all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Alactic + Aerobic

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Would anti-glycotic training benefit me? If so, how do I go about it to see best benefit from it?

Do I do barbell strength training with KB ballistic anti-glycotic style after or should I be doing Harald Motz style one ballistic move for repeats with some easy cardio for a while? I feel that might not be enough to see results with fat loss etc. Thoughts?

My question back to you would be: what are the other options? Seriously, what else is on the table for the new user looking to the internet for advice. I’m a bit removed from this perspective. You should probably lift something challenging somwehat frequently, and run at an easy pace even more frequently. It’s not much more complex than that.

Long term training is base building. Base building has to be mostly moderate intensity, sprinkled lightly with some challenges. Peaking is a short term training strategy that should follow a longer period of base building. (You should also have a very good reason to use this.) Then, you get back to base building.

If you don’t think you can lose body fat on a moderate intensity program, you either don’t understand the biochemistry of metabolism or you’re too impatient, perhaps both. This is ok. Educate yourself and flex that difficult muscle.

Don’t look at body fat and composition in terms of calories; look at it in terms of tissue function. Improve function, improve body fat regulation. Nutrition is much simpler than we make it; the white noise is so damn deafening.

Last edited:
Don’t look at body fat and composition in terms of calories; look at it in terms of tissue function. Improve function, improve body fat regulation. Nutrition is much simpler than we make it; the white noise is so damn deafening.

Al, I believe you wrote on your blog some time ago (I'll find a link and post it here seperately), an article which concluded that better health and composition can be achieved if we simply eat less frequently, and eat more real food.

Is this part of what you're getting at here when you say that nutrition is simpler than we make it and not just to think in terms of calories?

For what it's worth, I've never been able to consistently track calories. I often have a rough idea based off eyeballing, but something about tracking meticulously just feels wrong to me...

Al, I believe you wrote on your blog some time ago (I'll find a link and post it here seperately), an article which concluded that better health and composition can be achieved if we simply eat less frequently, and eat more real food.

Is this part of what you're getting at here when you say that nutrition is simpler than we make it and not just to think in terms of calories?

For what it's worth, I've never been able to consistently track calories. I often have a rough idea based off eyeballing, but something about tracking meticulously just feels wrong to me...
That’s the simple practice. The simple perspective to which I am referring here w/r to metabolism is to restore function and not focus on the erroneous bank account analogy of calories.

published a week ago:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/obr.12785

The idea that there is one true, natural human diet to which we might all aspire is negated by the incredible variety of hunter‐gatherer diets recorded by early ethnographers and researchers today. Specifically, the suggestion that Palaeolithic cultures invariably had low‐carbohydrate diets is strongly challenged by detailed dietary assessments among living groups and in the fossil record 45

.....a good read.

published a week ago:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/obr.12785

The idea that there is one true, natural human diet to which we might all aspire is negated by the incredible variety of hunter‐gatherer diets recorded by early ethnographers and researchers today. Specifically, the suggestion that Palaeolithic cultures invariably had low‐carbohydrate diets is strongly challenged by detailed dietary assessments among living groups and in the fossil record 45

.....a good read.
I agree with this.

A body moving often for extended periods of time with low intensity work is a natural state for us humans throughout history, until recently.

I think @Al Ciampa 's point is reflected here..

"industrialized populations are prone to metabolic disease because they are less active and therefore expend fewer calories per day is not supported by metabolic measurements from hunter‐gatherers and other small‐scale societies 6, 7, 25, 26(Fig. 2). Rather than changing the amount of energy expended each day, exercise may improve health by affecting the allocation of energy among physiological tasks. For example, increased physical activity expenditure might reduce energy expended on inflammation and other deleterious activity 26. Exercise may also help to regulate appetite, improving the balance between energy expenditure and intake 34, 48, and exercise has been shown to help maintain weight loss 34. The regulatory effects of exercise warrant further attention."

Last edited:
That’s all good advice. Thank you.

What I take from that is yes, snatching and moderate cardio alone but done consistently will get results. But only if done consistently.

In other words, I should just get on with it! Thanks guys.
Yes!, think lifestyle, adjust nutrition to a balance between what you view as perfect and what you can live with, lift stuff regularly, get out and motor around on your legs at an easy pace often.

It's as easy or complicated as you think it is..

@Harry Westgate : at age 49 I dropped to 6.1% bodyfat (bodpod) while training / associating with @Al Ciampa . I never thought about calories, just smart macronutrients to fuel my function. I have a busy, unpredictable job and just don’t have the time or patience to measure with a micrometer while cutting with an axe.

Al Ciampa forever changed my life.

Good times! Thanks John.

I hope that you're enjoying the beer.

interesting comparison of my rows lately:

two weeks ago:
row 1.png
one week ago:
row 2.png

today:
row 3.png
so my average hr went down 13bpm in two weeks. I attribute that to immediate newbie gains as I am working on: Breath Control During Exercise – Be Well and Strong

speaks Al Ciampa:
"...Moreover, overbreathing during exercise increases the biological cost of the training session, making you less resilient to life’s other stressors and/or reducing the frequency of your training sessions, resulting in lower overall performance. The reverse is also accurate: Reducing your ventilation rate during exercise leads to a lower biological cost and allows you to train more often.

The only way to reduce your ventilation during exercise is to practice. You have to practice controlling your breath during exercise and reducing the intensity of the exercise if breathing grows beyond your control. You should also practice some form of breathing at rest, with the goal of reducing your unconscious ventilation rate. This often overlooked activity that most of us take for granted will increase your physical performance to unexpected heights if properly harnessed. It’s one of those things that you need to experience to understand…"

Since ten days I see my endurance work as a koan: how far can I get with a breath without getting out of breath? - that can not be understood, but has to be experienced.

Last edited:
Amazing results @Harald Motz. My resting HR dropped 10 beats when I started buteyko breathing, so it might be a similar effect. A drop of 13 beats for the same effort is pretty amazing.
Yes, very amazing. I am rereading "The Oxygen Advantage" and now make a point to work on some appliable schedules/guidelines from the book consistently. Currently I found a nice taste on it. And the results on my rowing in the two weeks comparison are quite remarkable, that I should not ignore it.

the last two rows are influenced by "breathing less", as I am working on breathing for ten days now. As it seems easier on the body it is harder for the mind. I just try to stick with the reduced breathing pattern on the row. In the end it may boil down to "just" rhythm. Another side effect is, that I don't need music anymore while rowing. Everyone who rows a bit for some time may know, how hard it can be to row "just a bit faster".

Yes, very amazing. I am rereading "The Oxygen Advantage" and now make a point to work on some appliable schedules/guidelines from the book consistently. Currently I found a nice taste on it. And the results on my rowing in the two weeks comparison are quite remarkable, that I should not ignore it.

What exercises of TOA are you practicing? I have practiced the walking breath holds and liked the results. I think it might have more carryover to exercise than the typical seated buteyko exercises, but not sure.

When rowing, are you keeping some kind of rhythm between rows and breaths? I have tried this cycling, ie: one breath each 10 pedals or so, but I couldnt make it work. It didnt fit right. But maybe with rowing, that is more paused and rhythmic, it would work well. FOr instance, 1 breathe every 2 rows, or something like that.

Another question. I haven’t achieved Simple. In fact, nowhere near it as 24kg is my heaviest bell and still not up to speed with it. Should I be working up to that before embarking on anything else?

Secondly, is Simple meant to be done anti-glycolic? In other words, explosive reps and breathing and heart rate down before the next 10 reps? Then only when you can do it in the 5:00 with resting fully in between have you actually achieved it?

Sorry if these are silly questions that may have been asked before...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom