all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Advice for training with a new born baby

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hey guys,

First of all, congrats! :)

I'm interested and also thinking how my training will look in 2 months when I will become a father :)

I've been doing S&S since March and I own the 24kg for both swing and TGU. Definitely will continue and add a 32kg soon.

Beside this I do some barbell work at the gym atm which I won't do must probably in the near future.

Is S&S enough? I was thinking purchasing a Rogue Jammer for some pull/ups. I will have the bells for additional squats, presses, rows, only thing that I will miss with them is the pull ups.

It is pricey, I'm thinking is its necessary and worth the investment.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Hey guys,

I'm interested and also thinking how my training will look in 2 months when I will become a father :)

I've been doing S&S since March and I own the 24kg for both swing and TGU. Definitely will continue and add a 32kg soon.

Beside this I do some barbell work at the gym atm which I won't do must probably in the near future.

Is S&S enough? I was thinking purchasing a Rogue Jammer for some pull/ups. I will have the bells for additional squats, presses, rows, only thing that I will miss with them is the pull ups.

What do you think?

Thanks!

You'll get a feel of what you can do safely and can recover from during the first two months of your child being born :)

Hey guys,

What do you think?

Thanks!
I love having a pull-up bar. I got one you drill into the studs of your wall for like 50-60 bucks on amazon. Worth every penny. Doing s and s also. And have a 4 month old. Congrats in advance my friend!

Hey guys,

What do you think?

Thanks!
Another piece of advice, I guess. Try to get a time you can train consistently and get your wife to agree with you on it. Make whatever concessions necessary to be 100% responsibility free at that point in time. I begrudgingly get up at 4am to do my training. But this way I’m free in the evening with the family and can train guilt free for however long. I tried doing it after work at like 4pm but I could just FEEL the tension if the baby was crying or something and I’m like leisurely shaking my arms between sets of swings whistling and staring at the walls. No bueno. Lol.

+1 to getting buy-in from your partner.

My kids are 1 and 2 now and we still have a system where I obtain clearance for my training sessions and I'm not expected to come running to any screams!

I've found S&S an amazing program for when you have small kids also. Not too sore or tired to carry the pair of them, doesn't take too long. Plus it works, which is a definite advantage!

So much great advice here.

My little girl is 14 months old and I still remember how difficult it was to get training in.

The article Dan John wrote is pretty much spot on.
Do what you can when you can

Bumping as I’m in this position now (2 week old baby).

What I’m doing is Goblet Squat and Swings all at once in a 10 min time frame while baby is sleeping. And Haloes followed by GTG Push Ups and Pull Ups when I can. Yesterday I was feeling a little sore from lack of sleep so I instead did a Trap Bar weighted carry for 5-10 mins in the garden as a substitute.

That’s all I’m doing at the moment just the 4 exercises (Swing, Push up, Pull up, Trap bar carry) and 2 warm up movements (Goblet Squat, Haloes).

Interested to see where it gets me!

@Jamesjones

I was able to keep my regular training going (5 days on / 2 off) for about 90 days after my twins were born, then I hit the wall pretty hard due to the sleep deprivation. In hindsight, I would have cut the volume by 50% and instead focused on better nutrition. Sleep deprivation will really mess with your cravings, things can get out of hand quickly and you will feel even worse!
I agree with this (my 4th boy is 2 weeks old).

And my sixpence- Cut back the training if you feel its taking too long. S+S would be fine.

You will feel better for doing some training, but never to a point of fatigue. Concentrate on exercises that promote a stronf back and shoulders (KB's are bang-on for this obv) as doing odd bending over moves with a baby is common.

Concentrate on bagging the Z's and eating right. It only takes one bad night with the baby and some post-exerise ache/DOMS for the fatigue to convince you to overeat crap food- this is a vicious circle!

People exercise and eat well for an enhanced feeling of control in life. Babies can take this feeling for being in control of your life away. Staying on top of, or even trying something new, with nutrition doesn't take any time (like exercise can), some concentrate on keeping that dialled in to maintain some control and pride.

Congratulations on the new baby!

When you are taking the baby out with the stroller, you could try doing a variety of carries on your walks. When you've had enough, put the bell on the bottom of the stroller, assuming space is available.

My middle one is very wiry and enjoys being TGU'd - proper flooring, space, safety of course. So you can look forward to that!

But in all seriousness - this thread is great. Just don't quit. Rest is a break from training - often dictated by our kids, wives, lives. But quitting is the choice to not train when training was an option - even the tiniest amount. I've only made that mistake once in 10 years as a father - but it's the biggest setback (besides injury) for the compounding gains. Learning to be really flexible in what training means has helped me build really good habits and framework that have carried me through consistently for many years now. And as a longer term benefit - the small eyes will learn this from you - and begin to train with you sometimes - which is just an immense joy.

As a father of a 3 yr and 1 yr old, I’ve found Q&D (snatch protocol) to be extremely helpful.

Was doing S&S before but an elbow injury caused my TGU to suffer, hence the switch to Q&D.

Since then, Q&D has filled the need as a time-efficient, stand-alone program. I can do while watching a kid, in between chores, work, etc.

I also love the randomness of it; if/when you read the book, you’ll find it interesting that you can roll a die to determine your workout for the day.

great stuff!

Too many random variables, when multiple mobile kids are thrown in the mix, to succeed with a structured training plan. Build strength with GTG and endurance with the kids.

I think it really depends on the baby/ family situation.

I somehow managed to train more than ever when I had one child, from age 0 and 3. When he was born, there were a few weeks there with minimal training, but once things stabilised it was fine.

My second child was just born three days ago! so I'll let you know how it goes soon! Safe to say I haven't trained yet this week.

I was on ROP, but I believe that will be near impossible to continue. I'm considering switching to one of Geoff Neuperts programs, many of which are three 20 to 30 minute sessions per week (e.g. DFW, the giant, etc). Another option is Armour Building.

Spend 10 to 15 to 20 or even 30 minutes doing something strength oriented EMOM, you can get a fair bit of work in, whether it's armour building, DFW, The Giant, moving target complex, even A+A.

So yeah, that's my plan. I'm leaning towards the giant, 3x30 minute sessions, with some GTG daily chin ups to maintain that.

If you lift the baby overhead everyday, in twenty years you will be able to lift a full grown person overhead...

and congrats to all those for whom this post is relevant!

I know your time horizon extends to your next nap ... But as a side note, it's great you are setting a good example of health and fitness for you kid(s). It will (eventually) surprise you just how much he or she (I know... too early to talk about "they") internalizes your example. They'll be so much better off. A lot of good life choices flow from the commitment to maintain some sort of reasonable fitness.

I have a 6 month old and a 3 year old. Only way I'm able to get in done is 3x week at 5:30am for an hour before they wake up. I found training any more frequently than that and I can't recover optimally. Good Luck

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom