all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Alactic + Aerobic continued...

This is a really nice way to get into 'stress free' work - set a time frame, and let the repeats happen according to the day's ability.

I like that, and then over time a baseline emerges, and serves as an indicator of proficiency at that given time interval for that load and reps. +/- a standard deviation from said baseline I should expect to see a baseline rise over time.

I like that, and then over time a baseline emerges, and serves as an indicator of proficiency at that given time interval for that load and reps. +/- a standard deviation from said baseline I should expect to see a baseline rise over time.
I like to recommend for A+A training the use of a hr monitor. Starting the next repeat at a (low) baseline. It is foolproof. And as you say you literally 'see' the rising of a baseline with hr charts over time. Therefore the hr monitor is very usefull for A+A work. Surely rest between repeats can be guided by calmness/urgency to breath without a monitor - but with hr graphs development becomes pretty obvious.

I like to recommend for A+A training the use of a hr monitor. Starting the next repeat at a (low) baseline. It is foolproof. And as you say you literally 'see' the rising of a baseline with hr charts over time. Therefore the hr monitor is very usefull for A+A work. Surely rest between repeats can be guided by calmness/urgency to breath without a monitor - but with hr graphs development becomes pretty obvious.
I generally feel that the average heart rate should be in the zone 2 range as a thought for going the distance so to speak.

Screenshot_20220914-183100_Polar Beat.jpg

This is my HR from today's session.
KBSF Plan A, 30x1 LCCJ per arm @ 20 kg (much lighter than Harald...) - my 10RM weight.

The spike happened when I didn't do fast-and-loose, but checked my phone to see my HR graph :D

It will be interesting to see how this develops with increasing density.

Last edited:
Trial run at @Harald Motz's suggestion to simply put a time interval down and train for said interval. I chose swings in sets of five with pullups and reverse lunges done in singles on the odd and even numbered sets respectively. I used a 32KG bell on odd sets and 24 KG bell on even sets, creating a sort of 'mini'-deload on even numbered sets.

In forty-five minutes I achieved the following:
  1. 28 sets of 5, for 140 swings with 70 reps at each load.
  2. 14 pullups and as many reverse lunges to (mostly) technical correctness (had some noticeable wobbling near the end from some fatigue so I slowed my rate of 'couplets' to compensate).
  3. Maximum Heart Rate: 162 BPM and Average Heart Rate: 136 BPM, the spikes into the 160s occurring in the clusters near the end.

View attachment 19049

This is my HR from today's session.
KBSF Plan A, 30x1 LCCJ per arm @ 20 kg (much lighter than Harald...) - my 10RM weight.

The spike happened when I didn't do fast-and-loose, but checked my phone to see my HR graph :D

It will be interesting to see how this develops with increasing density.
Follow up.

Today I did 30x C-J-C per arm @20 kg. The added clean made quite a difference. 23 more BPM than last time.

Screenshot_20220916-130012_Polar Beat.jpg

Follow up.

Today I did 30x C-J-C per arm @20 kg. The added clean made quite a difference. 23 more BPM than last time.

View attachment 19068
Still you got into a nice steady state. You can probably go quickly to 2 full reps on the C&J.
I assume that within two/three sessions you level at around 148 bpm as you will find your efficiency, rhythm and groove soon. As we are into fall your capacity is in the rise...

Another follow up:
After two weeks of a strength block (C&P) I returned to LCCJs and repeated my last work load twice. Here is the comparison from 1st to 3rd session. Average HR is 5 beats lower and I felt more calm and in control. So there are definitely some adaptations happening under the hood.
CJC Comparison 22-10-12.JPG

Another follow up:
After two weeks of a strength block (C&P) I returned to LCCJs and repeated my last work load twice. Here is the comparison from 1st to 3rd session. Average HR is 5 beats lower and I felt more calm and in control. So there are definitely some adaptations happening under the hood.
Maybe. Not to be a killjoy, but there can be a huge difference among the same workout administered at different times just from, for example, a 10 degree drop in temperature.

Maybe. Not to be a killjoy, but there can be a huge difference among the same workout administered at different times just from, for example, a 10 degree drop in temperature.
Sure. Conditions were pretty similar though, and the middle session showed the same trend.

Another follow up:
View attachment 19333
I witnessed the same trend. I think that's the magic of the two-week stabilization period: you can measure progress in the HR drop and it's most likely to stop in, surprise, two weeks. So only then do you add another clean to the mix.

to add another killjoy: @Bauer was not getting 'conditioned' - he just got more efficient with technique and more convenient with the scheme - but nevertheless he's getting into improved condition. The real fun and magic will unfold when getting into the full 3 reps on 30 sec: you will be getting even more efficient with tha added side effect to be getting more conditioned.

this was yesterday's 4r x27 timeless. With the double C&J I will be having some (aha) moments for the next years. Dam of a lift. Hope to be getting efficient at some point - even then it kicks the butt.

to add another killjoy: @Bauer was not getting 'conditioned' - he just got more efficient with technique and more convenient with the scheme - but nevertheless he's getting into improved condition. The real fun and magic will unfold when getting into the full 3 reps on 30 sec: you will be getting even more efficient with tha added side effect to be getting more conditioned.
Yes, it's easy to confuse test familiarity with improved conditioning. Does it matter whether it's one or the other? Maybe, but maybe not.

Yes, it's easy to confuse test familiarity with improved conditioning. Does it matter whether it's one or the other? Maybe, but maybe not.
I agree. And I wasn't necessarily implying that my conditioning improved.

If strength is a skill, as a wise man once said, then I am fine with the interpretation that I merely improved my skills - of doing the LCCJ, resting between sets, and getting through the session more efficiently - or even the skill of sleeping better.

If strength is a skill, as a wise man once said, then I am fine with the interpretation that I merely improved my skills - of doing the LCCJ, resting between sets, and getting through the session more efficiently - or even the skill of sleeping better.
I like how you’re using two week blocks between grinds and ballistics here.

I've heard that there are benefits to longer blocks, like 4-6 weeks as opposed to two. Have you considered doing that?

Two double C&J sessions from last days:

Thursday L&A: Lactic & Anaerobic:

around set 8/9 I felt the acid in the forearms...11/12 in the legs too + shoulders
Reps were relatively high (for me), and rest was pretty condensed. The overall hit of the C&J is pretty systemically.

today A&A:

Interesting is the hr graph: I filmed each repeat seperately: when the two reps were done I walked to the phone, pressed stop and started again for the next repeat. While resting for the next one I shaked legs and arms out.

After the 21 repeat I just stopped filming, and went immediately into short brisk walking mode for recovery. When you watch the hr graph - it is subtle but noticeable (spikes lowered slightly) it felt physically and mentally easier. Walking in and of itself is the 'ultimate' aerobic activity - works very well in the context of A&A.

Other than that: Double C&J is a different kind of a beast...and girevoy is another planet in another universe...(not for me for now haha)

Well done, keep some charts of 'improvement' posted. I love this stuff.

Considering this for today's A&A Session:

45 Minutes:

Swings x 5
Pushups x 10 (On odd numbered rounds)
Kickstand Squats x 2 (on even numbered rounds)

Drink water, rest briefly to let heartrate calm down to about +20BPM above zone 1 for me (144 BPM).

Row 500m

Edit: The end result as follows:

22 rounds completed:

110 x Swings at 32KG (Two handed)
110 x Pushups
22 x Kickstand Squats

Average HR: 146 BPM
Maximum HR: 170 BPM

500 Meter Row:

Average HR: 158 BPM
Maximum HR: 183 BPM
Time: 2:01 (min: sec)

Kinda interesting that the row jacked my heartrate up higher than the swings did.

Last edited:
some double C&J of the week:

Screenshot_20221018-235537_Polar Flow.jpg
...a timed session.

Screenshot_20221021-002249_Polar Flow.jpg
timeless, higher rep per repeat. The blue graph below is my brisk walk around the bush after setting the bells down. I collected 1,62k m, a good mile.

today's heavy doubles for four reps timeless, with recovery walk in between.

The LongCycle is a 'hard' lesson of the exponential model:
- two bells in contrast to one
- heavier bells in contrast to the lighter
- one rep more in contrast to one rep less
the best concept to deal with it is: timeless.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom