all posts post new thread

Kettlebell After Swings - Low Back Loading

I was going to add the same feedback Anna had—not finishing your knee extension.

Could you do two things:
1) Video of your KB Deadlift (full view so we can see the feet as well)

2) Another video of your swings (one from the front—one-arm please—and one from the side and both in shorts)

Ok, @Brett Jones and @Anna C, I shot some more videos. Feedback is appreciated; https://www.strongfirst.com/communi...looking-for-feedback.21431/page-3#post-461241

Sun and Mon my lumbar was giving me some general tightness, but two days off seems to have helped. Yesterday I did ten sets of 2H swings with the 32KG, and five sets of L/R TGU's 24KG/32KG/24KG/24KG/24KG without too much effort.

Today is actually a rest day, as I'm only doing S&S three days a week right now, but felt good enough I decided to try some one-hand swings with the 32KG.

Ok, @Brett Jones and @Anna C, I shot some more videos. Feedback is appreciated; https://www.strongfirst.com/communi...looking-for-feedback.21431/page-3#post-461241

Sun and Mon my lumbar was giving me some general tightness, but two days off seems to have helped. Yesterday I did ten sets of 2H swings with the 32KG, and five sets of L/R TGU's 24KG/32KG/24KG/24KG/24KG without too much effort.

Today is actually a rest day, as I'm only doing S&S three days a week right now, but felt good enough I decided to try some one-hand swings with the 32KG.
On the deadlift:
The bell should be between your heels not out beyond your feet. You want to be able to place your center of mass over the kettlebells center of mass and activate your lats.

And on stance:
Adjust Your Sails (and Your Stance) with the Lock and Rock | StrongFirst
Try the lock and rock and allowing some outturn to the foot position/stance.

On the swings:
I would go lighter on the one-arm swings and focus on finishing up in a standing plank.
How tall are you?
Be that tall or a 1/16th of an inch taller at the top on the swing.
"ignore" the bell and focus on "firing up" into the full height standing plank.
Practice this on your two-arm swings as well.

On the deadlift:
The bell should be between your heels not out beyond your feet. You want to be able to place your center of mass over the kettlebells center of mass and activate your lats.

And on stance:
Adjust Your Sails (and Your Stance) with the Lock and Rock | StrongFirst
Try the lock and rock and allowing some outturn to the foot position/stance.

On the swings:
I would go lighter on the one-arm swings and focus on finishing up in a standing plank.
How tall are you?
Be that tall or a 1/16th of an inch taller at the top on the swing.
"ignore" the bell and focus on "firing up" into the full height standing plank.
Practice this on your two-arm swings as well.
Yeah, Anna chided me about the bell being between my heels. To be honest, that's one movement I've not practiced with kettlebells. I'll be working on that. I would deadlift a barbell at the gym years ago, but that different. Always trying not to rack the shins. And I hated barbell deadlifts. More experience was with random objects growing up on a farm. So that's probably another reason they are pretty sloppy.

Thanks for the article link. I'll read that and digest it over the next week. I find that I need to do that with a lot of the SF articles.

As for my height, I'm 5' 6"...on a good day. LOL When you say "go lighter on the bell" do you mean drop back to the 24KG for one-hand swings? That's actually what I've been sticking to when doing them sparingly this year until I sorted out my joint issues. I just decided to try the 32KG today because I felt sporty enough and figured it might manifest any other weaknesses and make them more obvious.

Yeah, Anna chided me about the bell being between my heels. To be honest, that's one movement I've not practiced with kettlebells. I'll be working on that. I would deadlift a barbell at the gym years ago, but that different. Always trying not to rack the shins. And I hated barbell deadlifts. More experience was with random objects growing up on a farm. So that's probably another reason they are pretty sloppy.

Thanks for the article link. I'll read that and digest it over the next week. I find that I need to do that with a lot of the SF articles.

As for my height, I'm 5' 6"...on a good day. LOL When you say "go lighter on the bell" do you mean drop back to the 24KG for one-hand swings? That's actually what I've been sticking to when doing them sparingly this year until I sorted out my joint issues. I just decided to try the 32KG today because I felt sporty enough and figured it might manifest any other weaknesses and make them more obvious.
Yes—drop back to the 24kg for the one-arm swings.

The 32kg for two-arm is likely ok.

The KB deadlift sets the foundation for the swing so spending time on the KB Deadlift is an important part of the process IMO.

Keep us posted

Back
Top Bottom