all posts post new thread

Nutrition Aero Press

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JeffC

Level 7 Valued Member
Coffee is the only preworkout I have used for a number of years, and recently Coconut Coffee. I am a huge coffee fan. I have paid up to $100 per pound for a gold metal Kau coffee while visiting the Kau region on the Big Island of Hawaii.

I have been using a Pour Over for a while, but recently bought an Aerobie Aero Press. It is easy, convenient, and makes fantastic concentrated coffee. You can add water to suit your taste, or drink it straight. I take it to work with me so I do not have to drink what passes for coffee there.

Anyone else try, and love the Aero Press? I highly recommend it.

Geoff... Also passionate about coffee (some say obsessed). I think the Aero Press is a great device. I haven't used one because the last time I looked they only came in plastic. Do you happen to know if they have a glass or stainless version yet?
I also got some killer coffee on the Big Island.
If I'm not mistaken there is a pretty decent roaster in Calgary.

I use mine at work. It means I can take up almost no space with it, but get to avoid the teribble acidic instant stuff that resides there.

I did get read the riot act by my supervisor the other day though, when disucssing my migraine triggers (sometimes doctors are the worst patients in the world....).

That's interesting. I love my french press, not sure if I could change. I assume that the concept is the same, that the it is a "submersion" technique to extract the flavours?

@wespom9 it is halfway between that and an espresso. Much shorter time with the submersion than a cafatiere but lower pressure exherted than an espresso. You get a large shot of something approaching the shot that should go into a flat white.

I love the Aeropress for making a single cup. Lots of different ways you can use it (I use the inverted method) and hard to get bad results (it works well with a variety of grind sizes and still works well with relatively inexpensive grinders).

There is no glass or stainless version and probably never will be (based on posts by the inventor, Alan Adler). Personally, that is not something I worry about, and plastic has much better heat retention properties than glass, metal, or porcelain (this goes for pourover cones as well).

You can steep the coffee longer via the inverted method, or shorter via regular method. It uses small filter discs so you do not get the sediment you would from a French press, and uses a finer grind for more extraction. I do not have a problem with the plastic it is durable for hiking, biking, Nordic sking, and traveling, and much cheaper than a glass version would be at $35. It is lite, and takes up very little space.

I take my burner, and fast boil cup, and can be drinking awesome coffee in less than 2 min on the trail, or in the back country

@wespom9 it is halfway between that and an espresso. Much shorter time with the submersion than a cafatiere but lower pressure exherted than an espresso. You get a large shot of something approaching the shot that should go into a flat white.

+1.
The packaging implies that it makes "espresso," which it clearly does not. Depending on the recipe, it can make concentrated or regular strength coffee. The concentrated coffee is good in milk drinks or diluted to make regular strength coffee in a larger quantity than can be brewed in the press itself.

I still use my old trusty French press. Love my cold brew coffee.

But I have to say that $100 pound of coffee better have been some damn good stuff.

I got into the French press when I tried to limit my heated plastic intake to almost nothing.

I was a firm French Press person for a good number of years but since getting the AeroPress I haven't used my french press. Great little device, simple, quick, convenient and amazing coffee. Lots of recipes out there to experiment with.

I've never used an Aero Press. I'm always tempted to buy one, but it'd just be another gadget around the house.

I've been getting into cold brew coffee lately. I love having the ability to make a week's worth of coffee at a time; I just keep it in the fridge. Cold brew really seems to maintain the natural sweetness of the bean and cuts back on acidity. I'd highly recommend giving it a try.

@Mach Won Cold brew is just the best. I made 2 half gallons in 2 beer growlers to take camping recently. Saves me money and tastes a hell of a lot better than the camp store sludge.

sorry if this is hijacking the thread, but I second (or third) the cold brew. I just make it in my french press 24 hours prior to needing it. Instead of making coffee then pouring it, I pour it then make more. It's a great way to make strong coffee that's not too bitter. If I'm doing day shifts I do hot coffee in the cold morning, if I'm doing night shifts I do cold coffee in the hot afternoon. It's the perfect balance :).

@Snowman I've been meaning to play around with cold brew times. I usually do about 14 hours. Have you noticed a difference in brew times? I figured there would be a point where the water just couldn't saturate anymore.

I've owned an aeropress for just over a year... I love it! I'm the only person in my household that drinks coffee and I don't need to make a whole pot just for me. I highly highly recommend getting the stainless steel filter accessory instead of using the paper filters. It allows for more of the coffee oils in your cup and makes the coffee that much better!!

Coffee is the only preworkout I have used for a number of years, and recently Coconut Coffee. I am a huge coffee fan. I have paid up to $100 per pound for a gold metal Kau coffee while visiting the Kau region on the Big Island of Hawaii.
FWIW, I am not a fan of any coffee I've had from Hawaii. It's very expensive, and I'd describe the taste as very smooth, but I like my coffee with more edges and thus found the Kona I've had very disappointing. I don't know if the coffee you describe is Kona or similar.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom