all posts post new thread

Barbell Advice for my program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Toomuch4

Level 1 Valued Member
Height 6 Ft
Weight: 178#
Body Comp: Somewhere around 15%
I'm about to begin kickboxing and grappling classes. However, I plan to go light and practice technique. I run for cardio.
My goal is to build strength and stimulate extra hypertrophy. Both at the same time. I would like it to translate to grappling and kickboxing classes. I would like to look muscular though. This workout is kind of different, so go easy on me.

Lower-Body A (Morning)
5 x 5 Lowbar Squats, Rests are 3 minutes
Work up to a 5 rep deadlift without maxing
Rests are 1 to 2 minutes for the rest of the workout
Goodmornings: 2 to 3 x 8 to 12
Hip Thrusts: 2 x 8 to 12
Single-arm farmers carry finisher
{Then Grip training after work}

Upper-Body A (Morning)
SuperSet 5 x 5, rests are 2 minutes
A. Weighted Push-Ups
B. Weighted Chin-Ups
Rests are 45 seconds for following supersets
A. Standing Press: 3 x 8 to 12
B. Dumbbell Rows: 3 x 8 to 12
A. Close-grip weighted push-ups: 3 x 8 to 12
B. Thickbar Barbell Curls: 3 x 8 to 12
1 to 2 min rests from now on
Cable Flys: 2 or 3 sets
Abs: 2 to 3 x 8 to 12
{Cardio later after work}

Lower-Body B (Morning)
5 x 5 Lowbar Squats, Rests are 3 minutes
Work up to a 3 rep deadlift without maxing
Kettlebell Swings: 5 x 10 to 20 (Focus on powerful hip extension)
Rdls: 2 to 3 x 8 to 12
Single-arm farmers carry finisher
{Grip training after work}

Upper-Body B
SuperSet 5 x 5, Rests are 2 minutes
A. Standing-Press
B. Weighted Pull-Up
Rests are 45 seconds for following supersets
A. Weighted Push-Up: 3 x 8 to 12
B. Dumbbell Rows: 3 x 8 to 12
A. Close-grip weighted push-up: 3 x 8 to 12
B. Thickbar Barbell Curl: 3 x 8 to 12
Rests are 1 to 2 minutes from this point on
Cable Fly's: 2 or 3 sets
Abs: 2 to 3 x 8 to 12
{Cardio later after work}

Lower Body A
Lower Body B
Off
Lower Body A
Lower Body B
Off
Off (The second off is optional. Lower Body A could start again too)

Lower Body A
Lower Body B
Off
Lower Body A
Lower Body B
Off
Off (The second off is optional. Lower Body A could start again too)

Could you restate the schedule? When would you do Upper Body A/B? It only says Lower.

And you've got 3 of the workouts indicated as Morning. You would be doing something else those days too?

Could you restate the schedule? When would you do Upper Body A/B? It only says Lower.

And you've got 3 of the workouts indicated as Morning. You would be doing something else those days too?

Oh!

Lower A
Upper A
Off
Lower B
Upper B
Off
Off

My goal is to build strength and stimulate extra hypertrophy. Both at the same time.
I don't know if I've ever trained strength with dedication and not stimulated hypertrophy.

This program above has a lot of accessory volume. Do you need that much volume to make progress or just trying to get there sooner? I'm not sure about the science of it but the way I understand it, desensitizing to volume too fast can make stalls and plateaus occur sooner and last longer.

I don't know if I've ever trained strength with dedication and not stimulated hypertrophy.

This program above has a lot of accessory volume. Do you need that much volume to make progress or just trying to get there sooner? I'm not sure about the science of it but the way I understand it, desensitizing to volume too fast can make stalls and plateaus occur sooner and last longer.

Yes, I've checked with a couple of places, and everyone thinks it's too much. I honestly know in my heart that a basic linear program would be much quicker and more efficient. I'm afraid to do it because I'm afraid of losing the muscle I've built doing higher volumes, and of not developing any real hypertrophy for a while.

Yes, I've checked with a couple of places, and everyone thinks it's too much. I honestly know in my heart that a basic linear program would be much quicker and more efficient. I'm afraid to do it because I'm afraid of losing the muscle I've built doing higher volumes, and of not developing any real hypertrophy for a while.

Compound and heavily loaded movements like squat, deadlift, and press will use more muscle than you might guess, all at one time.

8 weeks of just the big movements will tell you a lot, and if you start to see any hard-won muscle disappearing, I'll bet you can easily get it back with some slight changes to your routine.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom