all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Advice from Those Older

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Adam R Mundorf

Level 6 Valued Member
Hello StrongFirst,

For those of you who are older than 30, what are some of your biggest realizations or life lessons you would tell your younger self? Words of encouragement or any things you wish you did more of?

I look forward to the responses.

Thank you, Adam

My brother served in the french foreign legion for nearly two decades, doing a lot of interesting stuff with some interesting people. I asked him what his principal learning was from all that experience and he was quiet for a moment then replied, "nice guys live longer". Personally, I think that's a huge take-away on life. Don't upset people unnecessarily. Don't make enemies you don't need to have. Don't make situations worse than they have to be. Be the kind of person people want to be around. Just be a nice guy!

Last edited:
My brother served in the french foreign legion for nearly two decades, doing a lot of interesting stuff with some interesting people. I asked him what his principal learning was from all that experience and he was quiet for a moment then replied, "nice guys live longer". Personally, I think that's a huge take-away on life. Don't upset people unnecessarily. Don't make enemies you don't need to have. Don't make situations worse than they have to be. Be the kind of person people want to be around. Just be a nice guy!
I’d love to drink with you and your brother! What amazing stories.

I read ‘marching with the devil’ when I considered it myself, and thought better of it after that book. Fortuna ended up deciding for me at any rate, and I never did it. But I sometimes wonder...

In my experience, understanding that when you give more of yourself to others that you will get rewarded in return. Many men get stuck in myopic adolescence mode way beyond the teenage years where they are mainly focused on themselves and what they want. In society at large, we don't really have those defining moments in a young man's life anymore that represent the "Rite of Passage" such as getting drafted into the military or taking over the family farm. These massive events forced you to abandon the innocence of adolescence and immediately commit to serving others.

As such, If you cling to your adolescence into your 30's and 40's you will be leaving the opportunity to develop rewarding and healthy relationships with yourself, spouse, friends, and family. This doesn't mean that you will never focus on yourself, but you will need to learn to set boundaries and "gasp!" - communicate.

Recommended reading - Amazon product ASIN B000J0GBZ4

-Harness the wonder of compound interest by saving $ regularly and investing it wisely
-Fortune favors the bold-stretch and risk failure (short of stupidity)
-Do not hesitate to ask for wise counsel from people smarter than you
-It's all about people, the only wealth that will matter in the end is the blessing you've been to others

For those of you who are older than 30, what are some of your biggest realizations or life lessons you would tell your younger self? Words of encouragement or any things you wish you did more of?
Learn meditation (as practiced in the Buddhist tradition - it can be practiced, as I do, without any religious implications).

-S-

Do not be careless with your commitments or responsibilities, or casual about accepting them. More than anything else they come to define what is "you".

Also, be where you are when you're there - tying in w/ Steve's advice re meditation.

Lastly, do not forget you live a life that will end, your stay here is very temporary.

One thing that I ignored when I was younger was that you and everyone you know will die someday. Plan and set priorities accordingly. Make it real and get your final directives setup early.

One thing I was really glad I did was read and implement “I will teach you to be rich” by Ramit Sethi. Cheesy name but shows you how to live below your means and prep for emergencies. Like if you ever have to live through a unplanned pandemic that shuts down your business or something...

Other than that, don’t wait for others to make your community or life better, you want it, you do it.

Listen to people who don’t agree with you. don’t argue with people who have never listened to someone who doesn’t agree with them.

Last edited:
- Don't always believe the inner critic/voice in your head - question it!
- Fitness, health & family FIRST - everything else is a 'nice-to-have' not a 'Need-to-have'
- Try new things
- Spend time with people younger than you
- Spend time with good people, who make you laugh!
- Stop doing things that you think you ought to do, in order to project the 'right image' to people that really only care about 'their image'
- Be kind to others AND yourself
- Find ways to keep growing - mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually
- Meditate (more)
- Find more ways to use your talents in service to others

@Adam R Mundorf - what would you tell your younger self?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom