all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Advice for training with a new born baby

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jamesjones

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi everyone

I have recently become a father and would like anyone who has ha d a new born to give me some advice on structuring a kB workout to keep in shape as I know alot of people just stop all together die to the lack of sleep and general caring for Thier child I believe fitness is vital to life so any tips ?

Hi everyone

I have recently become a father and would like anyone who has ha d a new born to give me some advice on structuring a kB workout to keep in shape as I know alot of people just stop all together die to the lack of sleep and general caring for Thier child I believe fitness is vital to life so any tips ?
Same situation. Had a baby girl in April (well my wife did. Lol). S and S all the way.

@Jamesjones S&S is a great choice, +1 to all above. When my first daughter was born 3 years ago I had great results with it.

My second daughter was born 6 months ago and I did Q&D the first 3 months with great results. You cant beat the time efficiency, its only 12 minutes, 3 times a week. I even managed to complete successfully a snatch test after the 3 months. However, you need a minimum experience with kettlebells for this program to work.

Something that worked for me was to do what I could, whenever I could. I did the sets in GTG fashion many times. I did the warm up when I woke up instead of immediately before training, and so on. If you manage to do 300 - 400 swings per week, and 30 get ups, youll be doing great.

@Jamesjones, better to train with a kettlebell than a newborn.

:)

Congratulations to you and your partner. My wife observed the other day that there are some perspectives on life one only get after one has children, and it's true. Your children are both your deepest loves and the place where your worst fears reside.

-S-

Welcome to parenthood..

All minimalist approaches recommended here are great. Strength shortcuts by @Geoff Neupert is a great resource too.

Basically use training as a movement break for now to let you recharge.. As much as you want to, I would say restrain yourself from stepping on the pedal, a lesson I would tell myself during the first 3 months of my son being born.

I should add... I’d say 9/10 days after doing S and S I feel a lot better than before I trained. This is a welcome side effect as I have to wash my face off and basically go straight back to daddy duty. The anti-Glycolytic aspect of it is a game changer for me. I can’t imagine doing some of those CrossFit WODS and having to take care of a baby. I could barely walk most days after those workouts.
I think in your situation that will help you out a lot. I’m not the best at math (and you’ll really see in a second) but if you take like 2-3 minute rests(use the talk test) between sets you can be done in about 40 minutes give or take.
Also, I’m sure you don’t need advice on how to be a husband from me , but let your wife know how much you appreciate her letting you take some time away to get it in. I sincerely let my wife know how important this is to me every time before I start because from the outside it can seem selfish even though you’re just doing this to be the best that you can be for your fam.
I really would love to train in the AM but I’m usually stiff after waking up and really want to avoid injury.

Definitely something short to complete, such S&S, Bent&Sinister, Calisthenics. If you newborn sleeps well between some hours regularly, consider it as the time for practice strength.
I got two kids, six and four, and about 98% of my S&S and other trainings are done when they are still asleep, between 4 and 6 in the morning.

Take the training opportunities as they come, during naps or one on one time with other parent, but sometimes that time and energy will be better spent taking care of yourself in other productive ways, sleeping or preparing quality food.

Adjust your expectations to maintenance and any progress will be a bonus.

Last edited:
I think one is better off using a kettlebell for most training, rather than a newborn, for a number of reasons. (Sorry)

@Jamesjones

I was able to keep my regular training going (5 days on / 2 off) for about 90 days after my twins were born, then I hit the wall pretty hard due to the sleep deprivation. In hindsight, I would have cut the volume by 50% and instead focused on better nutrition. Sleep deprivation will really mess with your cravings, things can get out of hand quickly and you will feel even worse!

Are you familiar with the Original Strength resets? They are great to do everyday anyway here is a link:

Sample KB practice (easy):

S & S warmup -

* OS Resets
* Halo
* Prying Goblet Squat
* Hip Raises

* Bodyweight getups 1 + 1 (2 sets)

* KB Deadlift (2 sets of 10)
* KB Getup 1 + 1 (2 sets)

* Cooldown - OS Resets, Walking

Sample KB practice (medium):

S & S warmup -

* OS Resets
* Halo
* Prying Goblet Squat
* Hip Raises

* Bodyweight getups 1 + 1 (3 sets)
* KB Deadlift (3 sets of 10)

* 2H KB Swings (4 sets of 10)
* KB Getup 1 + 1 (4 sets)

* Cooldown - OS resets, Walking

@Jamesjones

I was able to keep my regular training going (5 days on / 2 off) for about 90 days after my twins were born, then I hit the wall pretty hard due to the sleep deprivation. In hindsight, I would have cut the volume by 50% and instead focused on better nutrition. Sleep deprivation will really mess with your cravings, things can get out of hand quickly and you will feel even worse!

Are you familiar with the Original Strength resets? They are great to do everyday anyway here is a link:

Sample KB practice (easy):

S & S warmup -

* OS Resets
* Halo
* Prying Goblet Squat
* Hip Raises

* Bodyweight getups 1 + 1 (2 sets)

* KB Deadlift (2 sets of 10)
* KB Getup 1 + 1 (2 sets)

* Cooldown - OS Resets, Walking

Sample KB practice (medium):

S & S warmup -

* OS Resets
* Halo
* Prying Goblet Squat
* Hip Raises

* Bodyweight getups 1 + 1 (3 sets)
* KB Deadlift (3 sets of 10)

* 2H KB Swings (4 sets of 10)
* KB Getup 1 + 1 (4 sets)

* Cooldown - OS resets, Walking

I’m getting 5-6 hours a night of sleep. I’m still functioning but any advice on getting the most of day-to-day life with a real sleep deficit? Diet is dialed in already. Haven’t hit a wall yet but...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom