all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Alactic + Aerobic

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The most gratifying (and valuable) thing for me is that since using this method of training my blood pressure has totally stabilized. I have had medicated reading of 135/85 or thereabouts for some considerable time but every now and then I would get a spike into the 140/90 region. No reason. Now I am consistently in the zone which satisfies my medical chap and experience more dips into the 128 / 82 area. This training is the only difference to my lifestyle so it gets the credit.

Yes.

definitely.

The same with my sessions, around 70% it is.

a reason or the reason I am into it is trust. First I trusted Al for his experience and wisdom he talks no superfluous words, when I started January 2016 with heavy swing protocols. Then my trust developed as I measured significant progress. All the months I gained trust in myself as the practitioner. Currently I just snatch on a daily basis, and do some locomotion work. Basic base work. I do that because of faith and habit, and to have something to think and do about.
Just snatch-program sounds actually pretty good to me. Pretty equal as strenght movement or conditioning movement. In your case it’s both. :)
I just started to do gtg snatches. It feels pretty good and my form is getting better already.
What you think is good frequency and lenght of the session?

Just snatch-program sounds actually pretty good to me. Pretty equal as strenght movement or conditioning movement. In your case it’s both.
For me it has a third component, as the snatch has an aim, namely catching the bell into lockout. I search it and enjoy it. It builds mobility, posture and alignment. It is the set up for the next rep.

Currently I have a strong bias towards the one arm snatch. My schedule at the moment is to get 5rx20 in on almost any day. I wave no intensity, no volume. The thing that is waving is density, according to my recovery of the day. It is kind of S&S inspired. A session can last 22min - 32min. A thing to consider is, that I am into snatching for a good amount of time, and consistent easy locomotion work helps tremendously to recover.

I just started to do gtg snatches. It feels pretty good and my form is getting better already.
What you think is good frequency and lenght of the session?
For A+A sessions around 5r x 10 to 5r x 34, 2-4 times a week would be something to start with. Waving volume from session to session, from week to week. For repeats for five a weight that you could snatch two times safely is fine. Then it is "just" accumulating volume over time, then going up a bell size...

For A+A sessions around 5r x 10 to 5r x 34, 2-4 times a week would be something to start with. Waving volume from session to session, from week to week. For repeats for five a weight that you could snatch two times safely is fine. Then it is "just" accumulating volume over time, then going up a bell size...
The way you put this has a certain feel that resonates nicely for me. Thanks Harald.

Do you think that doing sets of snatches not in one session but in chunks of 2-4 sets during the day (more GTG way) is still A+A? Are benefits the same?

Do you think that doing sets of snatches not in one session but in chunks of 2-4 sets during the day (more GTG way) is still A+A? Are benefits the same?
I’ll guess not because you are not into the right HR zone from the start of each session, and because aerobic exercise offers more benefits from longer sessions, perhaps for that reason.

-S-

In my case, doing A+A kettlebell swings (7-10 swings followed by complete rest until breathing normalised at about 122 bpm) led to

I'd say try it for a few week with the swing, just make sure you are doing it right. On the minute swings can be A+A, but equally might not be A+A. It all depends on your breath.

All of the above I've glean off @aciampa posts. They have been invaluable.

This is an excellent point that I don't see much. The ideal rest period will depend on your aerobic capacity and current physical condition, rather than any specific ratio I would guess.

Thanks. But the credit goes to you. I'd never heard of it before.

I should also add to my original post: Do not look at the clock, do not use a Gym Boss, or internal timer on your phone, or stopwatch. Never time the intervals between sets, nor go after a certain amount of time has passed. Start the next set only when you are breathing normally. Be guided by your breath.

It is useful to see how long a session has lasted. This way you know that the time taken to do 10x10 swings is less, and that you are getting stronger, and fitter. But remember it's not a race: you are not trying to beat your previous time. Let it happen of its own accord. And it will happen.

Likewise, sometimes it's useful not to time a session, as you might be able to do A+A for much more than 10x10, without the body getting fatigued. Besides, without clock watching the session has a natural, graceful flow, and is somehow less stressful. For me, it's as if I get into the flow, then 'melt' into the training.

Thanks for this advice. I will start this today. I would think that not using a timer would allow you to even better concentrate on rep quality and breathing when you are not counting.

I just tried ”Strenght aerobics”(clean,press,squat). I did just 10 repeats with single 32kg. One set took maybe 10 seconds and I rested as long as my breath was normal. I consider this a+a.
It took suprisingly long time to recover, not too much, but suprisingly long anyway.
After that I felt fresh, no sweat or huffing afterwards. Very civilized way to do conditioning. I felt great, I loved it.
I recommend this highly for everyone.

I just tried ”Strenght aerobics”(clean,press,squat). I did just 10 repeats with single 32kg. One set took maybe 10 seconds and I rested as long as my breath was normal. I consider this a+a.
It took suprisingly long time to recover, not too much, but suprisingly long anyway.
After that I felt fresh, no sweat or huffing afterwards. Very civilized way to do conditioning. I felt great, I loved it.
I recommend this highly for everyone.

Strength grinds do not work as well as more powerful work periods due to the rate of PCr depletion. Not everything that is ~10s work followed by adequate recovery is A+A, but what's in a name?

GTG would be something different, it would be the Alactic part of the work. there would be not enough work time nor accumulated energy expenditure to get the Aerobic recovery mechanism to fully kick in to do its work while breathing and shaking things out for rest. Multiple repeats per session up to 20, 30 occasionally even more is a hallmark of Alactic work + Aerobic recovery sessions.

I’ll guess not because you are not into the right HR zone from the start of each session, and because aerobic exercise offers more benefits from longer sessions, perhaps for that reason.

-S-

GTG would be something different, it would be the Alactic part of the work. there would be not enough work time nor accumulated energy expenditure to get the Aerobic recovery mechanism to fully kick in to do its work while breathing and shaking things out for rest. Multiple repeats per session up to 20, 30 occasionally even more is a hallmark of Alactic work + Aerobic recovery sessions.

Thank you @Steve Freides and @Harald Motz

snatch 44kg 03-22.PNG
snatch 44kg - 5r x 20 - 31:15 - 121/142
yesterdays snatch session with 44kg, after lots of volume with using 40kg. If I want to snatch a lot, I snatch a lot.

S&S 48kg  03-23.PNG
S&S 48kg - 1h swing 10rx10 - get up 1r x 10 - 24:35 - 128/140
was todays simple and sinister session.

A+A rocks, to be continued.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom