all posts post new thread

Old Forum after ROP

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

NJRick

Level 3 Valued Member
Hello StrongFirst,

I have not yet completed the ROP but am thinking about the future.
Dan John advises moving to doubles after the 1/2 BW press is achieved (if this is the path I plan to take I would like to order more kettlebells and start practicing doubles in the near future). However, I wanted to know if anybody has instead continued their press ladders with a bell half their bodyweight or heavier. Or is this not recommended for the program? It would be an amazing feat of strength but that much weight and volume might be too much.

thank you

Rick, experience shows that people who plan their next step before completing the current goal have a harder time completing the latter. One thing at a time.

Pavel,

Thanks for the reminder. I need to stay mindful of what I am currently doing. I'll ask this question again in the future.

cheers

NJRick, the next step after achieving your 1/2 bw single arm military press is to take a well-deserved week off. Eat, sleep, rest and relax, take long walks and while you're out for a stroll, contemplate your next move.

It's a common concern to monitor one's down time so as not to lose the strength and fitness you've acquired. I have found it works exactly the opposite way - only when I've taken enough time off that I feel I am beginning to get _weaker_ have I achieved my greatest successes in my training. I am just back from 9 days of no weights whatsoever, and my training is going great again.

So really, now, work hard to complete your ROP and plan on then being a bum for at least a few days. :)

-S-

Solid advice Steve,

I have spent a lot of time away from home this summer and have always driven with my 40kg in fear of losing strength. It's comforting to know that some time off is not the worst thing. As far as long walks go, to paraphrase Pavel's "The Cost of Adaptation "post outdoor activities are non negotiable!

Anyway, if you want to gain absolute strength, a program of double bells would be a great choice IMO. Something like RTK will give you tremendous strength, and you can control growth in size by your nutrition. The only difficulty is that you need a good stack of kettlebells for that.

get the 1/2 bw press, enjoy it for a while... probably do S and S for a period of time while deciding what the next pursuit will be...

remember keep the goal as the goal

NJRick -> You sure can, or like me at least can "try"?

https://youtu.be/DmYRStwHiQg thats 40kg @BW 70kg.
Not really happy with the technique on that one (cheating a bit, expanding to much with the ribs/chest and actually bounces a bit with the feet), Working on getting it better.

Aim for the stars with your dreams, make your goals big and let the steps on the way achievable. Never stray from the Path!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom