all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Advice on progressing to 40KG Getup

i was taking for granted that you had read Simple and Sinister.
If so, you simply move to a heavier kettlebell in the same way that the book suggests.

i was taking for granted that you had read Simple and Sinister.
If so, you simply move to a heavier kettlebell in the same way that the book suggests.
I’ve read S&S but didn’t recognize the waving program/technique. Thank you

They didn't look too bad to me.
Your foot is kicking up which is a problem I have. Perhaps concentrate on the roll back down from elbow and mirror the reverse motion.
Otherwise more volume will undoubtedly help. Whether that's pure play S&S, KBSF protocol, or advice above to double reps and increase roll to elbow reps.
Note: I chose 36 kg not a 40 kg and have no regrets with regard to TGU.

Your advice is appreciated. Currently I can complete 10x 32KG getups. I can consistently complete them in 15 minutes or less depending on the day. My technique is good, pace is slow , and I have complete control of the bell. That said the bell still feels heavy! I’d like to start to incorporate 40KG into my routine to progress towards simple timed. My concern is that I move to 40KG and it’s simply too much weight. Does anyone have a “test” they’d recommend to qualify that I can start to incorporate this larger bell in my routine? Buying a 36KG is an option but I’d rather save a few bucks and do what I can with 32 then move to 40.
Can you do one with 40kg?
Then do that. That might be the entire TGU-session that day.
Can you do 3 get ups in 30 minutes with 40kg, than do that.
Time is not as important.
Can't do one get down? Then only do the up-part.

Here you go

Minor things of note, just QOL-changes.
Video of details
I place arm and leg at approximately 45-60° from my body, it makes it easier to get up on the elbow. And also, i only need to do a little "kung fu handswipe" to move the hand before going up on my hand.
High hip I personally prefer on the way up to easier get the knee underneath me, on the way down, I don't like it when going heavy (makes it harder to bail out if needed).
Knee underneath me, "living toes" not dead toes. Easier to push off when trying to get up.

I dont move my knee in kneeling position, i take a step instead, there's no twisting on the kneecap which feels better and actually makes the movement easier.

Slow descent on way down (saves the knees).
I fold my hip, I dont bend to the side

Here is the side video YouTube short
A couple of things to tune up in the get-up:

Instead of palm down with the down arm—go "thumb up"

Keep the foot of the front leg planted durning the low sweep

When reaching for the ground on the way down you want that to be out (a "spine length") from the down knee/shin not behind you

Off to a great start with your get-up

Ok so a good start . Apart from what Brett suggested, you can move your foot out to the side before you transition to the low sweep..

This usually fixes the struggle in keeping the foot planted

On the way down, aim to out your hand right beside your knee. This helps fix the posture issue..

Update - I’ve adjusted my technique per @Brett Jones @Mark Limbaga suggestions. Im
Able to complete 32KG in 10 min and do 2 consecutive 32KG getups on one side. Im unable to do a single press and roll with the 40KG. My challenge at this point is the press with the 40KG. I can’t get it off the floor. I’ve done some research on GTG and have decided to implement it into my program. My game plan is 3 to 4 days a week stick with timeless simple and introduce GTG for the press with the 32KG on off days. In about 2 weeks I’ve seen considerable gains improving from 2 max 32KG presses to 5 max presses per side. Thoughts on this program to get past my press hurdle? The only challenge I’ve experienced with this approach is that TGU press during SS days are a bit more challenging due to some fatigue from the prior GTG day.

Last edited:
Update - I’ve adjusted my technique per @Brett Jones @Mark Limbaga suggestions. Im
Able to complete 32KG in 10 min and do 2 consecutive 32KG getups on one side. Im unable to do a single press and roll with the 40KG. My challenge at this point is the press with the 40KG. I can’t get it off the floor. I’ve done some research on GTG and have decided to implement it into my program. My game plan is 3 to 4 days a week stick with timeless simple and introduce GTG for the press with the 32KG on off days. In about 2 weeks I’ve seen considerable gains improving from 2 max 32KG presses to 5 max presses per side. Thoughts on this program to get past my press hurdle?
You're moving forward.. to address the next issue, have you considered using two hands to press the bell to start??

Back
Top Bottom