all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Alternate programming for Naked Warrior?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

As Karen says, GTG is a good strategy, but it requires the "ideal dose": not enough, you will not get the required volume to gain strength. Too many you will be exhausted (not enough rest) and you won't progress. You use GTG when you "feel strong" and you don't when you feel weak. Power loves rests

I use GTG simultaneously with another program, thus I practice GTG only 4 times a week.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Karen Smith would you then say that a ladder protocol like the one I outlined above might be better suited to the 3x per week approach with a med/light/heavy split? Rather than the moderate almost daily approach I was hinting at? A bit like the ROP? Also would cutting back on the volume on the med/light days (e.g. one less rung per ladder or something like that) be a sufficient way to wave the load when it comes to bodyweight exercises? Or is it better to use easier variations of each drill? I'd also add that I came up with the above protocol with 'conditioning' in mind as well as strength.

Thanks in advance! :)

Aha! Someone's asking for the programme I've put together and started following myself!

Superset OAPUs and Pistols.

Start with ladders of 1,2,3, and gradually work up to ladders of 2,3,5 (I.e. One extra rep per ladder per session as it gets easier).

Do three ladders with 3 minutes of rest between ladders.

When 3x(2,3,5) becomes easy, start over at 3x(1,2,3) with a more difficult variation of each drill.

Enjoy! I took inspiration for this from Pavel's 'strength aerobics' article. It's great for both strength development and A+A conditioning in a short time frame.
This may be a silly question, Harry, but why work up to ladders of 2,3,5? I know thou shalt not count past 3 to 4, but 5 is right out.

Gratuitous Monty Python reference aside, why skip 4?

@mightstone2k what Steve said; I like fibonacci ladders of 2,3,5... 10 total reps, 30 reps per limb with 3 ladders. That's some pretty hefty volume.

FWIW, when progressing these ladders I now just stick with 3x(2,3,5) but introduce a tougher variation of each drill one rung at a time, rather than starting all over at 3x(1,2,3). Makes keeping count workout to workout easier for me as I don't always write everything down.

Hello,

10 reps allow you to have both a significant training volume without exhaustion (if you do not go to higher reps) and strength, while maintaining a good form.
Indeed, the differents number of reps of each ladder make each rep more difficult but give you time to rest. This prevent injuries.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Karen Smith would you then say that a ladder protocol like the one I outlined above might be better suited to the 3x per week approach with a med/light/heavy split? Rather than the moderate almost daily approach I was hinting at? A bit like the ROP? Also would cutting back on the volume on the med/light days (e.g. one less rung per ladder or something like that) be a sufficient way to wave the load when it comes to bodyweight exercises? Or is it better to use easier variations of each drill? I'd also add that I came up with the above protocol with 'conditioning' in mind as well as strength.

Thanks in advance! :)

With BW training you have a few ways to wave the load. When programming you have to decide your goal and what will work best in your life/work etc. So let me say it depends. :)
The training variable are intensity, density and volume, so you can select a variable and proceed. If you adjust only volume then yes you would do more or less rungs. If you select to change another variable then selecting different progressions is the best way to wave the load and stay fresh and make quick strength gains with a 3x week program.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom