all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed All About Warm-Ups

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 5559

I usually rotate through a few different warm-ups and was wondering what others are doing to warm-up and why. Do you vary depending on what the training session is, etc?

I usually use one or a blend of the following:
  1. S&S warmup
  2. OS Resets
  3. Light sets of whatever the working movements are
  4. Weaknesses/Correctives
  5. Jog
  6. Yoga

S and S warmup, usually add thoracic work like Bretzels, as mobility in that area has been a past problem. Have added some things I have learned from yoga mostly for hips. Often a bodyweight getup or two as well. I do find as I am getting older ( mid-late 40's) that I really need to do something before I go to bed, like the straddle from S&S or some short specific hip opening yoga stuff...makes a huge difference how I feel whe I first get up the next day.

Depends on my day prior to training. If I've had some mobility on my dog walk usually a couple of get ups and some goblets. Bit more elaborate if time permits. I like a lot of movement variety. If time is short, couple of arm circle warm ups, couple of bodyweight squats and straight into it. My preference is some breathing, a whole load of movement variety, nice and relaxed, goblets, get ups, skin the cat, then strength session, stretch and chill later. From almost zero sometimes to everything under the sun at others. Today was one mobility light get up, 2 light windmills, 5 goblets, short pressing sesh. 20 minutes, start to finish.

Arm bars (straight and bent), McGill's big 3, sometimes some extra flexible steel/t-spine stuff if I'm feeling particularly stiff.

I do this because, through experimentation, I generally feel a lot better while lifting if I do. I also lift second thing in the morning after meditation so it's good to limber up a little after being in bed and sitting for x hours.

I do mobility work while waiting for my coffee. I consider it my warm up for the day.
for exercise usually just Goblet squats, sometimes German hangs if my shoulders are tight.

I vary between S&S WU, OS and joint mobility exercises. If I am really pressed with time, I do no warm-up. There is however usually one arm bar in it as well, irrespective of whether I am doing S&S or joint mobility.

I freestyle the warm-up depending on what I did the day before, what my body feels like it needs, and what I'm about to do for training. A few samples from my training log. These are all on different days:
  • 3-way neck stretch, 5 goblet squats & halos 12kg, some yoga flow, shoulder dislocates and shoulder circles w/ PVC, 1 mobility get-up w/ 12kg
  • Cossack squats, 2 mobility get-ups 12kg, shoulder circles and dislocates w/ PVC pipe
  • Some jumping jacks, stretches, goblet squats, halos, and shoulder circles/dislocates with PVC pipe
  • Warm-up stretches, mobility get-up 16kg, get-up with presses 16kg, Cossack squats with mobility, T-spine mobility and Brettzel
  • 10 min walk/jog on treadmill with arm warmups while walking
  • A little stretching and mobility, and light snatches
  • A few Cossack squats and stretches. 2km on the C2, 10 min. Brought the heart rate up slowly but did some hard pulls at the end to warm up the legs.
  • A few warm-up stretches, goblet squats, and shoulder circles and dislocates w/ PVC, and arm bar 16kg
  • 1.5 mile MAF run / Mobility get-up 16kg

Great topic, as it is a thing I am musing, thinking and doing about.

I am one of an "other" guy.

What I do, I do. I do this, and I am into an habit when I do something repeatedly. It is not something I would advise to do.

I set myself up to weight and lift it. Then someone could argue, that it is just that light. Maybe. I set myself up, to get my set up, which for me is my crucial point.

the second lift is "easier" than the first. Setting up and getting the groove.

@Harald Motz, sounds like me. When I'm following the DD Deadlift plan, the 75% weight on the bar is just something I walk up to and lift after mostly mental preparation and, yes, the second lift is easier than the first, but I still don't see any point in warming up because that first lift _was_ the warmup.

I guess I should add, in the interest of completeness, that I do some things within a few minutes of waking. I do a few, easy, TKD-style side kicks - feels great on my hips, often makes my back crack in a good way. I also put my legs up, one at a time, on the front porch railing and stretch my hamstrings and hips a little before I head out for my morning breathing walk, and usually do some of those qigong-like things where you let your arms hit you like whips as you twist back and forth.

I don't think of those things as warmups, though, more like joint mobility than any effort to warmup muscles.

-S-

Prying goblets, back extensions, power swings, band pullaparts, band shoulder dislocates, armbars, single leg deads.

I choose a couple before my sessions.

I look at it more as mobility/prehab/movement prep.

If you have the time, no point in not doing it, in my opinion.

When I'm following the DD Deadlift plan, the 75% weight on the bar is just something I walk up to and lift after mostly mental preparation and, yes, the second lift is easier than the first, but I still don't see any point in warming up because that first lift _was_ the warmup.
I did a run on DDD and it was/is just like that. The DDD in an of itself would be another great thread.
Percentage give or take a few. There is something about/around the 80%. It is a weight, one can get on to, think about a second or two, to set up and lift just once, for a decent rep. It is heavy, but not to much. It takes some (mental) effort, but not to much.
I know, I can get down to the floor to get up with my 50kg although 52kg is mould in, anytime and anyday.

@Steve Freides 80% or 75%. I think it's a weight one can lift decently, with some mental preparation for one rep. (as a warm up). The second rep will go smoother. There is some great power of this one rep. This one rep of preparation.

Currently I am pondering and doing on just this. Coming home from work, and going to lift.

Curious to what part of your day do those of you that don't warm-up train?

I usually train within ~15min of waking up and I'm a little stiff with morning grip and if I walked up and snatched right off the bat would likely have to pull a KB out of the drywall. I also find that my range of motion is significantly improved for all my working sets which helps to keep good mechanics and benefit more from those sets.

I use OS resets + Goblet Squats & mace swings as my warm-up and work on some spices (Spices vs. Main Dishes: How to Program a Proper Training Menu) like Bottoms-Up carries or SLDLs.
If I'm very short on time just a couple of shoulder dislocates, unloaded hinges and a few bodyweight squats.

I don't need to warm-up though.
Of course the load is very different than the one used in a deadlift, but I can walk to up to my 1-2RM press KB any time of the day and clean & press it without tweaking my back or anything like that. No warm-up needed.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom