all posts post new thread

Bodyweight AGT Running

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I do short hill sprints. They are short and steep, and only take about 10 seconds(depending on where I am on the hill/dam). I do this for more then just aerobic improvements. I feel it generally helps all -around fitness, for lack of better way to put it.

I will say that this is good training in addition to LSS, not to replace it. The hill training and very occasional fartlek is about the only running at intensity I use outside of racing. I do a lot of LSS.

Derek Toshner at the ATC seminar emphasized 80-100m sprints (depending on capability) with 2min rest up until 30 sprints. Stop when you fall below your target time. Ex: I run 80m aiming for 11s. If I hit 12, I stop.

In fact, he is a track coach and we did a lot of running form in the seminar. I highly recommend ATC.

The issue with rest intervals is complete recovery v incomplete recovery.
One is more or less appropriate than the other depending on training goal. Both have value.

One is more AGT than the other.

But what is meant by AGT?

No or very little if any anaerobic glycolysis to mild and offset by intervals, or a drop in intensity. And then to high, offset by longer intervals. Or something else? And all that in terms of frequency and recovery variables.

Then the variables of power output, velocity and effort and whether the focus is on power v endurance or training one to supplement the targeted goal...ie an endurance focus but using sprinting to train 'a kick' for a stage or stages of an event or training speed endurance for a speed event.

Or for health? Or gpp? Or to train repeat sprint ability for a running sport.

I dunno what a SF endurance would look like, not being a competitive endurance runner. And, in general, training for competition v general health goals will be different. The same applies to sprinting. Competing in sprints is different from sports conditioning which is different from general health goals.

A snapshot of my training will look sort of AGT at times but another snapshot will be different and not AGT at all because the focus is to train the gkycolytic system. Could be long rests but might not be.

Governed by the Law of It Depends.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom