all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Alactic + Aerobic

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hi

Wondered is anyone would care to comment on whether this is a sensible plan for a 47 year old currently doing S&S with 16kg for the getups and 24kg for the swings.

• Continue with S&S as often as time allows, probably four or five times a week, doing the swings on the minute in sets of 10
  • Run twice a week between 2 and 5 miles at a time at a low enough intensity that I can breathe through my nose
  • Maybe one other workout every week or two weeks where I push a bit harder for variety
This is my first post but I've been spending a lot of time reading on here and I'd like to thank all of you for the great information.

Hi

Wondered is anyone would care to comment on whether this is a sensible plan for a 47 year old currently doing S&S with 16kg for the getups and 24kg for the swings.

• Continue with S&S as often as time allows, probably four or five times a week, doing the swings on the minute in sets of 10
  • Run twice a week between 2 and 5 miles at a time at a low enough intensity that I can breathe through my nose
  • Maybe one other workout every week or two weeks where I push a bit harder for variety
This is my first post but I've been spending a lot of time reading on here and I'd like to thank all of you for the great information.
Sounds like a great plan Craig! Simple and effective..

@Craig1971 sounds good! Two things: the session you wish to push harder can still be a S&S session. About running, nose breathing might or might not be a good indicator. I can go up to 170 bpm nose breathing, and you should aim for 130 bpm or less.

Good advice Ocar, thanks. Went running today and it was much easier to keep track of things with the monitor. Pulse shot up going uphill (and there's lots of hills were I live) so I ended up walking a bit.

Last edited:
This is a great question. If you give it enough time, I am sure that you can work all day... but no one has that kind of time to donate to PT alone. Higher volume will only cause fatigue later in the day if: they are too heavy, and/or you forced the accumulation of volume.

I think that the reconciliation with work and life is snatching moderately heavy, and sometimes heavy, (and sometimes light-er) for an average of 30 repeats; 20 is probably the rock bottom for continued progression.
Just for clarity, are we talking averaging 30 repeats every day?

Currently I just snatch on a daily basis, and do some locomotion work. Basic base work. I do that because of faith and habit, and to have something to think and do about.
@Harald Motz How are you managing your daily snatch volume? Just kind of spending each day by feel?

OK, I had to go to the next page to get an idea of what I was asking, so @Harald Motz you already answered it. Thanks for your insights.

Last edited:
(I am a long-time lurker on the forums. Thanks for the great information) I have been experimenting with variable rest intervals that increase over time. I heard this idea on a podcast that Craig Marker did with the primal fitness guy. As I train I get closer and closer to glycolytic. Thus, I start increasing my rest intervals until my heart rate goes down enough that I know the next interval it won't go over my threshold. It varies a bit day to day, but it is interesting. Does that make any sense to do it that way?

(I am a long-time lurker on the forums. Thanks for the great information) I have been experimenting with variable rest intervals that increase over time. I heard this idea on a podcast that Craig Marker did with the primal fitness guy. As I train I get closer and closer to glycolytic. Thus, I start increasing my rest intervals until my heart rate goes down enough that I know the next interval it won't go over my threshold. It varies a bit day to day, but it is interesting. Does that make any sense to do it that way?
I actually meant to reply to this earlier...
Most of us who have been doing A+A for a while don't time our rest periods. We just go when we're ready to go. As a result, you do sometimes see the rest periods increase over the course of a training session.

I actually meant to reply to this earlier...
Most of us who have been doing A+A for a while don't time our rest periods. We just go when we're ready to go. As a result, you do sometimes see the rest periods increase over the course of a training session.

Lately, I’ve been recovering to a target HR - usually between 95 and 110bpm

In a nutshell--to me, going by the clock feels intellectually or mentally precise but physiologically arbitrary.

Agreed, but I often like using the clock just to keep myself mentally focused and on track.

So I set an interval that is long enough for sufficient recovery at the end of my session, based on prior experience. It will be longer than necessary at the beginning, but not by the end.

BTW, I have never used heartrate to gauge set to set recovery, or any other purpose for that matter. I've played around with monitors in the past, but just found it a distracting annoyance (or annoying distraction).

until my heart rate goes down enough that I know the next interval it won't go over my threshold

I think everyone has gone away from this specifically (trying to keep the heart rate under a certain threshold). Keeping HR under a value is meaningful for steady state work, but is not meaningful for power repeats. It also can incentivise the wrong tendencies; i.e., not giving the work set a full, explosive effort.

What is meangful: the rate of HR recovery after the work set, keeping the trend in a session to where you see the HR recover down to somewhat of a baseline as opposed to continuously rising as the session goes on, and the trend over time as you continue to train this way -- being able to do more work at a lower HR.

The reason I asked is to get an idea of your HR range. I noticed I have to recover to lower HR as the session progresses - every set tends to push it up faster.
I definitely see an upward trend as the session goes on. I keep the same target HR for recovery throughout the session. The time it takes to recover to the target certainly increases with more repeats.

I think everyone has gone away from this specifically (trying to keep the heart rate under a certain threshold). Keeping HR under a value is meaningful for steady state work, but is not meaningful for power repeats. It also can incentivise the wrong tendencies; i.e., not giving the work set a full, explosive effort.

What is meangful: the rate of HR recovery after the work set, keeping the trend in a session to where you see the HR recover down to somewhat of a baseline as opposed to continuously rising as the session goes on, and the trend over time as you continue to train this way -- being able to do more work at a lower HR.

Anna, I sort of agree and disagree with you at the same time. Go figure... What makes HR go up higher and higher with every set during A+A session? I think it is the gradual rise, or accumulation, of lactate. So if the goal is to keep lactate under a certain level then maybe certain HR rate limit might be meaningful to observe. I don't know. What is the HR number is another question altogether. I am pretty much thinking aloud here.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom