all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Aesthetics

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Holy smokes! Pandour definitely could have passed for a Frazetta model, if Frazetta ever used one (supposedly not).

Time to get serious with the wife's 10lb dumbbells...

pandour6.jpg

Hello,

@North Coast Miller
I tried the Sandow's light dumbbell routine for a while. It is actually quite hard to accurately control all the muscle (for instance, max relaxation of the triceps, full contraction of the biceps, during a curl). However, progression is fast. It tranfers very well to daily life. For instance, when you lift something or punch or whatever, it teaches you how to get maximal result with the very minimal amount of energy expenditure.

David Bolton in his book "The Lost Secret to a Great Body" deeply got into this routine and get impressive physique (very lean, very muscular, but not "bodybuilding") and also got nice physical performance.

Maxick and MonteSaldo training (muscle control only) is supposed to give similar results. However, it almost turns into "internal martial arts". This is very interesting to learn how our body works though:
Philosophy, Science and Practice of MAXALDING

I guess they still perform a few heavy lifts "here and there" though. However, if they trained like that for real, this is impressive...

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@North Coast Miller
B. Pandour had a gymnast background, so I suppose it built at least a part of his strength and physique foundation. Then, if the "stair sprint carry" is true, I guess his training was not "strength-only oriented" but was more GPP-like. This could explain why he was not considered as a strongman per se

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@North Coast Miller
I tried the Sandow's light dumbbell routine for a while. It is actually quite hard to accurately control all the muscle (for instance, max relaxation of the triceps, full contraction of the biceps, during a curl). However, progression is fast. It tranfers very well to daily life. For instance, when you lift something or punch or whatever, it teaches you how to get maximal result with the very minimal amount of energy expenditure.

David Bolton in his book "The Lost Secret to a Great Body" deeply got into this routine and get impressive physique (very lean, very muscular, but not "bodybuilding") and also got nice physical performance.

Maxick and MonteSaldo training (muscle control only) is supposed to give similar results. However, it almost turns into "internal martial arts". This is very interesting to learn how our body works though:
Philosophy, Science and Practice of MAXALDING

I guess they still perform a few heavy lifts "here and there" though. However, if they trained like that for real, this is impressive...

Kind regards,

Pet'

Have recently fallen in with Isometrics. Initially was part of a rehab plan for golfer's elbow and to learn more as I'd never used a dedicated Iso scheme.

As my elbow recovered I began to phase out the Iso, viewing it as an accessory to my regular resistance training, but began to miss it almost immediately. I now view my regular resistance training as the accessory work, or at least equal partners. While Iso does not = Maxalding or Sandow/Pandour, the principle of producing force with maximum intent and focus irrespective of actual amount of resistance is common.

I noted this in my log and narrowed the effect down - when I follow a tough Iso session within 24-48 hours with a 12 minute session of jump rope HIIT, I pump up like a ripe tomato - can literally feel my shirt getting tight. This effect is limited to those two variables - HIIT following regular resistance training simply feels like challenging cardio, resistance weight training following Iso just feels like more exercise. Very strange.

There are a lot of physiological cause/effect when it comes to strength training, some of which are not very intuitive. These old time strongmen and physical culturists knew a great deal, many details of which were never recorded.

Hello,

@North Coast Miller
I ended up the Sandow's routine due to lack of "cardio" actually.

I enjoy doing a few sets of push ups, pull ups, abs and squats, with very low rest. This gives a great cardio (heart training + muscle endurance), followed by a "brutal" HIIT / Tabata.

This works well on me as I am more an "endurance guy" than anything else. I am not sure I can progress that way, but it gives me enough strength to maintain front lever, oaol push ups, one arm chin, pistols. For instance, a simple crunch or "pike compression" done as if you were about to get punched makes this simple exercise extremely tough.Nonetheless, I have not enough discipline to follow a program for long enough to get this kind of "ripped physique" like yours or Pandour's or Sandow's. I vary too much I think ahah.

When I see it have worked for all of you, maybe I should get more discplined !

Sandow was not really diet oriented. Same goes for Maxick. Basically "the poison is in the dose" were their motto. They never ate too much, but ate a little bit of everything. Simple and efficient, with great work ethic.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Of the below Olympic athletes, I think the wrester, sprinter, and discus thrower have the most athletic appearance close to those hero archetypes.

Olympic_Men.png

Wrestling - TGU and Snatch
Discus - Swing and Snatch
Sprint - Sprint

Development likely comes from the dose of each. 10x TGU each day is different than a 2hr wrestling practice. 100x swings is probably more similar to discus practice. Sprinting practice is only replicated with sprinting practice in my experience though.

Personally when it comes to casual aesthetics/hypertrophy most people could just periodize for mass and shift diet to improve body comp. The discussion doesn't have to immediately jump to full-house BBing.

I've personally found, just doing some kind of HIIT KB workout like a Geoff Neupert KBM program etc. for 6-9 weeks, combined with a fat loss type of diet does the trick

I've personally found, just doing some kind of HIIT KB workout like a Geoff Neupert KBM program etc. for 6-9 weeks, combined with a fat loss type of diet does the trick

I use some HIT and just work a variety of rep/loading. I don't chase the pump or use isolation exercises, but I have good luck using high tension, high fatigue principles.

Side note - since including a good dose of Iso I look like to my eyes like I'm shrinking a little but have actually added about 5 lbs and my working weights continue to inch up.

Hello,

@North Coast Miller
Beyond the body composition, did you notice any performance improvement : For instance lifting heavier, being more endurant, etc...

What is your HIIT routine ? Do you train your iso moves using several angles (middle position, etc...)

Of course, everyone is different, but I think your HIIT training makes all the difference in terms of body composition and hero-like look.

For instance, Alexander Zass mostly relied on iso and grip but is not as pleasing to see as Sandow or Pandour or Sick
Strongman Profile: Alexander Zass Teaches Us About Isometrics
Alexander Zass -

Kind regards,

Pet'

Posture seems to be the first thing I notice/am drawn to in the opposite sex.
And to return to the importance I see in walking, walking is probably the best way to develop and maintain correct, attractive, upright posture.

Although I shouldn't talk because I shave my face, I don't really see the point in women shaving their legs. If hairy legs were so bad, men would shave theirs too. I wonder when this fad began and why?

Last edited:
20190104_145545.jpg 20190104_145506.jpg
These are pictures of me as of a few minute ago. I haven't done S&S for a few days, but I've done an average of 1 hour of walking a day for about the past week, and I've been to judo once. I've done S&S 4 times over the past week. I do the swings with the 32 and the getups with the 40. I've been intentionally not doing deadlifts, dips or any other moves recently to see if by avoiding them my S&S will progress. Before about a week ago I was sick with the flu for a month and did almost no exercise at all. I am not in "tip top" shape right now, but in spite of that I think that having done S&S 4 times over the past week gives you an idea of what effects S&S has on my body shape. I look a bit fatter than usual around the face. This problem will go away over the next while as I get back into my routine.

Last edited:
Hello,

@North Coast Miller
Beyond the body composition, did you notice any performance improvement : For instance lifting heavier, being more endurant, etc...

What is your HIIT routine ? Do you train your iso moves using several angles (middle position, etc...)

Of course, everyone is different, but I think your HIIT training makes all the difference in terms of body composition and hero-like look.

For instance, Alexander Zass mostly relied on iso and grip but is not as pleasing to see as Sandow or Pandour or Sick
Strongman Profile: Alexander Zass Teaches Us About Isometrics
Alexander Zass -

Kind regards,

Pet'

I just started doing HIIT a few months ago, using jump rope. 20 seconds on, 40 seconds off, 12 minutes. I definitely feel like I have more wind and am able to maintain better breathing while doing all out effort. Once a week feels like plenty - any more might go backward or tread water, same with the ISO. The longer I do these the more benefit I feel - almost as though I could stop regular weight bearing training and maybe add another round of Iso and HIIT/week, but I don't have the desire to make changes when I'm getting good effect.

I started doing the Iso (vid below) at about the same time. I cheat a little with my Iso as there is a slight amount of intentional movement around the joint. The biggest thing I notice is how easy it is physically to recover from an intense Iso session. I also seem to have improved ability to ramp up force when I initially attempt to move heavy objects. I'd swear overall motor control under load has been improved but that might be wishful thinking.

For Hypertrophy/body comp I credit a somewhat watered down HIT protocol. I don't do Arthur Jones/Drew Baye style all out one set, but I do build up to a single set of low rep max effort, often with set extender of Rest/Pause or Dropset. If I had more time and equipment I could do more in the BB line, but I prefer to use compound movements and use a lot of different tools (another thing that HIT works well at accommodating). If I hit my mass target this year I'll likely drop back to more of an SF/A&A methodology to maintain long term.

@Kozushi who’s the guy in your profile pic?
I'm lazy. It's a photo from our judo club website from a while back. You can see I wasn't as big back then. That was before I started S&S. Just changed it to a new one.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, 32kg swings and 32/40kg get-ups have done a lot for my physique but I've found that including the biceps curls at the bottom of the warm-up goblet squats, especially with a heavier bell (32kg for me), can really help 'fill-in the gaps'.

If I didn't eat quite so much bread and peanut butter, I'd probably have a six-pack to be proud of.

This is excellent advice. Bicep work and lack of rowing are the only holes I can see in standard kettlebell routines. I use the cable row and cable face pull, and dumbells for arms to supplement KB and barbell routines.

Hi guys

I tend to get a few weeks into a strength / KB / performance based program and then change course for a more traditional bodybuilding program and the aesthetics. It sounds crazy when I type it out, bc I'm not a vain person, but it's happened a few times now, even though intellectually I know that the strong first / KB physique, combined with low bodyfat, probably is quite aesthetic.

Anyway, I was thinking it may help to see some examples of the SF physique. Would any of you guys be able to share any pics?

Thanks !

I think there is a simple solution. Stick to your core SF type routine with KB or barbells with your compound lifts done, and then chase the pump with light dumbells as a finisher for biceps etc. for non-compound lifts. This should help.

OR

There are some KB hypertrophy programs that can be used once you have built a base. Clean and Press, double front squat complexes are incredible powerful.

Hi guys

I tend to get a few weeks into a strength / KB / performance based program and then change course for a more traditional bodybuilding program and the aesthetics. It sounds crazy when I type it out, bc I'm not a vain person, but it's happened a few times now, even though intellectually I know that the strong first / KB physique, combined with low bodyfat, probably is quite aesthetic.

Anyway, I was thinking it may help to see some examples of the SF physique. Would any of you guys be able to share any pics?

Thanks !

There is no one SF type look because it depends on the tools used and genetics but it is more likely that men will look like this if you train with Kettlebells vs bodybuilding splits:

More of a gladiator-old time strongman type look with a stronger shoulder girdle, wider stronger abs, and strong forearms/grip and all around development but not huge quads/hams. A more solid posterior chain--armor building as Dan John puts it. A body that looks like it can move and do things. There will be likely less pronounced chest development (not bench pressing) and arm-bicep development than bodybuilding. Think Roman soldier breastplate. Better overall core development (getups rather than crunches etc.) that may result in an "adonis belt" if body fat percentage is low. Look at classical statues--no pumped up chests, which is a modern affectation. North Coast Miller is a good example I think.

I would like to point out the impressive physiques that are actually strong of some of the guys here over 35 who consistently train when bodybuilders have often long since let themselves go. I see KB use as more likely to indicate training over a lifetime rather than specific goals.

@Kozushi that’s better. Matches the weight you move.
Actually, I didn't give it much thought before, but comparing the before and after pictures I can really see an enormous difference!

On another note, I'll second what people are saying about doing the curls in the S&S program - they are part of the program and are supposed to build mass in the arms. It's explained like this in the book.

My other comment is about being in it for the long run. I've seen some guys keep up with their lifting in the 500lbs plus range their whole adult lives, but only a precious few. Most drop down to something more like what we're doing with our kettlebells - i.e. lighter but still respectably heavy weights, more mobility work, and more cardio/endurance training. This stuff is just simply more practical for life than only going for heavy weights. Not that going for the heavy stuff is bad - just that going for more general physical preparation is fine too, and it isn't like you'll look any worse for it!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom