all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Advises for functionnal bodybuilding

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JBJB

Level 3 Valued Member
Hello,

My name is Jérôme. I'm 42 and I haven't got a huge experience in conditioning.
I practiced Lafay Method for 1 year, but this method is boring on the long run.
I would like to practice a routine with the goals above :
- Best shape. I'm more muscular since doing the method, but I don't feel so fit the rest of the time and I quickly get out of breath. I think it's useless to have muscles and strength if you can use it everyday.
- When the pandemic is over, I would like to start BJJ. So I would like to orient my training a little for this future practice.
- Just bodyweight. However, I have resistance bands and 2 dumbells.
- Hypertrophy is secondary, but it's still something I want to take into account.

I don't know how to organise routines in ordre to have a planification on a year.
Thank you for your advises.

nothing beats Simple and Sinister for BJJ. Ruck, swim or run a few times a week using something like maffetone HR training.

source: 50+ grappler with 12 years experience who just beat the crap out of two similarly trained 30 somethings yesterday. have fun!

Hello @JBJB

Welcome to StrongFirst !

First off, I guess you are French, right ? (this is a guess based on your name and also based on the fact that you practice the Lafay Method, mostly famous in France)

For a while, I trained using LF "principles", without practicing the method per se:
- high rep sets
- low rest between sets
- bodyweight only

I practiced Lafay Method for 1 year, but this method is boring on the long run.
What is your current level on the method

I used this with pull ups, push ups, squats. Back then, I used rubber band to work on single leg deadlifts and good mornings (more convenient than the exercise mentioned in the book).

No matter what we can find on LF Facebook page or whatever, this is not the best option to increase maximal strength. Of course:
- it will increase it over very long period of time, but there are better ways do to so,
- it will improve body composition
But, IMHO, the most impressive physiques and performance we see on LF blog and FB are only a few people. I do not think this is very representative of the whole practionners. The most inspiring guys are sort of especially dedicated. Most of them use LF as a bodybuilding tool, not as a performance enhancement tool.

Nonetheless, LF is excellent for increasing your relative strength or strength to body weight ratio. It will give a huge strength-endurance. Basically, this is quite good when you go for the military.

As far as your goals are concerned:
- Best shape. I'm more muscular since doing the method, but I don't feel so fit the rest of the time and I quickly get out of breath.
How is your recovery ?
For instance, do you have enough sleep ? Do you have a very active lifestyle: physically demanding job, lots of walking or whatever ?

By itself, LF will improve your cardio vascular abilities. However, nothing will replace a dedicated work to improve it. From what I remember in the book, it is stated that we can run, swim, etc... to increase endurance. This is supposed to be done on alternate days.

By "fit", I guess you mean being as strong as you look. In addition to the training, nutrition also has to be in check. What does your nutrition look like ?

I think it's useless to have muscles and strength if you can use it everyday
Do you stretch or currently use a flexibility / mobility routine ?

- When the pandemic is over, I would like to start BJJ. So I would like to orient my training a little for this future practice.
How many times per week ? This is important in terms of programming, because BJJ is fairly demanding (I practice boxing)

Now, beyond these questions, below is what I would do:

Conditioning: ~2 a week
- 2-3x running or rucking a week (probably only two if you go for 2 BJJ sessions a week). You do not need to go super long or super heavy (or both). 45 minutes of easy running or rucking with a moderate weight for the same amount of time will get the job done
- 2 sprints sessions: this is very quickly done: 10 sprints. You stop as soon as your top speed decrease, rest until your recovered, and repeat

Strength: ~2 a week
- I would do a progression towards one arm push ups. Along the way, this will maintain or even increase your pushing endurance. It will also strengthen the core (you will need it in BJJ anyway). 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps with 3-5 minutes of rest between sets. The Naked Warrior progressions are excellent. Convict Conditioning (you can easily find them on Internet) are good as well.

Regarding the push, you can also work with handstand push up, following the same sets & reps. You can do them on alternate weeks or alternate sessions.

- I would follow the same logic regarding pistol squats.

- For the hip / hinge, this will be the hardest thing. Depending on the resistance bands you have:
--> Good mornings
--> Single leg deadlifts
--> Regular deadlifts

If you do not have very "thick" resistance bands, good mornings and SLDL may get quite challenging. This will not be optimal for maximal strength, but it will offer a good blend of strength, mobility and balance, which is usefull in daily life. So again, depending on the resistance of your bands, higher reps (up to 15) may be needed).

- Core
--> Hanging Leg Raises. 5 sets of 5 are great for "overall core"
Nonetheless, you'll want to work on anti-lateral flexion, anti extension and rotation. So, to get something "well rounded" as you will need it in BJJ but also outside the mat:
--> Planks, Side bends (or lateral plank), Palloff press. For the 2 laters, you can use the bands you have. Sets 15-20.
I noticed that regarding my activities (rucking, boxing) I need both low reps (which I get using Dragon Flag) and high reps (I use resistance band crunches, side bends, and Russian twist and weighted plank).

-Pull
--> To me, this is "hybrid". I have trouble increasing my strength-endurance with pull ups if I do not do specific work. Contrary to the push up, my body does not transfer strength training to endurance. So, as you want to increase your strength using bdw only, I'd go for Convict Conditioning progression (using a towel to make them uneven for instance).

To trigger some hypertrophy, after the push ups, pull ups, I would do 1 or 2 sets of a regular variation (standard push ups, regular pull ups) for higher reps.

If you want it "plug in play" and even simpler:
You will keep you BJJ and conditioning alongside.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:
Hello pet',

Thank you for your complete answer.

First off, I guess you are French, right ?
Yes. ?

For a while, I trained using LF "principles", without practicing the method per se:
- high rep sets
- low rest between sets
- bodyweight only
You no longer practice this way?
Adorian Moldovan from oldschool-calisthenics advocates the same type of training : high reps, high volume, low rest and just simple bodyweight exercises with loads.

What is your current level on the method
I was on level 4 with 20 dips max and 15 chin-ups max.

How is your recovery ?
For instance, do you have enough sleep ? Do you have a very active lifestyle: physically demanding job, lots of walking or whatever ?
With Lafay method, I splitted trainings with 6 days a week, but with high "modes", each training (upper body) was very long. I work about 50 hours per week and I didn't have enough time to train. My job is not physical, but stressful and I often out of gaz when I go home. I run an establishment welcoming disabled people.

What does your nutrition look like ?
My answer will be a pirouette. I am Burgundian and appreciates the meals of my region. ?
So, it's not very balanced.

Do you stretch or currently use a flexibility / mobility routine ?
No.

How many times per week ? This is important in terms of programming, because BJJ is fairly demanding (I practice boxing)
Only 1 or 2 times per week.
It is a leisure practice, but I wish I wasn't completely "dumped" on the physical level (strength and endurance)

Of you want it "plug in play" and even simpler
Ok, it was interesting.
I'm going to try to use this routine with your advises. ?
I can train everyday, but 30 min max. I prefer training everyday because it becomes an habit and it's easier to follow over time.

Hello,

@JBJB
Thank you for your complete answer.
You are welcome

You no longer practice this way?
Adorian Moldovan from oldschool-calisthenics advocates the same type of training : high reps, high volume, low rest and just simple bodyweight exercises with loads.
No I do not because as you mentioned, it can makes the sessions longer. I always train full body so LF has too many exercises. It quickly gets impossible to manage.

There are more "efficient" (meaning less time spent into training with more outcome) way to train.

For instance, I currently train with 10 sets of 2 reps of HSPU. Otherwise, I train with OA push up here and there throughout the day. This simple morning routine of HSPU permits me to hit roughly 80 regular push ups, full range of motions, anywhere anytime. I can bench my own weight, etc... In general, vertical push transfers better to horizontal push than the other way around. I perform this daily.

The OA push up training is done throughout the day.

Of course, this lead to less hypertrophy, but more maximal strength and a more than acceptable level of endurance.

For the daily training as you requested, you can do something as follows:
- 3x3-5 HSPU, 3x3-5 OAP, 1-2 sets close to the max.
- Same logic for pull ups
- For the squat, you can use this:

- I would keep a posterior chain exercise (single leg DL, good mornings, etc...) with your resistance band / db

I would stretch regularly. This is routine I have been using for years. I am almost 31yo, and this is more than enough for French boxing.
- Split (frontal, side)
- Twist hold
- Toe touch (both while standing and on the ground)
- Full and slow deep squat
- Full back bridge
- Grabbing hands in the back
- Crawling (bear crawl, lizzard walk)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@JBJB
Another option you can consider for daily and variés training, which tick all the boxes is bodyweight crossfit WODs.

There is a book called CrossOps. I was advised it several times, including by army group operator (para). Workouts change everyday, short and intense, increase cardio, strength and improve body composition as a by-product. This is very sustainable as you can decide not to go 'all out' each and everytime. Another book along the same lines is 'l'entrainement des forces spéciales'

Even if there is a claim that everyone can use these books, which is true, they remain oriented towards already "in-shape" folks to get the most out of it. IMO, you belong to this category due to your LF training. For instance, you have the ability to do pull ups, etc...

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:
Hello pet',

For the daily training as you requested, you can do something as follows:
- 3x3-5 HSPU, 3x3-5 OAP, 1-2 sets close to the max.
- Same logic for pull ups
- For the squat,
Ok, it's a great idea. Do you train 7d/7 with this routine ?
Grease the groove gives me good results during vacation, but the problem is that I work from 8h to 19-20h.
I can't grease the groove in my job. ?

I would stretch regularly. This is routine I have been using for years. I am almost 31yo, and this is more than enough for French boxing.
- Split (frontal, side)
- Twist hold
- Toe touch (both while standing and on the ground)
- Full and slow deep squat
- Full back bridge
- Grabbing hands in the back
- Crawling (bear crawl, lizzard walk)
Ok, thank you. I will test.

There is a book called CrossOps. I was advised it several times, including by army group operator (para). Workouts change everyday, short and intense, increase cardio, strength and improve body composition as a by-product. This is very sustainable as you can decide not to go 'all out' each and everytime. Another book along the same lines is 'l'entrainement des forces spéciales'
On Bodyweight reddit, crossfit and other training like wod is not recommended because, according to them, crossfit, circuit training, hiit ... are not good for hyperthrophy and not good for strength too.
I have already leafed through one of the versions of the crossops, but I found It was very difficult even if I practiced Lafay Method for 1 year.

Amicalement,

JBJB

Hello,

@JBJB
Ok, it's a great idea. Do you train 7d/7 with this routine ?
This is a routine I use when on the go. It works very well for maintaining all my abilities. I just add SLDL / good mornings with my resistance band to get the posterior chain training. I secure the conditioning with what I can do where I am (burpees, etc...) Each time I use it, I just get back to training where I was, or I even improved

I currently train 6 days a week with this routine:
- MED & Pull ups
- Pull up: 5 x 1r @32
- HSPU: 10 x 2r
- Pistol @8kg: 10 x 1r (ES)
- Core: Dragon Flag: 10 x 2r ; HLR: 1 x 5r
- OA Swings @40: 10 x 10r
- Whole body flexibility & mobility

MED is "minimum effective dose": I use it as a warm up, which is 1 One arm one leg push up (each side), 1 pistol (each side) and a set of 23 pull ups. The whole thing last 45 minutes.

On the top of it, I do 2 boxing sessions a week, 2 sprints sessions (roughly 15 minutes) a week and 2 ruckings sessions with 40kg backpack (45 minutes in the wood nearby (5 minutes from home, with the backpack already on my back)). In the WE, I usually do a trail for 1h15, just for recovery and moving. There are 2-3 'high rep core training' (anti lateral flexion / extension / rotation), as I noticed an improvement in my rucking for I do this.

On Bodyweight reddit, crossfit and other training like wod is not recommended because, according to them, crossfit, circuit training, hiit ... are not good for hyperthrophy and not good for strength too.
Yes and to a certain extent, this is true. CF and stuff are clearly not oriented towards pure hypertrophy or pure strength, especially if we go for bodyweight wods. As I said, it will give a blend of strength, cardio, etc... It can not replace a true strength training (heavy weights, low reps, long rest), and it can not replace a pure endurance training (basically, a LSD running session). It will not be optimal neither for speed or power (like boxing stuff). The goal is really to get a coherent mix, to become a "jack of all trades, master of none".

When we go for bdw wods, there are several options:
- "regular" moves (push ups, pistols, burpees, ring training, etc...)
- "mobility" moves (kick through, etc...)
- mix of the 2 previvous

For a while, I trained with the latter. When doing so, I moved very well (even better than today, despite my mobility routine). I also had a more "tonic" body. I did not gain a lot of mass / hypertrophy, but I got way leaner (probably because it forces to use muscle we are not used to, at a relatively high intensity). By leaner, I mean more visible abs, defined muscles.

My endurance back then was not better than the one I have today. It was roughly the same I would say. However, I currently use an endurance routine (rucking & running) so we could say I currently "cheat" in the comparision. I used several protocols, from day to day: HICT, HIIT, EMOM, AMRAP, etc... The plan was to vary a lot, but using full body everyday. Intensity was sort of "self-regulated".

As a drawback, I was not as strong as today even if I was still able to do plenty of push ups, etc...For instance, I was not able back then to do a pistol with 20 kg of weight. But I was still able to do sets of 10. Can it be considered "enough" ? Well, I guess it depends on the goal.

I never got injured doing this training. Form has to be good. If form is good, CF is sure and there is efficacy. Depending on the day (or period), you can regulate the intensity (HICT is close to AGT training, which is super sustainable, EMOM as well).

I have already leafed through one of the versions of the crossops, but I found It was very difficult even if I practiced Lafay Method for 1 year
The aerobic capacity is something we build upon. It may be "long" to build, but last for very long time as well. If this is really something that you feel you are weak at, nothing will beat 2-3 LSD runs a week. You can also do jump rope if you do not have a nice spot to run or if this is more convenient. Once you have this aerobic base, you will be able to build just everything you want as far as cardio is concerned

Bien à toi,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom