating to go to the doctor. It might be couple weeks before I can get to the one I trust (my family doctor), and going walk-in, is hit and miss. Mostly miss in my experience :(

Bodyweight exercises and some stretching definitely helped relief the inner thighs, however pain in the groin is still there, especially when I move in an awkward ways (e.g. bend over leaning to the left), or push something, like when shoveling snow...

I called my family doctor, and as suspected he is not available all this week. Shall I just go into an emergency room?

There is no bulging of any sort anywhere, so I suspect it is not hernia, but the fact that the pain is not going away for weeks now, is very annoying.

Hello,

@Michael D
Here is a video of Original Strength Rocking:

I am not a doctor, but prevention is better than cure. Maybe it would be safer to stop squatting for a while, and waiting to see what the Dr you trust will tell.

Of course, I hope there is nothing serious.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet' thank you! I did take @natewhite39 's advice and stopped squatting completely (even as a daily activity, like picking up my kid). I also stopped stretching. The pain substantially decreased. There is still some residual pain right after I flex my adductors felt high up in the inner thigh, but it is nothing compared to what it used to be last week.

The discomfort in the front hip is very localized now. There is a tender spot on the side of the hip (psoas muscle?). There is a slight ache in that area that is still felt if I bend over or push something with my feet...

Not sure I need to go see the doctor anymore... if things improve as quickly as they did in the past couple days, I will be perfectly fine by the time my appointment comes :)

@Michael D, I have never suffered this injury, but I recall a few colleagues along the way with pulled groin muscles and I've always heard they take quite a long time to heal. I'd be very careful - if you're on the mend, don't do anything to make it worse, and please do see your doctor.

-S-

@Steve Freides, I am completely avoiding any kind of activity that aggravates the discomfort (there is nothing resembling pain anymore). I was tempted to try to BW squat just to see if the problem is still there, but then had second thoughts about it, and changed my mind. I will give it at least another week, and then will start doing some stretching/strengthening exercises before attempting to squat again...

With the way things are improving, not sure it still makes sense to see the doctor. I have another appointment with my physio next week. Last time I went, I did bring up this nagging problem, and I got some specific treatment for it. Not sure if it was the treatment that made the difference or not squatting, but either way things are improving. I am guessing, physio should be more qualified to figure out the problem than general family doctor?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom