all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed All at once or spread out

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Benos4752

Level 2 Valued Member
I think I know the answer to this, but wanted to ask anyways. Assuming you have the time to do this and aren't sacrificing other things like family time or whatever, are there any benefits to doing to doing all your training in one block vs spread out over the day?

For example, say you had to do squats, military press, and pull-ups. Does it make a difference if you did them all between 1500-1600 or if instead you did squats upon waking, MP at lunch, and pull-ups before dinner? Again, assuming timing isn’t a factor.

Thanks

@Benos4752, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

The only downsides are whatever need to warmup you may have, and hypertrophy/pump goals.

Otherwise, there are only upsides. You will be fresher, you will be able to get a lot more done, and you will also have trained your body to be able to demonstrate its strength at any time of the day. I have known, e.g., some trainers who schedule themselves 10-15 minutes between clients and do a little exercise in those short blocks of time all throughout the course of the day. This could work for anyone who can schedule themselves, provided you have access to whatever equipment you need - for trainers, since they're already at a gym typically, that isn't an issue.

-S-

I asked this same question at Dan John's forum and got much the same answer, one even as succinct as that's pro's train.

I've done it for the last month and a half, and I liked it a lot. Following a Tactical Barbell style cluster of back squat, bench press, pull up, and deadlift 3x/wk, I split it in two. Before I split it, I found that SQ and DL interfered a bit because they both hit the low back hard. And pull ups and DL interfere a bit as well, like the grip. I tried alternating the order each session, but splitting was even better:

A:
Squat
Pull up
B:
Deadlift
Bench Press

The only downside is having to mentally re-engage a second time. It's made easier by remembering there's only two moves to work on, but there isn't that satisfaction after the AM session. That feeling of, no matter what happens today, at least I got my workout in.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom