all posts post new thread

Bodyweight aerobic base work

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Throwing the cat amongst the pigeons here....for an activity that lends itself to slow movement and connecting to the world around you....I vote for crawling - in any form.

Slow breathing, deliberate slow movement....this will build a very strong body and an ability to improve reflexive stability like no other.

Richard

Throwing the cat amongst the pigeons here....for an activity that lends itself to slow movement and connecting to the world around you....I vote for crawling - in any form.

Slow breathing, deliberate slow movement....this will build a very strong body and an ability to improve reflexive stability like no other.

Richard

I'm interested to hear more. Do you crawl for extended periods, just as people run for extended periods? I've heard ten minutes non stop crawling is a good goal. Do you go out beyond this for aerobic base building?

EDIT: just seen one of your other posts answering my question, about crawling for over thirty minutes. That's very impressive.

Some things about Cardio Vascular Training I gathered freely from Kenneth Jay's Cardio Code.

Cardio - Vascular training definition:
Any form of exercise that improves heart and circulatory function and efficiency via central and peripheral changes and aerobic and anaerobic energy pathways.

Cardio- Vascular training has to 1) increase stroke volume of the Left Ventricle and not to limit venous blood return (which happens with weightlifting) to the Right Atrium 2) deliver oxygen to the working muscles and remove carbon dioxide (which gets difficult in prolonged tensed muscles, because blood flow is hindered), 3) increase capillary density by stimulating formation of new capillaries, 4) increase the efficiency of oxygen extraction by increasing the working arterial - venous O2 difference and 5) improve aerobic and anaerobic turnover.

then there is the ability to use oxygen as expressed in the formula
VO2= Stroke Volume x Heart Rate x (Arterial O2-Venous O2) [ml O2 per minute]

When lifting weights because of the tension, oxygen extraction is limited because a very small amount of blood can enter the muscles and blood returning is hindered also, thus the heart walls are filled to less degree.

With weights the Heart Rate can get really high but Stroke Volume and (arterial O2 - Venous O2) are relatively low in the VO2 equation. The heart rate for a given VO2 usage is much higher while weight lifting than with dynamic low resistance exercises where rapid tension relaxation cycles of agonist and antagonist muscles occur, as can be measured in a lab. Therefore, one can not use HR as an indication vor cardiovascular stimulation with weightlifting.

An increase in VO2max can be achieved when blood can get to the muscles easily, delivers its Oxygen and return as venous blood with little restriction back to the heart and the cycle repeats for a prolonged time.

It seems, that it is all about tension and relaxation, not only for strength, for "cardio" also...

Some things about Cardio Vascular Training I gathered freely from Kenneth Jay's Cardio Code.

Cardio - Vascular training definition:
Any form of exercise that improves heart and circulatory function and efficiency via central and peripheral changes and aerobic and anaerobic energy pathways.

Cardio- Vascular training has to 1) increase stroke volume of the Left Ventricle and not to limit venous blood return (which happens with weightlifting) to the Right Atrium 2) deliver oxygen to the working muscles and remove carbon dioxide (which gets difficult in prolonged tensed muscles, because blood flow is hindered), 3) increase capillary density by stimulating formation of new capillaries, 4) increase the efficiency of oxygen extraction by increasing the working arterial - venous O2 difference and 5) improve aerobic and anaerobic turnover.

then there is the ability to use oxygen as expressed in the formula
VO2= Stroke Volume x Heart Rate x (Arterial O2-Venous O2) [ml O2 per minute]

When lifting weights because of the tension, oxygen extraction is limited because a very small amount of blood can enter the muscles and blood returning is hindered also, thus the heart walls are filled to less degree.

With weights the Heart Rate can get really high but Stroke Volume and (arterial O2 - Venous O2) are relatively low in the VO2 equation. The heart rate for a given VO2 usage is much higher while weight lifting than with dynamic low resistance exercises where rapid tension relaxation cycles of agonist and antagonist muscles occur, as can be measured in a lab. Therefore, one can not use HR as an indication vor cardiovascular stimulation with weightlifting.

An increase in VO2max can be achieved when blood can get to the muscles easily, delivers its Oxygen and return as venous blood with little restriction back to the heart and the cycle repeats for a prolonged time.

It seems, that it is all about tension and relaxation, not only for strength, for "cardio" also...

Thanks for the explanation.

Do you know how temperature fits into this account? For example, in a sauna one can be extremely relaxed yet have a high heart rate. Some people also enjoy swimming in icy water and ice baths. Also, one can go for a walk when it is really cold or really hot, which affects heart rate as well.

in a sauna one can be extremely relaxed yet have a high heart rate.
I really like sauna for many reasons. It relaxes and increases heart rate for sure. the heat is a kind of stress, shorter exposure relaxes and feels good too much of a good really gets stressful for the body and mind I do not want to get trapped into 90 Celsius..my guess is that it has to do with maintenance of the homeostasis of 36 C Celsius body-temperature and aids with sweating to cool the body. Maybe comparable with cooking milk on a stove: stirring the milk keeping the fluid moving prevents scorching.

nervousness, anger and anxiety would not be the best endurance events, although some pitiful contemporaries live in chronical states of these emotions.

@Harald Motz thank you for your insight. For the last two weeks I have also been implementing long, slow, aerobic runs into my training.

For me, I am running home from work five days per week. The distance is just over 5 miles. I set the pace by breathing only through my nose, though I don't always run the whole route with nose-only breathing, rather I use it intermittently to ensure I am going at a nice slow pace while staying maximally relaxed.

I love it, as it encourages a sense of calmness and I really view it as a kind of active meditation.

Having added this to my routine, I am now pretty active. I perform 100 one-arm swings and 10 bent presses (all swings and bent presses are now with 40kg, at a bodyweight of ~73kg) 4-6 mornings per week. Then on top of this I run as outlined above, plus Muay Thai 4-6 days per week, with sparring in each session.

I must say, the addition of running in this manner has improved my ability to remain relaxed when sparring, allowing me to have greater in-ring endurance and staying power. A fine addition to anyone's training I imagine, but especially those who take part in full-contact fighting, which is an activity that relies on remaining relaxed so as not to 'gas out' too quickly.

@Harry Westgate: I think you are having a great set up with basic yet highly effective training: strength, power, mobility, endurance, skill.

Your training seems well integrated with your live: your work and martial arts. Cool stuff.

@Harald Motz your approval is much appreciated, thank you. For myself, having something of a daily or near-daily routine which covers all bases/GPP and requires minimal thought ensures that I stick with it. For instance, I much prefer something like S&S (or my version, with bent presses rather than TGUs) which encourages daily training, and think that I would struggle to stick with something like the Rite of Passage these days, as it varies so much across the week. I do enjoy the simple things.

Yes, you make a great point about my training being well integrated into the other facets of my life. I would add that running home from work almost makes me think of it not even as a form of training or exercise, but rather a form of transport; something that needs to happen, and something that is more fun than sitting on a bus!

Last edited:
For myself, having something of a daily or near-daily routine which covers all bases/GPP which requires minimal thought ensures that I stick with it.
The same with me. Sometimes I re-think of what I am doing but not over- think it. I just want to work on it without working hard on it.

PS @Harald Motz as always, I'm thoroughly enjoying your Instagram posts - the various 'anyhow lifts' you've been doing lately are extremely impressive!
anyhows make happy and strong in a creative way without overthinking it: how much weight, how many reps, how much rest... Just focusing on moving well and performance. Filming myself is a very helpful tool. When I am done with a lift I sit down in peace looking what I have done on the phone while recovering, trimming the video to length, watch another time and thinking about the next set up. In the end I have just a few heavy lifts with adequate rest. Strength and mobility somehow-anyhow.

Comparing 10km rowing on the Concept2, 9 weeks in between.
rudern 10km - 01-25-18.PNG
01/25/18: rowing 10km - 46:28 min - 125avg/131max - 130 Watt average

rudern 10km - 03-31-18.PNG
03/31/18: rowing 10km - 42:52 - 124/avg/137max - 165 Watt average

Comparing the average Watt output this would be an increase of almost 27%.
Looking at the time I am 216 seconds faster, that would mean a decrease of a meager 7,75 %.
But that reflects my subjective feel: to be just say 100 seconds faster on the rower, I have to pull considerably harder. Apples and Oranges.

I set the pace by breathing only through my nose, though I don't always run the whole route with nose-only breathing, rather I use it intermittently to ensure I am going at a nice slow pace while staying maximally relaxed.

Am I understanding this to be that you use nasal breathing to check your speed, then return to mouth breathing?

Am I understanding this to be that you use nasal breathing to check your speed, then return to mouth breathing?

@aciampa Yes, pretty much exactly this. I very much go by feel, and will start the run with nasal breathing, then once I have a feel for the pace after a minute or two, I just breathe in through the nose, out through the mouth.

Then, I use the nasal breathing as a tool to ensure my pace remains gentle. So if at any point I feel myself speeding up too much, I revert back to the nasal breathing which allows me to slow back down if I need to. In reality, I probably spend about half the run nasal breathing - sometimes more, sometimes less.

Sometimes (like I did two days ago) I will just nasal breathe the whole way if the mood takes me.

Having only recently got back to including long runs as part of my routine, I can only say, so far, so good. I enjoy it, it hasn't left me sore despite the high volume, and seems to help me in other facets of my life, both mental and physical. Having said that, I welcome any advice which might make my running more efficient or beneficial.

Sometimes (like I did two days ago) I will just nasal breathe the whole way if the mood takes me.

I personally use this method only and always, to include at rest, while running, or while snatching. I use my mouth to eat and/or talk. I'm not one to tell you what you should do...

Having only recently got back to including long runs as part of my routine, I can only say, so far, so good. I enjoy it, it hasn't left me sore despite the high volume, and seems to help me in other facets of my life, both mental and physical.

Exactly! Enjoy this. Don't play around with things trying to improve on this.

I personally use this method only and always, to include at rest, while running, or while snatching. I use my mouth to eat and/or talk. I'm not one to tell you what you should do...

Just to clarify, do you mean by this that when running, you personally only nasal breathe? Also, when you say you use it when snatching, do you mean the rest intervals between sets (as I imagine nasal breathing during a set of snatches to be pretty brutal :eek:)?

Exactly! Enjoy this. Don't play around with things trying to improve on this.

:)

Your input is greatly appreciated!

Just to clarify, do you mean by this that when running, you personally only nasal breathe? Also, when you say you use it when snatching, do you mean the rest intervals between sets (as I imagine nasal breathing during a set of snatches to be pretty brutal :eek:)?

Yes. In and out through the nose only; when running, during a set of snatches, between snatch sets for recovery, etc.

Have enjoyed reading everyone's take on aerobic

As a former competitive distance runner whose knees prohibit significant mileage or lengthy runs, I've spent much of my outdoor activity doing weighted hikes (military calls them rucks).

These allow me to spend a good chunk of time in the woods - my happy place - and I can stay below my "MAF" while still pushing myself. It also is good prep for hikes and backpacks that I'll do in the spring and fall, usually in the Catskills here in NY - there are 35 peaks over 3500' feet that I am working on summiting.

Working toward Simple has actually been a stabilizer for my knees, so we'll see if I can't get back out there with some running.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom