all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Alactic + Aerobic continued...

We have unit level PT once a week and last week we did 30s/60s (sprint for 30 seconds then walk for 60 seconds). That sounds like yet another way A+A training can be used, and I found it an effective way to train.

for untimed A+A start the next repeat when breathing is fully normalized and do a lot of repeats.

for timed A+A go until you don't pass the talk test anymore. Here you would need/do less sets than than untimed repeats.

breath watching works for eaach individual.
I love those practical advices. Help me understand the concepts and make those applicable to other modalities. Example: when I practice a calisthenics skill for a certain time, I now know how to not swim in acidic environment. Even if my practice is not A+A, those auto regulations help in other forms of exercises.

for untimed A+A start the next repeat when breathing is fully normalized and do a lot of repeats.

for timed A+A go until you don't pass the talk test anymore. Here you would need/do less sets than than untimed repeats.

breath watching works for eaach individual.
I love those practical advices. Help me understand the concepts and make those applicable to other modalities. Example: when I practice a calisthenics skill for a certain time, I now know how to not swim in acidic environment. Even if my practice is not A+A, those auto regulations help in other forms of exercises

I’ve been searching around here and noticed someone was doing heavy dbl cleans for their A+A, I love cleans so I’m even more interested now!.

I remember @Harald Motz did that, like 3 reps with 2x40kg, untimed (?).
untimed is a great way to put on some load

@Harald Motz - I was intrigued by your squat session where you took a rep on the minute, every minute, for an extended period. I did the same with weighted hardstyle pullups - 1 rep per minute, every minute, for an hour - awesome session! A lot more volume than I would normally get with the weight I used and much less overall fatigue.
There could be said so much about working singles. To much pros with...I can't really see any cons. Heavy weight, great form in setting up and the one rep, a lot of volume can be achieved in a session...or multiple sessions a day...many sessions within a week, great recoveries in a session...from session to session, powerbuilding by keeping up good speed, hypertrophy effects by the load plus volume, high training focus, building lots of strong endurance...

There could be said so much about working singles. To much pros with...I can't really see any cons. Heavy weight, great form in setting up and the one rep, a lot of volume can be achieved in a session...or multiple sessions a day...many sessions within a week, great recoveries in a session...from session to session, powerbuilding by keeping up good speed, hypertrophy effects by the load plus volume, high training focus, building lots of strong endurance...
Do you think there are some types of movements that fit into this scheme whereas others might not?

My gut feeling is that something like a kettlebell swing might be better with multiple repetition sets, even if low repetitions, as you're not really training at a high percentage of a one rep max in most cases, whereas movements that are more "grind" type movements or those that are more loadable (if that is a term) might fit better into this model.

Do you think there are some types of movements that fit into this scheme whereas others might not?

My gut feeling is that something like a kettlebell swing might be better with multiple repetition sets, even if low repetitions, as you're not really training at a high percentage of a one rep max in most cases, whereas movements that are more "grind" type movements or those that are more loadable (if that is a term) might fit better into this model.
an A+A guideline is to do rep(s) lasting 10 sec...+-5. Basically I think almost any kind of exercise can be done in a short time frame. When I do my SSB singles the actual one rep takes around 5-6 seconds, from unrack to rack around 15sec.

For 'grind A+A' 1-3 reps with an intensity you might be able to do 6-12 solid reps would work well.
Usually something you can set up rather quickly like DL, C&P. The SSB can be set up very well, allthough it actually takes a lot of time...therefore singles are a great way to train this particular move. On the deep SSB squat could be said a lot too by the way...

working within the robust A+A guidelines invites for experimentation 'to see how it goes'.

Last edited:
Would shuttle runs (150m every 75 seconds) be considered Alactic and Aerobic?
I would think that 50-75 meters to be a more appropriate distance. Follow with a 90-120 second rest, or whatever you need to be recovered. Most college sprinters will run repeats with as long as 5-10 minutes between sprints. Since most of us aren't at that level and putting out that amount of energy into a three-hour session from pre-stretch to cool down I would imagine a couple minutes should about do it.

I would think that 50-75 meters to be a more appropriate distance. Follow with a 90-120 second rest, or whatever you need to be recovered. Most college sprinters will run repeats with as long as 5-10 minutes between sprints. Since most of us aren't at that level and putting out that amount of energy into a three-hour session from pre-stretch to cool down I would imagine a couple minutes should about do it.
Thanks. I figure with any sort of interval/sprint training I keep the following dictum in mind: "End on a high note." i.e. if I run an especially good quality interval/speed I end the session there so I don't inadvertently train stupid.

I'm working on programming interval/shuttle run/sprint work into my programming once a week after I do getups and goblet squats (I do A&A swings with bench presses and front squats twice a week) and that was some useful information.

After running the strength cycle I designed back in November of this year I'm switching to a 2x/week program @Justin_M put on a thread for martial artists. For the curious the program is here: (link).

I plan to run it for two six-week cycles then switch back to my other program from November for about six weeks. In both cases I'm consistently pushing, squatting and pulling/hinging (though in the former I'm swinging kettlebells as main hinge versus deadlifting and doing KB swings as in my previous program).

The general split is as follows:

Mon: Justin's Program (A&A Swings, Bench Press and Front Squat ladders)
Tues: Goblet Squat/Hand release pushups and Getups, with shuttle runs/interval runs/sprints - with the latter finished on a high note.
Weds: Endurance/LISS (A.M.) and Jiujitsu (P.M.) when I've kicked this cold
Thurs: Rest
Fri: Unit PT (A.M.) and Justin's Program (P.M.)
Sat: Ruck (A.M.) and Open Mat (P.M.)
Sun: Rest

Back
Top Bottom