all posts post new thread

Kettlebell advice for S&S progression to 48kg

cwheeler33

Level 6 Valued Member
I will be re-dedicated the next 12-18 months to S&S consecutively.

Previous experience was to achieve a timeless 40kg (18 minutes for swings rest 3 min 10 minutes for TGU). The goal is a 48kg timeless with roughly the same or better times. Current KB's I have are 16,20,24,28,32,40 kg...

When I did the first run of S&S, I only used the "traditional" 16, 24, 32, 40kg jumps. None of the in-betweens. I never once missed my reps. The first week of any jump was very difficult, but achievable. By the fourth week I felt ready to step up the progression. I noticed going for the 40 was harder than going for the 32 and required me to reduce the number of training days. I went from 6 down to 5 day per week. The other two days I did joint mobility work instead. When I did swings at 32kg 1h,A,1h,2h,1h,2h,off at 40kg 1h,2h,off,2h,1h,A,off (A=alternating grip). TGU were always "easy" during the progressions, or can be reworded as hard but confident and always able to hit under 10 min if I wanted to. It was always the swings that felt hard. For the swings I tried to maintain 80% explosive potential for all sets (unlike when I Q&D where I do 100% for all sets). A timed swing result was not possible for me, even with the 32 after reaching 40. I'm not worried about the time yet, that would be the goal AFTER I hit 48. First be strong, then be fast and enduring....

Other considerations: I do martial arts 6 days per week (90 min classes) in the evening. Just shy of 48th. Currently 220-225 at 25%bf standing at an even 6ft. I do plan on incorporating variety days such as Iron Cardio. I have this feeling I will need to drop down to 4 maybe even 3 days per week once I'm working up to the 48. And I foresee IC as a nice way to bolster/recover on the off days.

So the question to those who have achieved 48KG, do I stay with the traditional jumps? Or is it suggested I get the 44KG? What was your experience? Does the smoother road lead to 'better" results? I do not take this lightly, there is an assumption going for the 48 is not like the 32 or the 40... where more respect is required...

well guess what I didn't do this morning... I didn't read my personal emails... ROFL
That said, I HATE programs that include dice. When I say hate, I use it with full intent and meaning! Even Q&D which I love, I plan out all session sets before I even start the program while following all the other rules.

I had already started my planning to be very similar to his "Too Complicated" section, backing off once I hit major steps and work my way back up. The difference is his reliance on the catch weights... If he's using catch weights, are they as per the book 2 week steps?

Maybe this

Andy Bolton is a beast!!! 92kg swings for 10x10 EMOM!!!

I thought that was about assistance work for deadlifting heavy weights. Did you use that to hit your 48kg S&S? How was that program different than the standard S&S to help you reach it?

well guess what I didn't do this morning... I didn't read my personal emails... ROFL
That said, I HATE programs that include dice. When I say hate, I use it with full intent and meaning! Even Q&D which I love, I plan out all session sets before I even start the program while following all the other rules.

I had already started my planning to be very similar to his "Too Complicated" section, backing off once I hit major steps and work my way back up. The difference is his reliance on the catch weights... If he's using catch weights, are they as per the book 2 week steps?
I am running a dice based Fabio SF newsletter inspired program for Hypertrophy.

I believe there is a merit in rolling a dice. I don’t like surprises either, so I roll the dices every week before I start the week so I know what I will do all week.

Agree on the “dice”.
Why not inspire yourself in this program and decide what you are doing by feel? You know very well S&S and train consistently…
If you know yourself and the program, going by feel (inspired in something as solid as Pavel Macek’s waving Sinister) could be a great approach.
Also note that the dice give you a clue on how many easy, medium and hard sessions you should do …

Agree on the “dice”.
Why not inspire yourself in this program and decide what you are doing by feel? You know very well S&S and train consistently…
If you know yourself and the program, going by feel (inspired in something as solid as Pavel Macek’s waving Sinister) could be a great approach.
Also note that the dice give you a clue on how many easy, medium and hard sessions you should do …
That is a good point. It could work with intuition/autoregulation.

Being honest with yourself: Which of the variations would excite you the most to do on any given day? (This is how Brett Jones choses his IC variations.)

In a good week you might challenge yourself. Being tired and sluggish? Feel free to opt for a few easier ones. Want to work with a heavier weight, but have less time available? Choose low volume, heavy weight.

When heavy feels like medium (or medium-heavy) it is time to move up.

Andy Bolton is a beast!!! 92kg swings for 10x10 EMOM!!!

I thought that was about assistance work for deadlifting heavy weights. Did you use that to hit your 48kg S&S? How was that program different than the standard S&S to help you reach it?
Im use it yes and it works great, but not with 48kg. I havent tried S&S.

If you don't prefer the dice role, then this option exists (from the same article folks referred to earlier).

Too Complicated?​

It should not be. But if you don’t have access to that many kettlebells, here is a super simple wave program. Not the stormy sea above, but still a wave.

Let’s say you have been following the standard S&S and you progressed from 32kg to 40kg. Instead of starting to climb the hill to 48kg, let the wave fall and rise again. Restart the cycle with 36kg and gradually incorporate 44kg following the standard S&S outlined in Simple & Sinister and our Kettlebell Simple & Sinister Online Course.

After you successfully tackle the 44kg, restart the cycle with 40kg and 48kg. Up and down. Up and down.

When first saw using the dice (in Enter the Kettlebell), I thought - what the hell? - and I didn't like it.
How wrong I was - today, I love it.
The "Imperial Program Minimum" (IPM) that I am working on (snatch + bent press) uses it as well.

When first saw using the dice (in Enter the Kettlebell), I thought - what the hell? - and I didn't like it.
How wrong I was - today, I love it.
The "Imperial Program Minimum" (IPM) that I am working on (snatch + bent press) uses it as well.
regardless of dice, would it better to use the catch weights (+4kg) for the jumps at every 2 weeks or to use the full jumps (+8kg) every 4 weeks? getting up to the 40kg I used the full 8kg jumps "confidently". But going forward is one better than the other?

I'm inspired by that article and the various discussions on waving, but highly motivated against dice. I've also become extremely interested in Iron Cardio. So this is what I propose for myself over the next 18-24 months... (I want to eat my cake and have it too)

My original question was never directly answered, but it seems that everyone kinda suggests or in practice has always used the half weights. And soooo.....

Start over with 28kg and work my way up to 48kg Timeless S&S.

weekly schedule:
montuewedthurfrisatsun
1h Li-Mv1h Hi-HvIC2h Mi-Mv1h Hi-LvICoff

volume/intensity
LightMediumHeavy
vol8sets10sets12sets
int24kg28/32kg28/32kg
int28kg32/36kg32/36kg
int32kg36/40kg36/40kg
int36kg40/44kg40/44kg
int40kg44/48kg44/48kg

When working on a week where it is 10x target weight for all sets, my light day is still 8kg less. So say I've reached 10x10x32kg goal, my light intensity day will use the 24kg.

I will then also add the waving up/down the milestone as written in the article. Once I hit 40kg again, start back at 36kg and work up to 44. Then down to 40 and work up to 48...

I see the Iron Cardio days as a form of active recovery that allows me to work on other skills. The sessions will be between 15-25 minutes, with a prejudice for 20 minutes, and will be heavily guided by intuition.

That will give me most of the waving effect benefits during the week without the torture of dice. I know myself, I've tried and quickly quit programs that use dice. It's not a small dislike - it's a real HATRED! Others may be persuaded, I cannot. I thrive on boring habit, which is probably why I love S&S as a foundation program so much.

Back
Top Bottom