all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Alactic + Aerobic continued...

Screenshot_20230329_170542_Polar Flow.jpg
Clean & Jerk Ballerei.
- the 60 otm snatches two days ago provided very mild soreness as opposed to last week after the snatch lay off
- '...after A+A snatches I feel like Hulk!', says my buddy Phil. Absolutely afterwards I am green and feel like it
- double long cycle + single bell snatches are like tzar and tzarina
- I did quite a lot 2 x 32 x 30 otm. It's a good step load. Sometimes it's easier...sometimes just heavier. I can't do the same session twice as I can't step into the same river twice
- just wanted to hit 3r x 33...to left that one rep to hundred in the tank. 3r x 33 as there are three threes in it. looks nice on paper, so thats was my primitive planning for the session.

Alactic and Aerobic ballistic work, with some chassis integrity grinds (goblet squats and Turkish getups - possibly windmills and bent presses) might well be some pretty good work for a future plan later on down the road.

Today I did the following: 30 minutes of kettlebell swings x 5 EMOM, one handed with 28KG and 32KG swings, every third set was 32KG and I managed the following:
  • Average Heart Rate: 138 BPM
  • Maximum Heart Rate: 163 BPM
Then I did a set of Bench Press (a rep test) at 85% Sorta Max at 190 lbs for five reps and the same for Front Squat for five reps. Average Heart rate dropped to 136 BPM post these two sets then I went home.

I was justly proud of the power I expressed into EACH kettlebell swing, however I wound up getting a skin tear on my left hand which I'm treating with Neosporin, a bandaid and rest over the weekend. Until that tear heals I'll probably switch to two handed swings with any single handed kettlebell work being Viking Push Presses till that tear heals up.

There are mornings when I'm in an office kind of setting for a few hours.

What do you suggest about A&A push-ups?

I started doing 15 seconds of push-ups on the minute for three minutes as an hourly break.

There are mornings when I'm in an office kind of setting for a few hours.

What do you suggest about A&A push-ups?

I started doing 15 seconds of push-ups on the minute for three minutes as an hourly break.

There are a few bodyweight suggestions in the comments, including burpees and explosive squats. I might also suggest jumping split squats, as described in a newsletter a little while back, but adapted to this article.

There are a few bodyweight suggestions in the comments, including burpees and explosive squats. I might also suggest jumping split squats, as described in a newsletter a little while back, but adapted to this article.
Thank you. Fabio's article with what I've learned about A&A are what led me to the approach in general.

Those are all interesting suggestions!!

Anyone here use 'heavy' sandbags for A+A training? Thought and experiences?

I have been playing around with sandbag clean to shoulder using a 120# sandbag. Takes about 15 seconds to get the bag from floor to shoulder and raises my HR into the 140s. I wait until my HR returns to 105 (160 minus my age) before the next repeat.

Hello, I have been reading about Aerobic + Alactic training and I see that there is a strong focus on the use of ballistic/power exercises.

However, I have been looking (maybe not as thoroughly as I should) and haven't found anyone considering the approach to this methodology using "kettlebell jump squats". From my perspective, it would meet the proposed objectives.

What do you think?

Best regards.

This is a wonderful thread that provides so much useful info. Thanks to all and especially Harald for creating and adding to it. I've read how so many different exercise can be adapted to the A + A protocol. I am wondering if explosive freestyle swimming sprints could be used to fit the A + A method? Does that fit into the ballistics group?

Hello, I have been reading about Aerobic + Alactic training and I see that there is a strong focus on the use of ballistic/power exercises.

However, I have been looking (maybe not as thoroughly as I should) and haven't found anyone considering the approach to this methodology using "kettlebell jump squats". From my perspective, it would meet the proposed objectives.

What do you think?

Best regards.
I actually used jump squats with a sandbag for a while on a 033 protocol. This was a few years back, but from what I remember it was excellent. I believe I was doing series of 5 and 7 for these as the weight was a bit heavier.

I actually used jump squats with a sandbag for a while on a 033 protocol. This was a few years back, but from what I remember it was excellent. I believe I was doing series of 5 and 7 for these as the weight was a bit heavier.
Thanks for your answer :)

How many times per week?

This is a wonderful thread that provides so much useful info. Thanks to all and especially Harald for creating and adding to it. I've read how so many different exercise can be adapted to the A + A protocol. I am wondering if explosive freestyle swimming sprints could be used to fit the A + A method? Does that fit into the ballistics group?
Yes, apparently some of the original AGT experiments were done with swimmers. There is a vague example in a footnote in AXE: They did 8 seconds of maximal accelerations, with flexible rest to allow BLa to be cleared.

@shaydund : Re Jump Squats:
I think you could start with something like 2-3x per week, 8 seconds of work, 52 seconds of rest (probably 3-4 reps). Try to find a weight that allows you to repeat high quality sets for up to 20 minutes. Later add 1-2 reps and repeat the progression.

If you haven't already, read AXE for more inspiration on how to program and progress.

When you do a press (push press or jerk) and you have to clean up afterwards or leave the KB on the floor, how do you do it. You take off the KB first on the chest and then leave it on the floor or after the press you take it straight down for the next cleaning (or leave it on the floor if the set is over).
Otherwise, today I tried A+A with clean and push press with KB20. I can't jerk well. There was no problem for 30 min. I sweated, but there was no great fatigue. And this is my KB, because with KB24 I hardly did a clean and press for 7 reps with the left arm and 5 with the right (my shoulder hurts a little).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom