all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Advice on One Arm Swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Even after reading Pavel's instructions, I was rather surprised when I watched his videos. Text, even good text, does not do justice to just how snappy and violent good swings are.

It's a bit scary and counter-intuitive when you first start. One tends to be tentative and "gentle" at first, trying to ease into the move "safely", but the deeper the hinge and the more power you apply through you hips and abs the safer you are. Takes a while to believe in your heart.
That's right. I seen the videos. It seems like you have to dislocate your hip joint in order to put it in place again and make that forward snap. I need lots and lots of practice!!!! Thank you

Trying to improve my 2 hand swing. I believe this is an improvement from my attempt at the single hand swing uploaded before. Form check please!!! And thank you.

It's basically OK but you need to turn up the intensity quite a bit.

Set up deliberately, tightly, in a strong hinge. Butt back, chest forward, shoulders packed.
Hike the kettlebell back aggressively.
Move from hinge to plank explosively. "Cramp you grultes, brace your abs, and pull up your kneecaps." (S&S pg 37).

I think this kettlebell is too light to really put any effort in. Too light for learning a good deadlift and/or 2H swing, IMO.

It's basically OK but you need to turn up the intensity quite a bit.

Set up deliberately, tightly, in a strong hinge. Butt back, chest forward, shoulders packed.
Hike the kettlebell back aggressively.
Move from hinge to plank explosively. "Cramp you grultes, brace your abs, and pull up your kneecaps." (S&S pg 37).

I think this kettlebell is too light to really put any effort in. Too light for learning a good deadlift and/or 2H swing, IMO.
Thanks for your advise. I currently have a 16kg kettlebell. Will be purchasing a 24kg this week following your advice and putting your tips to work. Your comments here as well as on S&S pg 15 are much appreciated.

I second @Anna C's advice about working the deadlift with a heavier bell. I've benefited by practicing the kbell deadlift and then speeding it up until I'm moving explosively. The bell basically bounces off the floor. I think I learned it from this video (Sokol Strong). I've found it helps get the hip and back mechanics right, without having to think about the arms swinging.

I second @Anna C's advice about working the deadlift with a heavier bell. I've benefited by practicing the kbell deadlift and then speeding it up until I'm moving explosively. The bell basically bounces off the floor. I think I learned it from this video (Sokol Strong). I've found it helps get the hip and back mechanics right, without having to think about the arms swinging.
I have scroll youtube and other platforms endlessly and had found great videos explaining the hip hinge mechanism, but this video that you Sir shared, is now together with my other top learning videos. Thank you.

One trick to reduce the involvement of the arm muscles is to tire them. Do frontal raises to failure, then, without setting the KB down, swing it. You will get the feel of how to use the back muscles.

There are plenty of good tutorials on the Tube as well.

I think this kettlebell is too light to really put any effort in.
This.

There's always a best weight with which to learn a strength movement, something that's heavy enough to help you understand what good form is but not so heavy as to hinder you using the very form you're trying to achieve.

-S-

Last edited:
This.

There's always a best weight with which to learn a strength movement, something that's heavy enough to help you understand what good form is but not so heavy as to prevent you from the very form you're trying to achieve.

This.

There's always a best weight with which to learn a strength movement, something that's heavy enough to help you understand what good form is but not so heavy as to prevent you from the very form you're trying to achieve.

-S-
Thank you. I went ahead and got a 24kg Bell. Been practicing two-arm swings. I think and hope that my swing is getting better. I been doing 100 swings in sets of 10, resting around 2 to 3 min in between sets. I noticed some soreness in my mid, lower back and hamstring. No pain, just muscle soreness. Is this normal? Thank you

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom