all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed All About Warm-Ups

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I typically train in the very late afternoon or in the evening. Basically some time after work when I have time.

On weekends and special occasions I may get to train a bit earlier and it's a welcome change.

I like to be awake for at least an hour or so before training.

Even if I do not warm-up per se, I do some mobility or flexibility work throughout the day. I really like pandiculation and it's a great way to start the day. I also like to do it after sitting for a long time in a car or behind a desk, for example. If I feel some part of my body is tight I do some light stretches when moving around. Call it GTG stretching, if you will.

But I do not see this mobility or flexibility work to help me train better. If anything, I try to avoid it before training. I like tension when training. I do sometimes do a couple of shoulder or hip circles between sets, but that's all.

I have experimented with lots of different warmups and movement prep. Some short some, 30min or more. I will spend 10-15min on warmup and setting up my lifts for the practice. I will change and adapt my warmup depending on what I think I need on the day. I would generally ramp up to my work sets, but not lately.

I used to spend time on SMR before training but now I am not sure it made a difference. A foam roller, rumble Roller, PVC pipe Roller, Barbell lacrosse ball, softball, peanut, all sorts of tools. A Roller is a good tool to use for stretching though.

Doing some light lifting, stretching, correctives, and/or movement gets me physically and mentally ready to practice. I preform much better compared to just doing my work sets. I envy those flexible and functions enough to skip the warmup, and exercise effectively.

I´m practicing S&S, and I have noticed that my first set of goblet squats I feel like Robocop, the second one I feel like Frankestein, and the third one everything gets loose and I feel like a normal human being. I really notice the difference.

Depends on the day, but most always side planks, calf stretches, and wrist mobility!

Pandiculation... Yeah I never knew there was a word for it. Thanks, @Antti

I think it's really important but somehow we forget to do it!

I became aware of the benefits of it a couple of years ago from this video "The Fuzz Speech", which is a little weird and morbid, but really interesting. He talks about melting the fuzz. Yeah, check it out.

Upon waking I do some kind of movement flow, which I update and adjust every few weeks. Right now I do rock and bobs, an unweighted rowing movement that I combine with pronation/supination of my hands, unweighted windmills, unweighted squats, and then 4 TGUs (2 singles per side). I do an overhead squat in the middle of each TGU, and I just started doing some presses in different positions as well. 5-10 minutes total.

Before training I do 2 rounds of: Calf bounces (unweighted), goblet squats, an easy press/windmill/overhead squat complex, and single leg DL's. I just use whatever weight I'm going to use for my training session. 5-10 minutes total. I train anywhere from an hour(ish) after I wake up to right before dinner.

Great topic.

I'd be an 'other' while sometimes slipping into 'light sets'.

Mainly my warm ups consist of:

-a few pumps (upward/downward dog transition)
-a few bodyweight goblet squats (rocking and holding bottom position)
-a chin up or two, slow on eccentric

Normally I feel good to go from here but sometimes I'll throw in some arm circles. This all takes 5 minutes maximum but helps get mind and body prepared.

My warm-ups are varied as well. mobility (ie super joints, flexible steel, bretzel, shoulder dislocates), stability (ie SLDL, goblet squats, swing clubs or steel mace work), really does depend on what I'm doing, how much time I have and what I did the day before. if I'm stiff, I'll move more than if I'm feeling loose and ready to go. I generally don't spend a tonne of time on warming up but I do spend more time than none.

I think it depends on what you have planned. For something like Pull-ups, IMO there's little need for a warm up. For something like Pistols there's good reason to prime the CNS a bit with similar movements (Cossack squats, prying Goblet squats).
For pressing, some shoulder dislocators to loosen up the shoulder girdle? Also kind of depends. If you spent all day at a desk in front of a computer, it may behoove you to open up the shoulders and work on some thoracic extension. But if you've got solid mobility in the shoulders, then it's less necessary-- if at all.

It's good to keep in mind that with whatever you're warming up with, it's meant to prime you for the work ahead. Sitting in the bottom of a squat position lackadaisically is counter-productive IMO. Holding a KB and doing the same is a different story.

I also like flexing. Not bodybuilding stage flexing, but contracting the muscles intensely for a few seconds as a body awareness drill. In combination with forceful exhalation.

The S&S Warm Up has been perfect for me the past year or so even though I have know about it since 2014. The 3 rounds of 5-Prying Goblet Squats and 5-Hip Bridges are a must for me every session whether it's a lower or upper body day but will tend to skip the Halos. Lately I have had to throw in some Hip Flexor Stretching during the warm up since I feel like I always have tight hips due to working a desk job. If I'm going to do any type of pressing, band pull aparts fit the bill in terms of getting my shoulders loose and ready for the work ahead.

I received Pavel's Resilience DVD yesterday, and had a look at it. Interesting moves! I plan to do those as warm up. Did the neck portion this morning. I really can't say if it was beneficial or not, I am still running around with my neck injury (had an MRI last Sunday, and doctor's visit coming Friday). But I'll keep y'all posted :)

I do some joint mobility upon awakening which takes about 5 minutes then I do 3 circuits of the S&S drills which takes about 8 minutes and I'm ready to go. The genius in S&S is in its simplicity. Like Einstein said...."Everything should be made as simple as possible...but not simpler." There's no reason to reinvent the wheel 10,000 times, repackage it and sell it as the latest greatest and this is what I love about Strongfirst and Pavel.

What has been will be again
What will be done will be done again
There is nothing new under the sun

Ecclesiastes 1:9

Reactions: Lee
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom