all posts post new thread

Nutrition Alternate Day Fasting = Less Fat Loss Than Continuous Caloric Restriction

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Many tout the 20/4 ish way. Nsima Inyang, Brian Johnson, Pavel Tsatsouline, Amen Ra, Wim Hof, Herchal Walker, and a few more that are slipping my mind right now. Obviously it work and can work quite well. Some of the aforementioned people have different physiques. So can you gain muscle? Yes. Can you be lean? Yes. I'm sure training and such has a large impact. If 18/6 is your thing, so be it. I prefer to eat at the end of the day.

Many tout the 20/4 ish way. Nsima Inyang, Brian Johnson, Pavel Tsatsouline, Amen Ra, Wim Hof, Herchal Walker, and a few more that are slipping my mind right now. Obviously it work and can work quite well. Some of the aforementioned people have different physiques. So can you gain muscle? Yes. Can you be lean? Yes. I'm sure training and such has a large impact. If 18/6 is your thing, so be it. I prefer to eat at the end of the day.

Whether 20/4 or 18/6, it's pretty different from the alternate day fasting (150% one day, 0% the next) this study discusses.

Last edited:
Whether 20/4 or 18/6, it's pretty different from the alternate day fasting (150% one day, 0% the next) this study discusses.
I agree completely. Typical when IF is mentioned it's a daily restriction as in 16/8, 18/6 or 20/4. However almost always the 5/2 alternate day fast is mentioned in the same breath.
I think that a vast majority of those doing IF is due to the convenience and ease. Some might do it for weight loss, but it's not the best plan for that. Those that really do some research do it for the Autophagy. I could care less at my age about gaining lbm or losing fat. I don't need to pursue either goal as 11% bf and 186lbs lbm is fine for me.
It would be interesting to see if the 5/2 and 20/4 styles result in the same levels of Autophagy...

It might be worthwile to read this blog (and especially the studies it cites) if you are looking for a critical look at fasting and autophagy. (always a good idea to re evaluate what you "know" to paraphrase Dan John)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom