all posts post new thread

Nutrition alcoholic drinks

• Thread starter Deleted member 316
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

I occasionally go out with my wife and her friends for an evening get together. What drink would be the lesser of all the evils? I was thinking a Ceasar. At least you're getting some veggies (usually comes with celery and of course the base of the drink is tomato juice).

Wine. With or without steak and veg. By the glass or by the bottle, very much depending on the circumstances, usually involving bad karaoke, dad dancing, swearing and poor food choices at 2am. I may add, the latter is very rare these days! If you like a tipple, enjoy it, in moderation. Wine is my one and only choice, not for any health reasons, I like the taste, enjoy the pretension of trying to work out if it's french and enjoy getting mildly hammered now and then. I'll get my coat.......!

Usually I only have one or two. By no means do I get drunk or tipsy. I just want to stay away from pop.

@HUNTER1313, I would think judging an alcohol by color might work. Likely that clear things are mostly alcohol and lower in "pollutants" like sugars and flavorings.

NB: I am just back from Italy, and grappa gets my vote. :)

-S-

The Germans brew their beer according to a law of purity, which goes back to 1516, and it seems, that there is quite some tradition. In Bavaria (a landscape in Germany, which is to me like a foreign country, very special hard to understand dialect, very traditional in their habits and clothing, leatherpants for the men, a Dirndl for the ladies, well known for the Münchner Oktoberfest. Yes, special, but I like it. Heck, their traditional beer glasses contain 1liter, it is up to the angloamerican audience, to get, how much that is) it is quite usual in many companies for the workers to have a beer at work. For them beer is "basic nourishment".
Lastly I let the mighty Arthur Saxon speak:" Spirits I have proved to be disatvantegeous to the would be athlete, and my favourite drink is lager beer. Beer an stout should be amongst alcoholic liquours the best drink for the weightlifter, as they are better calculated to build up the physical powers than any spirit drink, such as whiskey or brandy." (The development of physical power by A.Saxon, p.52) This unbelievable man even admits that he is a smoker, but says that moderation is the key.

I'd think you should order what you like. If you're only ordering one or two drinks every once in a while, I'm not sure that's enough for the specific selection to have much of an impact.

Beer, I love beer with a passion, but I keep myself in check. Only on Saturday's and its rare that I drink more than 2 and 3 is definitely max. I know the wheat/hops is not good and all that, but I make sure to take electrolytes before bed and when I wake up in the morning to combat dehydration. It gives me incentive to keep my diet clean and right now it's sparkling clean. I'm getting stronger and losing weight so it can't be hurting me too bad.

I just remember reading somewhere that beer increases estrogen. Just have to up that brussel sprout intake to counter!

Red wine, then hard liquor like whiskey and cognac, white wine, light beer, hard cider, regular beer, then mixed drinks with flavoring and sugars added. Hard liquor and wine have polyphenols and other cancer-fighting properties that make it the best out of a bad choice.

Harald, reading up on Saxon and his diet of cigarettes and alcohol. He, and his brothers, also ate substantially. A mere 24 eggs, 3 pounds of bacon, porridge and cream,honey, marmalade and tea with sugar. Dinner was 10 pounds of meat with veg, no potatoes, raw and cooked fruits, cakes, salad, sweet puddings, cocoa and whipped cream and more sweet tea. After their shows, supper was cold meat, smoked fish, butter and cheese washed down with beer and cigarettes. Bed at 1am. Up at 9. They had their own health drink: dark lager beer or Dublin stout, mixed with gin, egg yolk and sugar. Yikes!! No a fat loss smoothie in sight!

For anyone interested, I found a PDF copy of the Arthur Saxon book "The development of Physical Power" that Harald referenced here.

All,

Interesting thread. Personally, I enjoyed the note on Saxon. Here is one of the strongest men to have lived who ignored common diet/alcohol advice and excelled anyway. Immediately prior to achieving the Simple goals for the first time last year, I was feeling run down. I was traveling, working and doing S&S. For a recovery meal, I had about 12 large coconut shrimp, a 20 oz steak, a salad, a large baked potato washed down with 2x20 oz Guinness and a Jameson for good measure. Slept 9 hours, woke up and crushed the goal. In fact, a steak and stout has been my go-to recovery meal since.

I say drink what you like, when you like (a pint of stout as an intra-workout recovery drink, anyone?). Let your activity level dictate your diet, like Saxon. Life is too short not to live at all.

Jon

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom