all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Age and Recovery

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
This is a great thread. A great question and lots of great feedback. I have little more to offer the OP that hasn't already been said, but...

I'm 48, so perilously close to that "masters" category. But before my 40s, I didn't "train"; I just "exercised."

Change the number to 54, and ditto. And I guess sadly change the second number to late 40s. Happy it's no longer the case.

As a fitness enthusiast though, I practice to be stronger and more resilient. I love training to challenge myself and work out my frustrations. We all have to accept aging and be better.

trying to learn a new skill and having the strength and mobility to fully embrace the process, albeit lacking in many inelegant ways, is a great blessing.

Really like the way both of these are said.

My concern would be that we'd end up having to segment that into strength, endurance, etc.

Steve, FWIW - if you create a masters section, I'd decide up front there would be no sub-categories. Unnecessarily complicated for no compelling reason. I'd kind of see a masters section like the instructors section, which also has no subcategories. If one wants to post something specific to the training modality/tool, post under that tool. If the desire is to target a specific audience, post to that audience. The poster just has to decide, which is fine.

Just adding that unlike the instructors section, I'd make this one open, so those perilously close can also participate :)

Hopefully I can articulate my question.

I am 52, I have been lifting regularly for a little over a year. I have made good strength strides, OK mobility and flexibility improvements, and a lot of my ole aches and pains have either went away or have been reduced. I am still too heavy, but realize this is a diet issue vs a lifting issue.

My question is can recovery be improved similar to aerobic conditioning or strength? Or as you age, you just are not going to recover as well?

When I started training again, I would follow various programs, and what I have found is that working out a body part more then twice a week or working out intensely more then 3 times a week just seems to wear me out and it hasn’t really improved over time. ( I can do a program like easy strength 5 times a week and be OK, but no way can I lift intensely 3 times a week lets say on bench or squats)

I am wondering if I should work on my conditioning a little more, would this improve recovery?

Would any type of supplement help such as BCAA’s, creatine or glutamine.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
I am 50 and I practice for S&S about 4 times per week. I started about 1 1/2 years ago. I also work at a factory and do some light physical labor so that adds to total workload my body performs. I vary the training load depending upon how I feel.

For recovery I don't think there is anything more important than a good night's sleep. I got checked for sleep apnea and found out I do have it. I started sleeping with a cpap machine a couple months ago and I think I can tell the difference in how I feel. There were times in the past when I would come home from work and then practice with kettlebells. The next day I would wake up feeling beat up. Now I seem to feel much better in the morning.

I made up my own recovery drink for after practice. If anyone else has used this name for it I have not heard it before. I call it a PPRD for post practice recovery drink. It has 44 grams of carbohydrates, 30 grams of protein, and 5 grams of creatine. A drink with carbohydrates and protein is proven to help recovery when taken after training. I couldn't find a drink I liked at the store so I made my own. It's made of Tang, whey protein isolate, and creatine monohydrate.

Best of luck in your training.

I'm 48 but have joint issues so am very conscious of the march of time. Recovery is the number one issue for me in relation to ageing and I take an holistic approach that starts with how I train, as follows:

* Lighter weights
I lift primarily in the hypertrophy ranges of 10 to 15 reps and only occasionally go below eight reps (exception deadlifts). My joints respond and recover better with lighter weight
* Extra rest days
My usual approach is to take a 3 workout per week program and spread it over nine days. Alternatively I just consciously add rest days
* Abbreviated training
My usual workout is no more than four exercises. A loaded carry for warm up then one pushing, one pulling and FB/legs (usually deadlift)
* Monitor joint soreness
I often won't workout if there is residual soreness in the joints from the previous workout. This can happen when I've exercised to failure or done a 'heavy' workout of low rep sets. I add a rest day or two until the joints feel rested
* Monitor alcohol
I am a daily drinker, usually low alcohol beer, and alcohol definitely impacts recovery so i will consciously reduce consumption if working out at higher intensity
* 10000 steps
As a pedometer junkie I am very focussed on 10000 steps daily and that constant moderate low intensity exercise seems to assist with recovery and sleep. I definitely notice the difference when I end up with a low step day

Reactions: jef
For recovery I don't think there is anything more important than a good night's sleep. I got checked for sleep apnea and found out I do have it. I started sleeping with a cpap machine a couple months ago and I think I can tell the difference in how I feel. There were times in the past when I would come home from work and then practice with kettlebells. The next day I would wake up feeling beat up. Now I seem to feel much better in the morning.

Robert-
While I do not know your work hours I wonder if your post-work kettlebell workouts were leaving you too stimulated in the evening leading up to sleep? The question is offered in full realization that people do not always have the liberty to workout at their preferred time. Certainly sleep apnea would be a big culprit, my oldest son started with a cpap machine a few months ago and it has made a profound difference.

Robert-
While I do not know your work hours I wonder if your post-work kettlebell workouts were leaving you too stimulated in the evening leading up to sleep? The question is offered in full realization that people do not always have the liberty to workout at their preferred time. Certainly sleep apnea would be a big culprit, my oldest son started with a cpap machine a few months ago and it has made a profound difference.

I agree with what you stated about being overstimulated. There was one time that I had an unusually stressful day and then practiced with the kettlebells. I thought it would help me get the stress out but it actually may have overstimulated me. I couldn't sleep and then ended up going to work the next day exhausted. The stress from work could have been enough to keep me awake but having a kettlebells session on that particular night probably didn't help. I have found that if I am already stressed out it may be better to try to relax if I have to go to bed soon.

There was a period in my practice when I was doing a lot of high tension exercises. I may have overdid it. I had trouble getting to sleep and after I did I woke up a short time later and my arms and shoulders were tight almost like I was flexing them. I couldn't get back to sleep. I do think high tension or high intensity exercise could be worse for stress than a moderate aerobic session.

Reactions: ali
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom