all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Advice for a 52-year-old couch potato?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Gnarls

First Post
Quick history: was 273 in 2013. Was 173 in 2015. Am 227 today.

I lost weight using my own interpretation of The South Beach Diet.

I went from 170 to 200 for no damn good reason that I know of. My metabolism must have collapsed.

ANYWAY... I have some nice kettlebells. I just started walking again but I know I am out of shape. I have no stamina and I am inherently lazy.

I was walking 3-4 times a week, 1.5-3 miles while losing weight. Not a lost for most but a hella-lot for me.

I'm starting SBD again tomorrow. Phase 1.

Any advice beyond that? Pavel's stuff all seems to be for peep already in shape or professionals. Are there any resources for us couch potatoes?

Welcome to StrongFirst, @Gnarls.

Pavel's stuff all seems to be for peep already in shape or professionals.
No, it's for anyone who's basically healthy. If your doctor clears you to exercise, we also recommend a movement screen (see Functional Movement Systems) but so long as everything works, nothing hurts, and the doc says you're OK, you can begin . . .

Are there any resources for us couch potatoes?
. . . Kettlebell Simple & Sinister. You'll find it for sale on our main web site here and on amazon.com.

-S-

I went from 170 to 200 for no damn good reason that I know of. My metabolism must have collapsed.

No; there was certainly a cause for your weight regain. And getting your language right will help you get back on track and maintain in the future: there is no such thing as a "collapsed metabolism".

You are still at a net loss, so let's begin with this positive notion.
-you know what works for food, so get back to it
-reduce as much controllable stress in your life as you can: fix your sleep, get aerobic training 3+x/wk, maintain your relationships, etc.
-S&S as practice is a great start point for you; start well within your ability and don't push progress, "nudge" it
-start a journal, if you don't have one already

Isn't the Program Minimum for people interested in kettlebells who are fresh off the couch?

Quick history: was 273 in 2013. Was 173 in 2015. Am 227 today.
I lost weight using my own interpretation of The South Beach Diet.
I was walking 3-4 times a week, 1.5-3 miles while losing weight. Not a lost for most but a hella-lot for me.

You have positives but you need some additions and adjustments. You seem to be ultra focused on dieting and walking. Positives include your age (52 is not that old), plus your capable of quickly losing large amounts of weight.

A big positive is that you found StrongFirst and this forum.
You already got great advice from Steve and Al.

Dieting with the South Bay Diet seems to work for you. But does it really in that your weight bounces around so much (like most dieters). Seems to be IMO a common misconception that you can walk your way to losing weight. Books have been titled that plus all the hype about 10,000 steps per day. Many will argue but I strongly disagree.

A balanced lifestyle change (forget the sales and marketing term "diet") is what you need. Mental (start with getting rid of that couch potato mentality), nutrition, strength, movement, mobility, and aerobic (walking is fine with the other elements blended in).

You already have kettlebells so why not start with S&S.

From a nutrition standpoint I might suggest something less faddish and in my experience healthier and easier to consistently lose and later maintain your weight like Warrior, Slow-Carb, Ketogenic, Mediterranean, etc.

GOOD LUCK !!!!!

Doing the movement prep and 5ea x get ups on one day, then movement prep and swing progression on the second day made sense to me. It won't interfere too much with walking or some other activity you enjoy, and is an introduction to kettlebell training to test if you enjoy or benefit from it.

If someone fresh off the couch with little, used to, or no weight training experience, that is as flexible as a piece of glass, jumps into S&S they may get discouraged or injured, and be reluctant to change their life.

It's safer to make small lifestyle adjustments for the vast majority of people.

Last edited:
Doing the movement prep and 5ea x get ups on one day, then movement prep and two hand swings on the second day made sense to me. It won't interfere too much with walking or some other activity you enjoy, and is an introduction to kettlebell training to test if you enjoy or benefit from it.

If someone fresh off the couch with little, used to, or no weight training experience, that is as flexible as a piece of glass, jumps into S&S they may get discouraged or injured, and be reluctant to change their life.

It's safer to make small lifestyle adjustments for the vast majority of people.

Agreed Geoff as you suggest might be the best practical way for some to get started. I would tend towards jumping right into S&S with light weights (or no weights with TGU) to avoid injury. This way I could focus not on the weight and possible injury but on the orchestration of the movements. Then a slow progression of bumping up the weight.

@Gnarls ... also if you are medically cleared AND have the resources you could consider scheduling some time with an SFG instructor or take an SFG course so that you can safely learn the basics of KB movement. That way S&S will be even more approachable than it already is. Welcome to SF. There are some amazing resources here, some of whom have already offered up sound advice.

Thanks for everyone's replies. I have Enter the Kettlebell, is S&S recommended over this?

I started walking yesterday... whooboy I am out of shape!

I would do S&S first, starting light and slowly working up. May be kb deadliftsdone the S&S style of 10 reps of 10 sets and naked TGU's.

S&S is highly scalable, and has very few moving parts. (After walking and maybe some SJ/FS or OS resets) My opinion also would be to start there.

I'd say @aciampa hit it on the head with all those points, especially about watching your language.

I think you probably know what's changed. Remember you are looking for a new normal. A new "this is how I live" that results on the body you want.

Don't underestimate how much difference the walking makes. It's much more than the calories. It's pumping your lymphatic system to flush waste, it's reducing stress and inflammation. For me personally going from walking 1-1.5 hours a day last year to not walking except to get somewhere this year due to an injury pushed my %bodyfat from 10 up to 15.

Walking is good on many levels. I run and ride a fair bit as a component of my 'aerobic' training and I still try to get some walking in on a regular basis. As Travis said... do not underestimate it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom