all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Alactic + Aerobic continued...

I've put this one on IG yesterday, and received some reactions about it. I gave some explanation about it in the comments too. This is a kind of training which everytime I do it I feel and think about how awesome this little package is. It fits well into the A+A, Q&D, emom kind of things:
We talked in the other thread - I will post my jump strategy here, I'll film next session. Posting here now so I don't forget!

@Harald Motz How do you juggle with C&J and snatch ?
Focus on one exercice for a few weeks, or one different exercice for each practice through the week ?
I am not harold, but I am currently running the KBSF c&j program and the swing program concurrently. I do 2x's a week of the c&j program as written and the swings I eliminate the medium day so I get a heavy day where I push the 1H swings, then light day where I match the time but with 2H swings.... I ruck once a week as well

@Harald Motz How do you juggle with C&J and snatch ?
Focus on one exercice for a few weeks, or one different exercice for each practice through the week ?
Last months I did C&J sometimes extensively....
I am not harold, but I am currently running the KBSF c&j program and the swing program concurrently. I do 2x's a week of the c&j program as written and the swings I eliminate the medium day so I get a heavy day where I push the 1H swings, then light day where I match the time but with 2H swings.... I ruck once a week as well
...but currently I think I go a bit that route: 2 C&J and one A+A Snatch session (or vice versa) a bit of Aerobic work, a bit of simple squatting some bent pressing/get up. Just to maintain and being consistent as usual.

Hi everybody
I´ve started A+A training style a couple of weeks, and it´s been a good journey.
Like i said before i´ve been doing:
-snatch x5
-C&Px1 (heavy) + Pullup (1-5) reps
-BW Squat jumpsx10 + Pushupsx10 (definitly a keeper) @Adachi i put the squats here :)
I´ve benn doing untimed and planed to go OTM in the future.
So my question to @Harald Motz and the rest of the party, i don´t have a row machine, i was wondering if i could do bag punching boxing after the weigths, how can i incorporate this, any sugestion? Is not for every day becouse on other days i could do an easy run or walk.
Thank you in advance.

So my question to @Harald Motz and the rest of the party, i don´t have a row machine, i was wondering if i could do bag punching boxing after the weigths, how can i incorporate this, any sugestion? Is not for every day becouse on other days i could do an easy run or walk.
Thank you in advance.
I'm sure it was already discussed at times before...
...hit the bag hard with strikes and or kicks for 10 sec +-
Walk around, shake the body, normalize breathing and hit again, and again...
Explosive martial A+A for sure.

...the same as above. It is that simple, really. The A&A guidelines/principles can be easily adopted to almost any exercise which can be set up quickly and executed fast too.
Indeed, here is an excerpt from a previous SF newsletter which listed some of the recommended grinds and ballistics for A+A:

The first question is: what is better, quick lifts and sprints or strength exercises?

When your main goal is mitochondrial development in fast twitch fibers, power exercises rule and sprints are close behind. In contrast, “grinds” deliver less than half the gains of either. When it comes to “what the hell effects,” quick lifts also have the edge. (To learn more, refer to The Quick and the Dead.)

Thus someone like a boxer or a general fitness minimalist could do just fine limiting himself to explosive A+A. But if your sport or occupation demands repeated strength efforts—think wrestling or moving pianos—or you simply enjoy lifting heavy stuff, add “grinds” to your A+A arsenal as well.

Following are short lists with some of the top general A+A exercises, quick and “slow.”

Explode

Since A+A exercises are done with high volume and frequency, they must be easy on the joints. For that reason, Prof. Selouyanov recommended choices that reduce or eliminate eccentric loading such as box jumps and hill sprints. (Eccentric loading is not a problem with most kettlebell drills as good ergonomics dissipate the shock away from the joints.)
  • Sprints, especially uphill or up stadium steps
  • Box jumps
  • Power pushups
  • Many exercises with rubber bands
  • Medicine ball or rock or kettlebell throws
  • Kettlebell swings, cleans, and snatches
  • Kettlebell push presses and jerks
  • Barbell power cleans
Grind

An important consideration for A+A grinds is the ease of setting up, picking up and “parking” the weight. For instance, the bench press is a poor choice because the set-up is slow and meticulous. The barbell back squat is borderline since proper bar placement is not instant.
  • Sled or car pulling and pushing (can also be explosive)
  • Weighted step-ups and walking lunges
  • Pistols
  • Pullups
  • Farmer carries
  • Barbell front and Zercher squats
  • Barbell deadlifts (this and some other “grinds” can also be made explosive)
  • Kettlebell goblet and front squats
  • Kettlebell military presses
  • Kettlebell get-ups
Plus, there are various hybrid exercises such as the kettlebell clean plus military press plus front squat from the classic “strength aerobics” circuit by Alexey Senart, StrongFirst Certified Senior Instructor.

The barbell back squat is borderline since proper bar placement is not instant.
Therefore my SSB squats work nicely. I dip under it, get tight, pull the handles into me walk out quickly tighten up and do a rep (or two) and rack it again. From un rack to re rack last 12/13 sec, the one rep around 6 seconds. Working on the minute I get into a nice groove quickly.

Screenshot_20230327_122047_Polar Flow.jpg
the monitor a bit off at times, but it was a nice one, temperature quite chilly. Will be interesting how I am affected by it the next days. The 5r x38 Sunday last week gave me doms for a whole week (after snatch lay off for 8 weeks or so).

...just about any exercise can be worked 'A+A guidelines style'. I thought myself to doing bentpress work like this for singles for up to...like todays snatch session. Just simple relatively easy lifting.
I think you might be right. Tried out A+A style on the RowErg this morning, 15 seconds of hard pulls on damper setting 10. HR went up to high 140s/low 150s, easy row until HR returned to 105BPM (160 minus my age) before repeating. Fun session.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom