all posts post new thread

Kettlebell advice for my dad about lower back problems

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ineverexisted

Level 2 Valued Member
My dad occasionally has lower back problems, he also has hip degeneration. Every now and then he has to go to a chiropractor because his hips got out of align. So my question is if the normal simple and sinister routine would help him with his back problems and if its safe for his hips, if you guys have other suggestion on how to help my dad, I would appreciate that too. Thanks

My persistent lower back pain had subsided, I believe, because of a stronger musculature around my spine and hips.

I'm sure the 9090 stretch helps but I've been seeing a chiropractor regularly up until getting used to the 16k bell, since I was carrying around my now 3 babies and toddlers about 5 years ago. And I've been using stretching to abate the pain all along. But it was never resolved.

And I haven't missed the chiropractic treatments, as I was worried I would. I have blamed the compulsory carrying of small bowling ball weighted babies for hours at a time, with the development of persistent back pain, and some serious pain developed. I still have one last little one, and I'm not suffering the same effects I saw with the first two.

I guess if I had it to do over again, I might have split up the swings and getups at first, knowing what I know now. Maybe alternating days. And I would have taken longer rest periods at first so that I could be more confident and stable throughout the sets. There was some some instability while I was learning.

I guess overall, my advice to myself would be to play it closer to the vest. Don't force it. The body will adapt as fast as it does. I remember a couple of days it was really tough to climb the stairs. I don't think it was necessary at the time, any more.

I'm the husband of a chiropractor. She has been very impress with the muscle structure I've build in my lower back from swings. I would encourage him to talk to his chiro about using swings to build lower back strength. The only other thing my wife recommends now is squats and deadlifts. I'm not surprised I've heard it multiple times commented that deadlifts and swings are related.

You may also want to consider smaller jumps than the traditional 16/24/32. I'd recommend you get him a Kettlebell Kings adjustable comp bell that goes from 12 to 32. Start him off at 12 to get the form dead on and start adding on weight.

My advise is take it slow in the beginning and see how it goes. Get the form right and I think it will improve his hip problem. Note, I'm a computer programmer and mathematician, I'm not a doctor, hahaha.

I guess if I had it to do over again, I might have split up the swings and getups at first
Adachi posted while I was typing, I agree completely with his point. Watch for his recovery time. I'm 58 and could swing and TGU every day up till over 32kg. From there I found I needed to add in rest days. Your father will be different, but the same concept. See if he can swing the smallest bell every day. If not then add in rest days.

I would start very slow with grinds prior to learning ballistics. Master the fundamental movements first (squats, deadlift, press, pull...) with the kbell first. Develop a base of strength first, then incorporate swings. It wont take but a couple months to do this. I think this is especially important if your dad is not used to training.

Just my 2 cents. I'm not a trainer, fyi. I have a lot of experience managing my own lower back issues (in the past).

There is some quote, "Dont try to fire a cannon from a canoe" <I probably butchered it> Check out the McGill Big 3 excersises from the book Back Mechanic.

Regards,

Eric

I have a major back trauma. I have a structural scoliosis and multiple bulged discs. Two of the vertebras are growing together and one disc exploded in 2008 and caused the nerve damage. Left leg’s quad muscles got paralysed for almost ten years. Now I kind of can flex them.

I do S&S, but is it best for lower back problems, is a personal thing. Always get the physicians approvement.

If your dad want’s to try S&S, then start slowly. Face-the-wall squat, goblet squat and hip bridge helped my hip a ton. My hip tends to get out of align too, but it’s a lot better now.

Add to all the other good advice, start with foundational movements.

Good Mornings and Swings have reduced my back problems to a background murmer, but be careful starting out. I'd highly recommend bodyweight movements to start.

Are we talking about 2hand swings or 1hand swings?

2hand swings did a good job at strengthening my lower back. Although my issues vanished through deadlifting 5x5 with a barbell. Later backbridges per CC. Although this might scare some

My dad had great success with Park and Goodman’s Foundation work..
I gave Park/ Goodman's 12 minute Foundation routine a heat check for 31 consecutive days. I used it as a warm up. It cleared up my back issues and helped my KB training. A lot of hinge type positions and movements in that 12 minutes which resulted in a nice WTH leg strength effect.

@browna0909 The 12 minutes is a bit of a smoker. Your Dad could take more rest btwn movements and modify within reason some positions.

Last edited:
The answer depends on his movement quality.

The swing is definitely awesome but it may not be the movement he needs. He may need to stay more with the KB deadlift for a month.

It would be best if you can get him to be coached even online by an SFG

My dad occasionally has lower back problems, he also has hip degeneration. Every now and then he has to go to a chiropractor because his hips got out of align. So my question is if the normal simple and sinister routine would help him with his back problems and if its safe for his hips, if you guys have other suggestion on how to help my dad, I would appreciate that too. Thanks
Hi! My dad has had back issues for a while now and sometimes suffers with sciatica symptoms.

I discovered ‘Foundation Training’ by a doctor named Dr Eric Goodman online. Go to YouTube and type in foundation training and there is a 12 minute long video that I did every morning which really helped, then I got my dad doing it and he’s not had any flare ups since. I have now personally subscribed to their streaming service which is only like £13 a month. I’m loving doing their baseline program in the morning followed by S&S/MMA in the evening!

I gave Park/ Goodman's 12 minute Foundation routine a heat check for 31 consecutive days. I used it as a warm up. It cleared up my back issues and helped my KB training. A lot of hinge type positions and movements in that 12 minutes which resulted in a nice WTH leg strength effect.

@browna0909 The 12 minutes is a bit of a smoker. Your Dad could take more rest btwn movements and modify within reason some positions.
I really should have read the comments before replying.. haha! But I second this. Their streaming service is even better!

To the OP
Has your Dad been cleared by his Dr./healthcare Provider?
Has he had rehab for his back/hips?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom