all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Advice about FMS

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Thierry

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi everyone,

My name is Thierry and this is my first thread is this forum (a pretty long one because I tried to follow the rules and give as much back story as possible).

I'd like some advice about FMS because I see it mention a lot around here and living in the south of france the closest FMS professional is far away and I want to make sure it's the right thing to do in my position.

Here is my story/background :

I'm 26 years old, male, 6 feet, 165 pounds at 12% body fat (on a commercial scale) but I don't have a lot of fat (abs visible)

I hurt my back doing crossfit (after 1 and half year of practice) in Jan of 2015 doing a deadlift (245lbs). It wasn't too bad as I could still walk, run and pretty much do anything I wanted except lift things from the floor without a small pain in my back (i'd say 3/10 but i'm a sissy). So I went to a sport doctor, did some scan and nothing was found except that I have a "flat back" so the doctor told me to go see a physiotherapist which I did. He told me to stretch because I was really tight (hamstring, quads, psoas) at the time and could hardly touch my chin when bending at the hips. Fast forward this summer after a lot of stretching with no real progression and no training except for some plank (not the hardstyle one) and some pushup. I decided to train again and to do it with kettlebell. So I purchased "Kettlebell simple and sinister" and started training with 16kg regularly for a month and jumped to 24kg. Currently after 2 months I can 2H swing 24kg pretty easily for 10 set of 10 reps (my mobility also increased, I can touch the floor from the tip of my finger, I can sit in a deep squat). But the other day I tried to deadlift 40kg(90lbs) with someone to check my form and doing everything I learned from my KB practice but the pain came back almost instantly(only 2/10)

So here is my problem: Will I ever be able to pick something heavy from the floor again ? It's a really strange pain, doing sport since my childhood I already had some injuries but none of them felt like this.

Anyone as advice about this ? Do you think a fms professional will be able to find something and provide corrective exercise ?

Power to all of you :)

Welcome to StrongFirst!

1. Please ask your doctor if it's OK for you to deadlift.

2. Please post a video of you deadlifting _nothing_ - just show us the movement pattern, or perhaps pick up an stick or broom handle or similar.

-S-

1. I got my doctor clearance to train every move as long as I take it easy on the load.

2. Here is my attempt with a broom handle.

It looks OK. Can you show us a kettlebell deadlift of something still light but heavier than the broomstick?

-S-

I don't see anything glaringly wrong - you round your back a little as you lower but then you straighten it out before you pick up the bell.

I think you need to work with someone in person. It will be worth the trip to find an SFG or SFL to help you. I know we have people in France but not sure about anyone near you. Some of us do work over Skype and/or Facetime - that's not as good but it is better than nothing and therefore an option you should consider.

-S-

I think you're right and it's time for me to take this seriously and invest the time to work with someone in person. I'm contacting the people you have in france and we'll keep you update of the progress.

Thanks for your time and advice Steve

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom