all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Advice on progressing to 40KG Getup

jrjones

Level 2 Valued Member
Your advice is appreciated. Currently I can complete 10x 32KG getups. I can consistently complete them in 15 minutes or less depending on the day. My technique is good, pace is slow , and I have complete control of the bell. That said the bell still feels heavy! I’d like to start to incorporate 40KG into my routine to progress towards simple timed. My concern is that I move to 40KG and it’s simply too much weight. Does anyone have a “test” they’d recommend to qualify that I can start to incorporate this larger bell in my routine? Buying a 36KG is an option but I’d rather save a few bucks and do what I can with 32 then move to 40.

Three pronged approach:
1) work with the 32kg to get closer to the rep each minute (10 min to complete 10 reps)
2) perform some sets of 2 reps in a row with the 32kg
3) partial reps with the 40kg (roll to press and to the elbow and back down)

Obviously stop before any fatigue or loss of control etc.

A few approaches that worked for me..
1. do 5-10 second pauses at each step with the 32kg.
2. press the 32kg into your starting position with one hand instead of two
3. pause in the ending position with the 32kg for time before lowing the kettlebell with control
4. get used to the starting position with the 40kg (do this for time)
5. attempt the 40kg on the second set of singles if the first with 32kg feels exceptionally strong/smooth
6. though you don't want to assume you'll fail the rep with 40kg, be prepared to catch it if you can't roll to elbow (i found that to be the hardest part of the 40kg getup)

How long have you been doing 10 getups with the 32? I don’t remember any specific cues that made me feel “ready”, other than a growing comfort working with the 32. Being able to do them all in under 10 minutes (without needing to pause between reps to recuperate) is probably a good guideline.

Buy the 36k bell. You are ready to add it now. Follow the S&S method for introducing a heavier bell. Before you know it, the 36k bell will be your everyday bell. After some time... give the 40k bell a go.

I am 55, when I do singles, I progress my bells in 4kg increments. For me, an 8 kg jump on a TGU makes me a little nervous.

A few approaches that worked for me..
1. do 5-10 second pauses at each step with the 32kg.
2. press the 32kg into your starting position with one hand instead of two
3. pause in the ending position with the 32kg for time before lowing the kettlebell with control
4. get used to the starting position with the 40kg (do this for time)
5. attempt the 40kg on the second set of singles if the first with 32kg feels exceptionally strong/smooth
6. though you don't want to assume you'll fail the rep with 40kg, be prepared to catch it if you can't roll to elbow (i found that to be the hardest part of the 40kg getup)
Good advice thx @Nick Stevens

Buy the 36k bell. You are ready to add it now. Follow the S&S method for introducing a heavier bell. Before you know it, the 36k bell will be your everyday bell. After some time... give the 40k bell a go.

I am 55, when I do singles, I progress my bells in 4kg increments. For me, an 8 kg jump on a TGU makes me a little nervous.
I can see this approach also working although I’m hoping to skip the 36KG bell using th approach Brett and other have suggested. Definitely a good fall back option. Thx @blad51

How long have you been doing 10 getups with the 32? I don’t remember any specific cues that made me feel “ready”, other than a growing comfort working with the 32. Being able to do them all in under 10 minutes (without needing to pause between reps to recuperate) is probably a good guideline.
About 4 months or so

Your advice is appreciated. Currently I can complete 10x 32KG getups. I can consistently complete them in 15 minutes or less depending on the day. My technique is good, pace is slow , and I have complete control of the bell. That said the bell still feels heavy! I’d like to start to incorporate 40KG into my routine to progress towards simple timed. My concern is that I move to 40KG and it’s simply too much weight. Does anyone have a “test” they’d recommend to qualify that I can start to incorporate this larger bell in my routine? Buying a 36KG is an option but I’d rather save a few bucks and do what I can with 32 then move to 40.
If you have time, you could do 6 weeks of Rite of passage presses with the 32 and in a cycle or two you should be able to press the 40. After that you will definitely be able to do get ups with it. There is a nice 6 week ladder program in that book.

Have you seen the program on Waving to Sinister?
You could wave your way to the 40.
Myself, I bought the 36kg and used waving to get me to the 40.

There are many ways to get this but I am sharing what worked for me.

'multi-rep getups'. I've borrowed this 'foolproof' (for me) version. a triple with (back to back without putting the bell down) your current bell will unlock the next sized bell (+8kg jump bells). So if you can do a triple TGU with 32kg then you are good to do the 40kg TGU.

So I worked up to 32kg triple TGU, and thats when I was able to confidently do a 40kg TGU. This is something I borrowed from kettlebellgrant on instagram, and as per his account its consistently worked for many of his clients.

Now you might ask how to work up to a triple TGU. I'd recommend going through his account and there are a few programs that are laid out, which worked very well for me.

Here's a little shameless self promotion, but there's some good advice on the thread:

Edit: The main take away seemed to be that doing less (after doing a lot) was the key.

Before we proceed.. perhaps a video of your getup? That way we can spot what areas you struggle with and what would be the best approach to use to help you build up to the 40kg
@Mark Limbaga - Here are reps 2,3, and 4. I can complete 10 in roughly 11 minutes now. Let me know if you have issues access these icloud videos

Before we proceed.. perhaps a video of your getup? That way we can spot what areas you struggle with and what would be the best approach to use to help you build up to the 40kg

Last edited:
Have you seen the program on Waving to Sinister?
You could wave your way to the 40.
Myself, I bought the 36kg and used waving to get me to the 40.
I have not seen it. I’ll look into this pending feedback from the videos I just posted.

May I recommend uploading it to YouTube or Vimeo and then posting the link here??

To download each file is a bit cumbersome :)

Back
Top Bottom