all posts post new thread

Nutrition Aero Press

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Ka'u is the South Eastern District of the Big Island. It is renowned for its coffee. I cannot recall the name of the plantation, but they grow and roast world class coffee. They also grow cacao.

At the southern most tip of the island is the green sand beach. The same mineral content that makes the sand a vivid green, makes the coffee so unique. Sadly the day I was at that particular beach it was full of debris from the tsunami in Japan. Quite a sight.

@Michael Scott sorry to muddy the waters; 12 hours is the recommended minimum brew time, as far as I know. 24 hours works fine, and if you make it at the same time each day in single day amounts, then that's what it ends up being. It's pretty flexible.

@Michael Scott sorry to muddy the waters; 12 hours is the recommended minimum brew time, as far as I know. 24 hours works fine, and if you make it at the same time each day in single day amounts, then that's what it ends up being. It's pretty flexible.

Ok, that makes sense. Thank you for the clarification. Time for some research & planning.

I drink too much coffee, but since I have no other vices I've just go with it. Intrigued about this Aeropress. I looked it up and it looks good and the reviews are as you all have stated. How much coffee does it make? I see on the side it goes up to 4, is that cups? Are they the traditional 6 oz. cup or other? Sounds as if the coffee it makes is almost a concentrate and then it have to water it down. Can you make just a traditional American cup of joe with it?

Is this for the type of coffee drinker that wants one or two cups each day? If you are like me and drink a pot each day, sometimes more, would the Aeropress be more of a hassle than say a good drip maker? Thanks in advance.

I drink too much coffee, but since I have no other vices I've just go with it. Intrigued about this Aeropress. I looked it up and it looks good and the reviews are as you all have stated. How much coffee does it make? I see on the side it goes up to 4, is that cups? Are they the traditional 6 oz. cup or other? Sounds as if the coffee it makes is almost a concentrate and then it have to water it down. Can you make just a traditional American cup of joe with it?

Is this for the type of coffee drinker that wants one or two cups each day? If you are like me and drink a pot each day, sometimes more, would the Aeropress be more of a hassle than say a good drip maker? Thanks in advance.

The capacity of the Aeropress is limited. The maximum quantity of regular strength coffee I make with it is one large mug (a little over 450 ml) using about a 15:1 brew ratio (usually 31g coffee). The output from the press ends up being about half the mug, and I fill up the rest of the mug with hot water. To make much more would really take multiple pressings.

For a full pot up to 1.2 liters, I use the Behmor Brazen Plus autodrip coffeemaker. It has a few unique or unusual features such as an adjustable and very accurate brewing temp, altitude calibration (especially important if you live at altitude; most machines brew too cool and even cooler at elevation), an adjustable pre-soak/bloom time, a really good shower head design, water released in short bursts to mimic pourover, and a manual mode you can use to dispense hot water into a teapot or other brewer.

I've also heard good things about the Bonavita 1900.

The capacity of the Aeropress is limited. The maximum quantity of regular strength coffee I make with it is one large mug (a little over 450 ml) using about a 15:1 brew ratio (usually 31g coffee). The output from the press ends up being about half the mug, and I fill up the rest of the mug with hot water. To make much more would really take multiple pressings.

For a full pot up to 1.2 liters, I use the Behmor Brazen Plus autodrip coffeemaker. It has a few unique or unusual features such as an adjustable and very accurate brewing temp, altitude calibration (especially important if you live at altitude; most machines brew too cool and even cooler at elevation), an adjustable pre-soak/bloom time, a really good shower head design, water released in short bursts to mimic pourover, and a manual mode you can use to dispense hot water into a teapot or other brewer.

I've also heard good things about the Bonavita 1900.

Thank you, that is very good information.

Agree. I just purchased an aeropress based on info provided by @Geoff Chafe and I'm totally impressed, but it is for small batch brewing. If you want multiple cups without the expense and technology of a auto drip you can always go with a larger size French press.
Regardless of what method you opt to brew your coffee bear in mind...
  • Good water
  • Heated to the right temperature for your beans and altitude
  • Clean Kit
  • Quality beans freshly roasted and ground
  • The right grind for the type of extraction method
Or you can get creepy coffee at the gas station....

Coffee is the only preworkout I have used for a number of years, and recently Coconut Coffee. I am a huge coffee fan. I have paid up to $100 per pound for a gold metal Kau coffee while visiting the Kau region on the Big Island of Hawaii.

I have been using a Pour Over for a while, but recently bought an Aerobie Aero Press. It is easy, convenient, and makes fantastic concentrated coffee. You can add water to suit your taste, or drink it straight. I take it to work with me so I do not have to drink what passes for coffee there.

Anyone else try, and love the Aero Press? I highly recommend it.
It sure seems nice to try, thank you for your recommendation. I like my coffee light with some milk in it, it just feels great.

Generally accepted wisdom is that the shelf life of green coffee beans is six to twelve months, roasted coffee about a month, and ground coffee only about a week. In our house, we keep big bags of green beans around, roast about once a week, and have a machine that grinds immediately before brewing.

-S-

Something called a WearEver Popcorn Popper. Works great, I buy used for about $40 each, each lasts roughly 6 months. Tried store-bought, prefer this.

-S-

After some research, and a lucky happenstance, I am now brewing cold coffee. I came across the Primula Cold Brew Carafe at my local Wal-Mart. For $12.88, I am making about 2L of cold coffee every morning. I have been experimenting with the amount of coffee grounds going into the filter, as well as the flavor of the coffee. I have been trying Folgers French Vanilla & Colombian Roast in a 50/50 blend. For me, about 3/4 of a cup of grounds is the perfect amount. One cup of blended grounds is a little strong, and 1/2 a cup is too weak to me.

Just thought I would share this discovery.

Oh, @Snowman, the recommended brewing time is 24 hours......just as you stated.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom