all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Advice from Those Older

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
what would you tell your younger self?
Well, I'll be 28 in June but this is what I would tell my younger self.
  1. Don't stress over things.
  2. Live in the present. The past is over, the future hasn't happened yet so all we have is right now.
  3. Be kind to yourself and others.
  4. Maintain a healthy relationship with food. There is no magic diet.
  5. I wish I began saving and investing earlier using Boglehead principles.
  6. Stick to a program. It's been a decade and I'm essentially right where I started except I'm more mobile and a bit stronger. I'm a walking example of a program hopper and it's not pretty. My brain craves variety and it's only now that I realize consistency is what gets results.

Funnily enough I've seen some forum members from here, over there. I guess simplicity is appreciated regardless of situation be it investing or strength training.
I've actually never been on the forum. But I have a close friend who is a Boglehead and he tells me I am natural Boglehead! Somehow I've managed to come up with something similar. So I've learned about it through him.

Eric

The easy way out usually leads back in. Do it right, do it once.

Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do. And don't compromise in that effort.

Go for it. Why can't it happen?

There's so much more to your life than just you. Seek and find.

Well, I'll be 28 in June but this is what I would tell my younger self.
  1. Don't stress over things.
  2. Live in the present. The past is over, the future hasn't happened yet so all we have is right now.
  3. Be kind to yourself and others.
  4. Maintain a healthy relationship with food. There is no magic diet.
  5. I wish I began saving and investing earlier using Boglehead principles.
  6. Stick to a program. It's been a decade and I'm essentially right where I started except I'm more mobile and a bit stronger. I'm a walking example of a program hopper and it's not pretty. My brain craves variety and it's only now that I realize consistency is what gets results.

Just finished listening to this, and, oh boy, does it deserve the link to on this thread:

This is a butchered Jordan B. Peterson quote. But something like...
“Carry your cross. It’s gonna suck and be unfair. But you can make yourself better for having done it. “

I wish my younger self realized that you will almost never regret doing the right thing even though it’s hard. And that you could fill a book with all the stuff you will regret if you avoid responsibility and avoid doing what you KNOW you need to do.

Even stuff as simple as doing dishes or admitting when you messed up at work. Etc... I could stress out for 5 minutes about “I’ve done the dishes the last 50 times. I should not be doing this again right now” but then I realize “well, I’m up at 4 am. I LIKE having clean dishes. I have time. It literally takes 5 minutes. Not doing them proves nothing. She’ll be happy. One less thing she has to worry about, etc...”. Never regretted putting in the extra effort once.
To butcher a quote I heard on here once “the pain of not doing it is worse than the pain of doing it”

Don’t do drugs it’s a false sense of peace security happiness & only prolongs to a later date what you’re attempting to hide from.
Appreciate these hard times they are temporary & will make you the man you want to be.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom