all posts post new thread

Old Forum Advice On Getting Started

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

I am looking to start implementing kettlebell strength training very soon. I wanted to attend the KB course coming to Atlanta in August but it does not look like I can do so at this time. I wanted to know if Pavel's Simple and Sinister program would be the best way to start. I would purchase the S&S book as well as the Foundation of Strength DVD to get a good base of knowledge and starting point. I also priced some kettlebells (35lb and 55lb) as I thought these weights were the best ones to start with on my program. I have had practice doing KB swings (mainly overhead but russian kb swings as well) when I did CrossFit but want to learn the best technique and build strength from Pavel's S&S and StrongFirst. Would these two kettlebells (one of each) be the best weight to use? I would also eventually seek out a certified SFG coach in my area to get instruction from as I do want to become certified myself some time next year and this would give me time to learn good technique, get stronger, and properly prepare for the 3-day certification. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I would say yes to everything you said.

Start with Simple & Sinister.
Start with 16kg and 24kg kettlebells.
Get your form checked by an SFG if possible.

You may outgrow the 16kg quickly and need a 32kg before too long.

I wanted to know if Pavel’s Simple and Sinister program would be the best way to start.

The question you need to ask is what do you want from your training with kettlebells? Do you want to get stronger? Do you want to lose weight and get leaner? Do you want bigger muscles? Do you want all of the above?

When you say you would buy S&S, then i would suggest you buy it, read it and comeback if you have any questions :)

Yes Jason I actually looked for the 32 kg but Dick's Sporting Goods did not have it in stock (at least the one I went to) but I do plan on buying one or using one at a gym that has them available. Kristensen my primary goal is getting stronger. I have a lean athletic build (6-1 and 165 lbs) and would like to put about 8 - 10 lbs. of muscle on my frame but that is secondary to simply increasing my absolute strength (i.e. increase deadlift and the presses). Thank you both for the input. I will definitely buy S&S.

Hi Victor

I have to be quick because we're about to run some errands. I'd recommend against getting bells from Dick's. I started out with some bells from a sporting goods store, but as soon as I got serious about my kettlebell training, I started noticing that the handles weren't great. Thankfully I was able to sell them on Craigslist. You'll start to notice tactile nuances that are hard to explain.

I really like the bells from Rogue. I have about 12 of them. I also have a pair of Punch bells and use DD regularly in our studio. They're all nice, but Rogue's are definitely the best bang for the buck.

I've mentioned this in other threads, but I personally get much more mileage out of my 20kg (44 lb) than my 16 (35 lb).

Enjoy the journey!

If you can get to Duluth, Quest Gym sells a nice line of kettlebells. Find them online. They're comparable to Aders, etc. Good handles, nice finish, and you can avoid shipping costs. Definitely get Simple & Sinister- that will teach you a lot and show results quickly!

Thank you James for the advice on KBs from Rogue I will take a look at the prices and ship.& hand. Tom I did not think about Quest Gym in Duluth but I will definitely look into those prices because I can just go pick the KBs up from the gym as it is only about 20 minutes from where I live. James I will certainly consider starting with the 20kg as well as purchasing the 24kg and 32kg. I was able to do all overhead swings with a 24kg when I was actively crossfitting which has been about 3 months now and did many WODs that had Russian KB swings with a 32kg.

Kristensen my primary goal is getting stronger. I have a lean athletic build (6-1 and 165 lbs) and would like to put about 8 – 10 lbs. of muscle on my frame but that is secondary to simply increasing my absolute strength (i.e. increase deadlift and the presses). Thank you both for the input. I will definitely buy S&S.

A year ago i increased my deadlift with 10kg in 2 months when i was doing S&S along with Crossfit, so get started, follow the program and have faith and patience that S&S will lead to your goals :)

Thank you Kristensen for the encouragement with your own success and testimony. I am getting very excited about doing S&S and yes I certainly understand about having faith and patience as I have had both of those traits tested the past 6 months as I had to deal with some injuries doing CrossFit as well as other life events. Tom Bop and James I just looked up the KB prices on Rogue and Quest Gym and both were much cheaper than Dick's Sporting Goods. Quest is definitely the best buy as there is no shipping and handling because I can go pick them up. It's actually $100 cheaper than Dick's.

I agree Mark and I will seek one out. I would prefer to get one or two session with an SFG just to make sure my form and technique is on point. I will eventually look to train more consistently with an SFG about 4-6 months before I plan on attending an SFG certification next summer.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom